So its 2014 and time for New Tech for the Desktop - Now what?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by v8designstudio, Jan 8, 2014.

1. v8designstudio

Dear desktop peeps,

Ok, so the new Macpro will be released as stock with a 256gb SSD. The new iMacs are being released with the standard 1TB SATA drives as are the new mac minis.

Now all of these desktop tech has thunderbolt ports and USB 3. Can anyone who has personally and ACTUALLY TRIED and tested these tech using external storage as boot drive give the community a heads up?

I know the Macpro's flash drive is upto speed so lets forego that desktop monster for now, but how about the imac and the mini? if you use a thunderbolt or USB 3 external storage as boot drive, what speed performance differences are experienced? is it faster?

Additionally, where do we buy thunderbolt storage? There's Lacie and Gtech but who sells them locally? There are a few that spurts off at sulit or some other - but mannn… thats a stone's throw on warranties, considering many are simply converting online prices to pesos minus a few hundreds - there's no real user protection (after sales) there except international warranties which is - well, a headache and another throw.

Im going to make inputs myself if i get myself a thunderbolt storage - but in the meantime, i'm thirsty for info on those already in the speed tech loop.

2. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, you can do what I did for Thunderbolt storage.

Buy a GoFlex Desk External Drive (they come in 1, 2, 3 or 4TB, and are readily available), then buy a GoFlex Thunderbolt Adapter in Greenhills (kinda pricey—around P7.5 or more), and then a Thunderbolt cable. Voila, Thunderbolt External Drive. It's fast, man.

Check here for my review of this setup two years ago for Technoodling.

3. Netskipper

Netskipper PhilMUG Addict Member

I remember seeing a youtube video about someone who experimented read & write performance of various hard disk & interface configurations. He tested standard hard disks, SSDs then used USB3, Firewire800 and Thunderbolt. It was very interesting but for me I did not need the fastest configuration so I filed it under "nice to know" which means I didn't file it hehe

I'll try to find it & post it here.

4. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

5. v8designstudio

I am loving the reads. Thank you.
    I shall return with some thoughts.
    Bests!

6. josecarlo1129

josecarlo1129 Active Member

Thanks to this thread. Truly, enlightening. I might proceed with the 3.0 then. Cheers.

7. Jsnc

Jsnc Active Member

I think Microwarehouse still carries Lacie.

8. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Some WD drives have compatibility issues when using USB 3.0 hub. I was itching to replace my Belkin USB 2.0 hub when I read the disclaimer on one of the Anker 3.0 hubs.