Smoked Barbecue

Discussion in 'Food' started by Juice, Aug 26, 2014.

1. zoo101

zoo101 Well-Known Member

@Juice
    I'll buy one of those rolls if ever you decide to venture commercially. Akala ko panalo na yang bacon and egg breakfast ko kanina hehehe

Juice, you said research on propane or charcoal, I'm assuming you're referring to the grill?

2. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

@zoo101

If you can find a smoker instead of a grill that'll be good. If not, then a grill can be a smoker too depending on how it is built. Plus if you don't already own one, then you'll have two for one. I love grilling. If it's a gas grill and you can turn off one side of the burners, then it's possible to use it as a smoker. You need to be able to do indirect cooking where one side is the heat source, and there's space for food on the other.

As for the bacon bombs, you're not alone hahaha. I had plans to put up a proper barbecue place last year, but my main business demands more from me.

#122 Juice, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    zoo101 likes this.
  3. alikishi

alikishi Well-Known Member

how long do you smoke your meat? I plan to cook some baby back ribs tomorrow :)

4. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

Same with their Glorietta branch. Plenty of wood chips and chunks as of yesterday.

5. Juice

Supporter

I realised your post was Saturday. If I cook for my family, I smoke ribs at 230-250 until tender. But if it's for a party, I use the foil method, 2 hours smoke, 3 hours foiled and an additional 1 hour(no foil), at 250F. Then I glaze it with bbq sauce.

6. alikishi

alikishi Well-Known Member

that's 230-250F? and I assume you use a smoker? :)

7. zoo101

zoo101 Well-Known Member

@Juice, if its not too much of a hassle, can you post a pic of your grill/smoker setup?

8. yehey9

yehey9 PhilMUG Addict Member

thinking of getting a smoker also, but I might use it just two to three times then put it out on storage. So i'm on the lookout for cheap DIY smokers. thinking of creating this specific build.
    [​IMG]

I just want to make my own baconnnnnnnnnnnn..

Juice and zoo101 like this.
  9. zoo101

zoo101 Well-Known Member

@yehey9

since i live in an apartment complex, this just might work for me

10. Juice

Supporter

@zoo1
    IMG_4907.jpg IMG_4908.jpg IMG_4909.jpg IMG_4910.jpg
    I mostly use the vertical smoker now. The off set smoker is useful when the meat can't fit in the vertical. I use the kettle grill for steaks after I smoke them(reverse searing).

zoo101, ronjet and kaotep like this.
  11. jlconferido

jlconferido Well-Known Member

Is Big D's really smoked? (Yours truly is tired of backreading) staff told me that they do. Ordered pulled pork and I got a big disappointment.

12. Juice

Supporter

I don't know, I haven't tried it. Ask them what wood they use. Maybe the wood flavour isn't that good, or maybe they only smoke their ribs and not the pulled pork. I just read their Facebook page, I don't know why they serve their pulled pork sizzling. But, I hear a lot of good things about Big daddy Jays. So, you might want to try that instead.

13. zoo101

zoo101 Well-Known Member

@Leander
    bro, im assuming you went to their QC branch? they have their vertical smoker right outside the restaurant in the parking space up front. i had a chance to peek inside when one of the staff was taking out a nice slab of meat :) but i have not tried their pulled pork, probably wont; i always get the slab of ribs, cant get wrong with that :)

@Juice
    damn, now that's a setup! hahaha. smoking 101 master. thanks for sharing, really appreciate it. the hunt is on for a vertical smoker.

14. kaotep

kaotep Active Member

@Juice ha! so you also got that vertical smoker :) nice!

15. Juice

Supporter

@zoo101
    You can try OLX which sometimes has vertical smokers. The last time I checked, someone was selling a Coolabah vertical smoker. My friend has the coolabah smoker and makes smoked bacon in large batches.

zoo101 and ronjet like this.
  16. ronjet

@Juice , very nice set of smokers sir juice! How do you clean the inside of the vertical smoker?Soap, brush and water? Big question is, is this rat proof? Hehe

17. ronjet

To those who are looking for some vertical smoker, saw this at HMR sucat last sunday, same brand coolabah as what sir juice mentioned. :) image.jpg
    But I think, the seller from olx sells this much cheaper for around 7.5k I think. Shop is located somewhere in Novaliches or Valenzuela ata.

zoo101 and Juice like this.
  18. Juice

Supporter

@ronjet

Hahaha I don't think it's rat proof. There are 3 big holes underneath to prevent the burners from being oxygen deprived and going out. But, we don't have rats and we have pest control every year. My wife is meticulous about cleanliness. She is into culinary arts and graduated in CCA katipunan(2nd batch). I do find mosquitos flying out when I open them, but that's it. Before starting a cook, I check the smoker and wipe it down with a wet towel and turn on both burners at full blast for 30 minutes before I add wood. As for cleaning, I use soap and water and gently rub it down.

Wow I didn't know HMR had those. Dami pala doon.

zoo101 and ronjet like this.
  19. kaotep

kaotep Active Member

@Juice where'd you get yours bro? i like the burners on yours as it's in a line not circular.

20. macmacoy

macmacoy Active Member

i am building a UDS......for 2 months now hahaha! i'll try to work on it next weekend.

Juice likes this.