Smart LTE Pocket WiFi

Discussion in 'Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express' started by carloople, Oct 23, 2012.

1. DarkHalf

DarkHalf Active Member

I have a freedom plan, but does it get LTE coverage too? :D I might try this if so.

2. Marianne

Marianne Member

Yes it does. We don't live in an area with LTE coverage though so it's very elusive. But when we're in a LTE area, the LTE signal appears :)

3. oaba09

oaba09 Member

On the dashboard, there's an option to disconnect...click on it then go back to the page where you can select the mode...the option to change modes should be accessible now.....after picking 4g only, click save or apply(dont remember what the button says)....restart your device and you should be good to go...

4. empty

empty Active Member

Brilliant! Thanks! :D

I actually called Smart to ask and they told me it couldn't be changed.

5. Buaga

Buaga New Member

Question regarding the Alcatel Y800. How well does it work with Smart LTE? I am curious since the technical spec in the net shows it does not support LTE bandwidth 2100 which is the one being supported by Smart As far as I know for prepaid. Any reply will be appreciated since I am really thinking of getting one. Thanks

6. Odysseus

Odysseus Active Member

Maybe it uses the 1800 MHz band which the Alcatel Y800 and SMART LTE both support. I have the Alcatel OneTouch Y800 on prepaid. I do get LTE/4G signals although I hardly surpass the 10 Mb download speed even if the device receives full bar signal. Battery doesn't last for more than 5 hours, which is probably the reason why they included a second battery in the package. But the short battery life can easily be remedied with a powerbank =)

7. Buaga

Buaga New Member

Thanks! Really got confused w Smart's reply in Twitter that for the device to work with their LTE, it should support LTE Band 1 (Alcatel's site says this mifi doesnt) yet their marketing this device as an LTE pocket wifi. Really thought at first that this only supports H+ 4G and not 4G LTE.

8. empty

empty Active Member

Yup don't worry it really does support 4G LTE, otherwise they wouldn't sell it. Unless you mean that you are buying one that is not from Smart, there may be some model differences.

From my experience the speed doesn't necessarily follow the signal strength. The area seems to matter more. Full bars in Makati and QC I typically get around 600-750kBs sustained downloads. In Laguna or Ortigas even with only one or two bars I get 1-1.3 MBps. In Davao I was able to get 2.6MBps sustained. Note that numbers are Bytes, big 'B'.

Note that the Y800 shuts off when it gets too hot, which can happen if you keep it charging while in use. I keep it with the back cover off and a fan pointed at it if I'm using it for a while.

#108 empty, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  9. Buaga

Buaga New Member

Thanks so much! Does it get too hot that often?

10. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

Maybe Smart is using a customized model of the Alcatel mobile WiFi (that they haven't published on their website yet) to work with LTE on band 1.

11. Buaga

Buaga New Member

Yeah I think so too. Thanks to all. At least now, I will buy with confidence. Just want to make informed decision.

12. riderandy

riderandy Member

If it's a customized model there must be an identifier that differentiates it from the main model Y800. Anyway, Smart has multiple LTE frequencies, maybe that Y800 can support one of them.

I'm surprised they stopped offering the Huawei e5372. In my opinion it's the best pocket wifi now. Battery lasts 6 hours. Unit is small, too.

#112 riderandy, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  13. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

The Y800 has a software/firmware update that indicates if your in 4G/LTE, H+, H. so far LTE speeds are in 5mbps-15mbps depending on the location. Battery life could be better though.

14. antski

antski Well-Known Member

Does it come with an extra battery?

15. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

Trust me, Smart's LTE is only on 2100MHz band 1. Yes they said they have it on 1800MHz band 3 and 850MHz band 5 as well, but so far, none of the two are up. (And this is why devices that lack band 1 LTE doesn't work with Smart, eg the Note 2 N7105, GS3 I9305 among others) :)

Probably to deter those who just buy the device and unlock it. But imo the best one in terms of battery life is the E5776, it has 3000/3300mAh battery (Huawei's specs on their website are not consistent) and lasts for 8-10hours on me. :D

16. Odysseus

Odysseus Active Member

Yes. It comes with an extra battery.

17. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

18. moyg

moyg Member

^noob question: will those yagi antennas be able to pick up the 2100MHz signal if they're advertised frequency range is from 2400-2500 MHz only?

19. riderandy

riderandy Member

I got the Huawei antenna from Sulit, the seller has a cellphone repair shop in Farmer's Market. Works with Smart, so I guess it's better to try it than second-guessing on the yagi.

20. juristantrum

juristantrum Active Member

my e5776 doesnt last that long. :(