Smart e-SIM coming this year

Discussion in 'Smart Communications' started by oldtimer, Jan 11, 2020.

1. carlosantonio

carlosantonio Member

Yes, I had mine converted. Saw this on twitter:
    F21FE327-9075-4D3F-89B0-00BD878CEEBC.jpeg

kristianne and jayparalejas like this.
  2. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Well-Known Member

Was able to process esim. Bummer they only allow one per customer. Even if you have multiple lines.

3. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

With Globe's implementation, the eSIM is linked to the device IMEI after its first activation. You can't transfer it to another device.

The latest versions of iOS 14 offers an eSIM transfer option, as outlined in this Apple Support article, but it's up to the carrier if they allow it or not. If anyone with two eSIM-capable iPhones could test for Smart, that would be nice. :)

4. jayparalejas

I visited shang branch now, and was able to get another esim for my secondary line* happy

5. jayparalejas

Can confirm it works. The qr and esim line is transferrable. Tried it from my iPhone 12 mini to Z Flip.

Attached Files:

#85 jayparalejas, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    neilrg, carlosantonio and vhyc like this.
  6. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

A few questions:

1.) Will switching to the e-SIM effectively turn your open line unit into a carrier locked one?

2.) To avail of the e-SIM, will you have to go through something like the plan retention process? (I'm still holding onto my unlit-data plan which will become null and void if I avail of a retention offer)

3.) When availed, how can the e-SIM be transferred to a newer phone unit? (like upgrading from an iPhone 6S Plus to an iPhone 12 Pro Max)

Thanks

7. jayparalejas

1.no, if you are open line it will remain as is.

2. No plan changes, just qr printout and scan.

3. 6s plus does not support esim. Esim can be transferred to any esim supported device except the apple watch of course

HardCharger likes this.
  8. neilrg

By transferrable, it's reusable? Same QR code on another device? That's good.

9. roinuj88

roinuj88 Member

Went to Smart Powerplant earlier. Still not available.

10. jayparalejas

yup
    yup same qr

11. HardCharger

HardCharger Member

Thanks for the replies.

I can now look into it.

Which model can use the e-SIM, 11 onwards?

12. jayparalejas

• An iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, or later with iOS 12.1 or later

13. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

Here inSmart Rob Manila they’re insisting that i change from my old Mensa unlidata plan to the new Signature Plan whatever before they can give me an e-Sim. Bullcrap.

14. mongkee

Had a helluva day on this one... so at Smart Rob Ermita, they told me upfront that e-SIM can only be done for Signature plans which I got upset over as seen from my first post... So headed all the way to SM Taytay as one of the Smart employees there (through a kakilala) assured me that I need not change plans. So when I got there, true enough they issued me my QR code and told me to just wait for my current physical SIM to be deactivated then that's when I activate the e-SIM... lo and behold, when I did try it did not work. It kept giving me the error "Unable to Complete Cellular Plan Change". The frontliner who assisted me in SM Taytay was very kind enough to put with my pangungulit on why it's not working etc... then an hour later she calls me up personally to say that they found the problem... I was still on the old unlidata plan and I'll need to switch to the new Signature plans for e-SIM to work. of course this was a no-brainer for me so I said I'll just go back to the physical SIM.

So still... my gripe is with Smart who i suspect is just using this as an excuse to make the oldies like me switch to the newer plans. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt this is issue technical in nature. Really.

So if anyone want's to swap iPhones, mine is an US-purchased iPhone 12 Pro Max Pacific Blue A2342... maybe someone out there wants this model and is currently using the dual-physical SIM model... let's talk hehe.

I am so not happy with Smart right now. Ang tagal ko hinintay ang e-SIM na to. Pero ngayon andito na olats parin.

Update (again, as of 6:17 PM)... just when I was about to call it a day right after I did my previous post here and a rant Tweet to SmartCares, I tried one last time to activate my QR code... lo and behold it worked. Actually I wasn't really sure if it did, the activation was just a single step then boom, done already. Cellular signal and everything. I put in a Globe SIM, confirmed that my iPhone working on dual SIM mode.

So folks, pardon for my long post by long story short... old unlidata plans will indeed work on e-SIM. Don't let them uninformed folks at some Smart stores tell you otherwise. The CSR I was chatting with (who assisted me in SM Taytay) couldn't believe it also and swore that they haven't done anything on their end... well at least none that they know of... gave her my specific iPhone model for her reference as well. she was really surprised but just as happy as I was that it got to work.

#94 mongkee, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    jayparalejas likes this.
  15. jayparalejas

Glad you got it to work eventually. Both smart stores from mega to shang. They seem to be confused as this was a new thing for them as well. At shang I was the first to get esim they told. Took 7 agent, all of them. Lol.

16. neilrg

At least now all of them will know how to go about it when more customers come asking. :ROFLMAO:

jayparalejas likes this.
  17. mongkee

And that's some little consolation when at least our community... specially early adapters like us, are able to contribute somehow.

BTW... for those requesting eSIM, wouldn't hurt to ask for a soft copy of your QR code. I asked for mine to be emailed to me and SM Taytay agent was kind enough to oblige. At least I have a copy that's not as fragile as that on just plain paper.

Now if only iOS 14.5 would arrive soon so 5G on dual sim mode can be avaliable

jayparalejas likes this.
  18. jayparalejas

If you are transferring from iphone to iphone it can be carried over through your apple id. Otherwise the qr code must be kept safe.

19. mongkee

Cool. but yep... might as well keep a hard copy just as extra backup. Cheers!

jayparalejas likes this.
  20. textguru

textguru Active Member

Agree on this with Globe. I cannot use the eSIM to other device... so option is to request for physical SIM/new eSIM if you want to transfer. I experience this on the time that my iP11 issue.

Good that Smart eSIM has a better approach.

jayparalejas likes this.