Smart e-SIM coming this year

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by oldtimer, Jan 11, 2020.

1. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

I had a meeting with Smart yesterday and was told that eSIM will finally be available - first to their Infinity postpaid subscribers, then will trickle down. I asked about offering it to corporate plans as well, was told they will explore and let me know asap.

This is good news that Smart is finally catching up. I just hope that it is easier to manage, i.e., you don't need to lock it to a particular device and be true to what eSIM is actually for - convenience of moving it from one device to another.

2. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

hopefully it becomes available soon, especially for those who need that extra sim going abroad.

3. Cruncher

Cruncher Member

That is good to hear. But I can tell you already that you would not be able to transfer it from one to another with the same QR Code. This is not designed for this and would cause a security risk.
    No carrier in the whole world is letting users activate the same QR twice. A few of them like Swisscom in Switzerland let you create and replace eSIM`s in you carrier app or within your carrier Login within minutes. Other Carriers like AT&T in the US and also Globe in PH need you to go to the store and get a physically printed QR Code.
    For me i am travellig a lot and use my Main SIM as an eSIM because it is harder to change. When I am in an other Country I can just put in the second SIM and it works.

CopyPaste92 likes this.
  4. iDarwin

iDarwin Active Member

I hope they allow an E-sim plan for Apple Watch with the same number. Willing to pay a premium for this.

WickedMac and rdy0329 like this.
  5. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

They should one up Globe by allowing simultaneous use of
    E sim and physical sim based on a latest to turn on system.

6. joethemobile01

joethemobile01 Active Member

I hope digital ang pag issue ng eSIM ng Smart (just like some other carriers), its very hassle to go to the store just to get a physical eSIM QR. What if nag reset ka during midnight, and you cannot scan eSIM twice, have to wait the following day to go to the store para kumuha ng bago which is very hassle.

7. joethemobile01

Wala po bang balita sa nationwide roll-out ng VoLTE and VoWIFI?

8. Cruncher

Cruncher Member

If you reset the existing iPhone or Apple Watch you can preserve the eSIM on the device. If you change device then you have to wait if they only hand it out in store.

CopyPaste92 and rdy0329 like this.
  9. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

You can use the same QR code on the same phone as many times as you’d like, at least that was what was explained to me.

What you can’t do is jump from phone to phone. It will not activate on the newer phone.

My current set up is Globe eSim + Smart Physical Sim.

One way to one-up globe is to provide apple watch support aside from going all digital (self-service).

10. mongkee

mongkee Well-Known Member

Finally! Hope this rolled out in time to my travel in March. I used to have a dual physical SIM iPhone but now using a JP iPhone unit which has the eSIM. I had to ditch my prepaid Globe SIM to give way to my primary Smart SIM on the physical slot. eSIM slot on my unit now is just for display and useless.

But if "coming this year", that could be as far as Q4 for all we know :ROFLMAO:

11. jcool

jcool Member

I wanted to use the esim of my iPhone XR with Airalo. I messaged Smart about it but was told that it is also "sim" locked to smart because I am still under contract.

12. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Or never. Just like their smartwatch eSim support Globe promised. *sigh*

prof_er likes this.
  13. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

I got a surprise last week seeing VoWIFI but VoLTE is not working. before I can still access the net this time wala na

14. loko__loko

loko__loko Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

15. joethemobile01

11 Pro Max po ba kayo and what plan nyo po sa Smart?

16. neilc

neilc Well-Known Member

You can use the same QR code about 10 times in one device. So your issue is non-existent bro.

17. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

To add, eSIM (at least on iPhonr) survives a software restore, even if done on iTunes.

18. JunKisaragi

JunKisaragi Member

Finally! I've been bugging them for this in Twitter.

I had no choice but to look for an eSIM in Vietnam since I still need my Smart for OTP transactions.

19. francisian

francisian Well-Known Member

Smart has already updated their website regarding this. Looks like they will also be implementing this for prepaid. Cust care as always knows nothing yet.

20. joethemobile01

any direct link RE esim?