Snow Leopard is Intel-only

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by yoh_hectic, Jun 9, 2009.

1. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

It's true, part of the refinement of OS X is no more PowerPC support. This isn't as bad as it sounds as the Apple's Intel transition started way back in 2005.

So even if you bought a PowerMac G5 back in August 7, 2006 you had a run of more than 3 years.

2. loko__loko

loko__loko Well-Known Member

ows? haay.. my imac g4 ...

3. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

Leopard is working fine with my powerbook and no regrets with it. Part of Apple's slowly removing support for PPC macs.

4. anthonyramos84

Does apple have any valid reason why Snow Leopard can't be used on PPC Macs? Does it really have to do with the capability of the PPC CPUs?

5. chetiboy

chetiboy Active Member

perhaps because, they're no longer producing PPC macs and are inviting everyone to buy intel macs?

6. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

It's probably a cost-benefit decision. It requires a lot of resources to support legacy systems, with little upside.

This, of course, does not mean that legacy support. Leopard (maybe Tiger too?) will continue to evolve, and those updates will continue to be free.

Instead of making Snow Leopard fat and heavy (like Windows) to support legacy architectures, focus on a leaner, more efficient OS for current and future generations of chips. I think it's a reasonable business decision, unless you prefer that they an abominable Snow Leopard for all, just to support legacies.

My wife has a PPC iBook, which died a natural death. She got a Macbook, which we will soon be a Snow bunny. ;)

On the other hand, I came across a blog recently that dispelled this rumor. So maybe Apple *is* deliberately trying to do a snow job. ;)

#6 rbenzon, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  7. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

This is the shed of 6GB I guess...

8. v8designstudio

Go Snow! we're all waiting for you.
    We're all ready to buy, just don't make us cry.
    Or you'll lose your following and worth,
    just like how Vista got burned even before hitting the earth.

9. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

In Apple's efforts to trim off the fat from OS X, sacrificing support for the PPCs was inevitable. In the end, we get a faster and more efficient operating system. Pair that with the new Mac hardware and you get a better computing experience. At least, Leopard still worked on the older Macs. I don't think we can say the same for its Vista counterpart and the older PCs, hehehe... ;)

10. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

This was announced way back and people on leopard or PPC machines have had all the time to prepare for it.

If Apple can make my already fast machine faster (I browse with 20-30 tabs open in firefox with itunes, transmission, adium, word, bridge and photoshop open with no problem) go for it!

11. anthonyramos84

Points well made! :)