Smart e-SIM coming this year

Discussion in 'Smart Communications' started by oldtimer, Jan 11, 2020.

1. neilc

neilc Well-Known Member

have you tried using the unlocked sim tray in a dual sim phone? I believe its only open to calls and text but not data. You can't use mobile data on the other sim.

It doesn't make sense that you just lock the eSim as 99% of iPhone users still use a physical sim.

2. neilc

neilc Well-Known Member

For Globe, they do. So Smart, I think is the same.

3. neilc

neilc Well-Known Member

Even Globe has a sort of thin card board type for the QR code. But at least you can store it easily, unlike a piece of paper :)

4. carlosantonio

carlosantonio Member

What I did nalang was use an app to decode the QR. Its data type is just regular text naman so you can just regenerate a QR code for it saved as PDF. Tried it earlier and it worked naman. There's also that other method the other poster suggested na to have the soft copy emailed to you. :)

rabby likes this.
  5. carlosantonio

carlosantonio Member

Whew, that was one helluva day for sure! Glad to know this is possible since I'm also keeping a legacy unlidata plan with them which is plugged into an LTE modem for use as my main internet sa condo. Mejo may peace of mind na it's technically possible if ever I do want to have it converted to eSIM, just have to put on my game face hehe.

6. gino0112

gino0112 Member

I was able to convert my Smart Postpaid SIM to eSIM earlier (Rob Manila).

Tried scanning the same QR code (activated on iPhone 12 mini) on my iPhone XS: did not activate, saying that the QR code is invalid. Also tried transferring the cellular plan as well via settings but was unable to do so ("Transfer not supported" message)

7. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

Can't you also just take a picture of the QR code and save the Pic, or email the Pic to yourself?

8. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Well-Known Member

On the day I converted my esim. i was able to transfer from my iphone to my z flip. Today, I scanned back. Says qr expired. Maybe the qr code is valid only x days or x hours. :(

carlosantonio and gino0112 like this.
  9. carlosantonio

carlosantonio Member

Wanted a clean digital copy, didn't wanna distort it hehe

10. neilc

neilc Well-Known Member

For Globe, you can use the QR code 10 times before it expires. Of course, to the same IMEI.

jayparalejas likes this.
  11. carlosantonio

carlosantonio Member

jayparalejas likes this.
  12. shale_slate

shale_slate Member

I went to Smart Store SM Marikina to convert mine to eSIM. They had me filled out a form coz they said the person in charge of eSIM is on rest day and will call me back on Monday. I don’t know but I was told it can be done over the phone.

13. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

They'll just send your qr code via email

14. prof_er

prof_er Well-Known Member

I guess physical sim slot is still locked to smart?

15. silencer07

silencer07 New Member

Tama ba ko na puro postpaid lang available ang smart/globe esim?

16. yoimrae

yoimrae New Member

Got my esim yesterday thru virtual appointment. Nagsend lang ng form at id then sinend back na ang qr code. Namaximise na din ang dual sim capability ng iPhone SE. smart esim + globe nano sim on my smart locked SE (used gpp for globe) (y)

B3331C56-75D5-4B76-A34A-3CE7E0E7C2D8.jpeg

17. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

I also have a globe sim on a dumb phone, my Smart locked device is iPhone 11 Pro Max, can you share where you got your gpp? it's a sim tool right? I'd like to try this :)

by the way, how did you setup for an appointment? did you pay for any fees?

18. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

I have a question, once your eSIM is activated or availed of, will your old physical nano SIM still work? I'm just considering my options if say, I'm out of battery or if the unit has to be serviced and I need my main line still active, I would try and use the physical SIM on a back up phone.

19. yoimrae

yoimrae New Member

Got the gpp from Shopee, 150 Pesos only. Simple setup, once na mapagana mo na ang Globe SIM mo sa Smart locked iPhone mo, you can remove the gpp and any Globe SIM will work na.

No fees. Nagpaappointment ako by scanning the QR code on store. Closed kasi yung store nung nagpunta ako so virtual appointment lang.

Your nano SIM will stop working once you have received the QR code for eSIM.

20. iAmMichael05

iAmMichael05 Active Member

Got my eSim just now and the process was a breeze. For those who are wondering if how I did it, you may see the steps below.

1. Go to this link: https://smart.com.ph/Pages/stay-smart#reopen
    2. Choose a store that offers ESIM activation. In my case, I chose Festival Supermall because that was the closest to me.
    3. Choose aftersales.
    4. Choose your preferred virtual appointment schedule. Once confirmed, they will send an email confirmation.
    5. Show-up to your confirmed virtual appointment schedule. Prepare a soft copy of your valid ID because the customer representative will ask you to email it to him/her.
    6. They will generate your ESIM QR Code and will be sent to your email once your information and identity were verified. They will also give you instructions on how to activate the ESIM. One important thing that the customer rep said to me was... "Wait for your physical sim to lose its signal first before you activate the ESIM using the provided QR code."

A few note that I got from the customer rep:
    1. ESIM is one-time use only. Once used, it's already expired. If you need to transfer your ESIM to a different phone, you have to set a virtual appointment or visit a Smart Store.
    2. The usual features like 5G, VoWIFI and VoLTE should work as expected.
    3. The moment your ESIM is activated, immediately test both incoming and outgoing call, text and data. If one or any of the three failed to work, get in touch with the customer rep who assisted you and he/she will fix the problem.

That's it! I hope this will help those who are planning to convert their physical sim to an ESIM.

Thank you!