Smart Communications General Thread

Discussion in 'Smart Communications' started by neilrg, Sep 29, 2018.

1. cwaltherp22

cwaltherp22 New Member

25 minutes po

MacJjang likes this.
  2. iAmMichael05

iAmMichael05 Active Member

Hi! Sorry but I don’t know how to answer this since I really don’t call landline numbers.

3. iAmMichael05

I didn’t know there’s lower than Plan S! How to avail this? And how much is the data allocation? Thank you!

4. cwaltherp22

cwaltherp22 New Member

Hi. 2.5 gb po pero now it is up at 5 gb. It doubled my data. I just went to smart store before lockdown.

5. iAmMichael05

The doubled data is just a promo right for the month of November? So after this month, it will revert back to 2.5gb?

6. onyx

onyx New Member

Attached Files:

7. onyx

onyx New Member

Wala sa website, hindi rin mapprocess over the phone. Kailangan pumunta sa Smart Store

For retention lang ata nila binibigay to. Sim-only plan

8. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

does smart recycle postpaid plans numbers, like 0918xxxxxxx. preferred an “old school” number just like globe (0917xxxxxxx) :)

9. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Well-Known Member

Nope.

10. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20201110-113443.png
    40D2F632-4439-4D75-9C9A-BD7BC50DE884.png
    Ang bait ata ng smart lately.

double the data when it replenished. Then another 10GB free today.

guwapito likes this.
  11. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm... ordered online through Lazada a 5G sim card (php 139.00). Received the sim card and, surprise, surprise, an LTE Advanced prepaid pocket wifi retailing for 1995.00.

Thank you smart for the early Merry Christmas! “ Thank you, thank you, ang babait ninyo!.....” :ROFLMAO:

:LOL::ROFLMAO::p

#291 raypin, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  12. Invisigoth

Invisigoth Member

Smart Enterprise's offering their unlimited data SIM-only plan again under "Smart Infinity"
    • now at 3.5k/month from 2k/month
    • unlimited text
    • unlimited calls to Smart & Sun calls
    • 180 min calls to all networks
    • no lock-in for SIM-only plans
    They also have an unlimited data/call/text SIM-only plan for 5k/month

This was done because a lot of unethical employees were subcontracting the 2k/month SIM for 2.5k/month or even 3k/month on Lazada, Olx, Caroussel and Shopee.

We're using the 2k/month unlimited SIM on our Huawei LTE wifi router in places undeserved by ISPs.

13. carlosantonio

carlosantonio Member

raypin and markandapps like this.
  14. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

That's a game changer for Smart right there. Phones with dual sim capabilities or those on a budget can benefit from this.

carlosantonio likes this.
  15. Invisigoth

Invisigoth Member

Creating more friction to make the tamad pay for more data/calls/data. The masipag will get a GOMO, DITO or MAGIC.

On Globe SuperUnli999 of 999/months gets you 24GB of data divided by 0.8GB/day for 30 days.

For me postpaids should all get network priority over all prepaids.

The subsidies are nice if you pay VAT the cashflow is good and competition forces the improving rates for SMS calls and mobile data.

16. carlosantonio

carlosantonio Member

i assume these MAGIC data offers can be stacked as well. My cousin who recently switched to gomo still hasn’t even finished up half of the initial 25GB allocation free from her sim purchase last oct. But I understand this isn’t everyone’s data consumption since she does have wifi at home. Why shouldn’t all data promos be non-expiring at this point even for postpaid?

I do get the whole network priority thing but with Vowifi and volte being enabled for prepaid subscribers as well and seeing how their 5G / 4G speeds are on par with postpaid, I dunno really what the real value is other than yun nga the phone subsidies (that eventually become a null point since prices on network-locked phones are almost the same on fb marketplace compared to getting it on a 2-yr contract). For me they should at least increase data allocation across the board on all plan tiers and make data rollover not just expire after a month but make it stackable as well.

17. Invisigoth

Invisigoth Member

Senate Bill No. 1880 or the “Roll-over Internet Act” which seeks to mandate and institutionalize roll-over data allocation. Under the bill, unused data will not expire but will instead carry over to succeeding months until the end of the year.

If at the end of the year, there are still remaining unused data allocations, the same will be converted into rebates which, in turn, may be used for future subscriptions.

http://legacy.senate.gov.ph/photo_release/2021/0127_06.asp

I agree with the 1st paragraph as it improves the standing of all subscribers but disagree with the 2nd paragraph as it is too prejudicial to the telcos who spend billions in capex. Any business should have an expectation of ROI regardless of industry.

There should be a balance.

I like the prepaid subscription model of GOMO. They offer "no expiry" for 30GB of data at higher than 14Mbps (where available) that expires in 1 year. They also offer an unlimited 5Mbps data that expires in a month. Prices are reasonable for what you are buying. They are very equitable for a year 2021 promo.

In my use case I have not used my data for the past 52 weeks. If I knew this was the case I would have opted to reduce my postpaid account's plan from 1799 to 599 to just cover iPhone amortization text/calls and 7.7% of the data I am subscribed to right now.

Total cost of ownership of the locked & unlocked iPhone are essentially the same. The difference is the impact on the subscriber's cash flow from a 1 time payment vs amortization over 24 or 30 months.

Take the 64GB iPhone SE for example. It's iPhone monthly amortization of 1,100 on Month 1 has a greater buying power than the 1,100 on Month 24 due to inflation. Amortizing that iPhone makes it cheaper to own over time.

It's like how much was 1996 unlimited 28.8Kbps (0.0288Mbps ) dial-up in 2020 money. It's about 9,500/month in today's money which gets you an unlimited 1Gbps (1,000Mbps) fiber connection

The main draw to me for an unlocked smartphone is for international travel. You can opt for a cheaper local prepaid SIM than Smart's data roaming charges. In some instances the local SIM has data prioritization over any foreign SIM.

This is the similar principle applied for Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Cloud's Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) making piracy less severe than before as licensing cost becomes less burdensome to cash flow.

#297 Invisigoth, Mar 14, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  18. carlosantonio

carlosantonio Member

I actually went and watched the live stream of the hearing of this bill and was not able to form a sound conclusion on what should happen since from the telco's side, yes they said that it is added cost on their end for maintaining no-expiry data on their database but also to the Senate's side where they mentioned that among ASEAN countries, we're currently ranked as the fourth-highest cost/MB on par with SG and TH where both country's telco infra is a lot better than what we have now. But then again, they did roll-out non-expiring data anyway which I assume is heat felt from the third telco.

I'm not saying that they should increase data allocations exponentially since I agree with the total cost of ownership part where your cell service is "almost" free. But why not price data boosters the same as their prepaid counterparts? 399 for 6GB additional data on Postpaid vs 399 for 24GB non-expiring data on Prepaid... Also SIM-only plans on Postpaid. 1.5k a month for 20GB of data. Granted it does come with unlimited calls and texts but for the majority of people using smartphones nowadays where VoIP and chat apps are the norm, it's hard to justify value from traditional calls and texts these days where I feel just offering a set amount of call and text minutes per month will suffice.

It's just that imo, we should be holding these companies to a higher standard because as we've seen from the pandemic, they're kind of becoming the backbone of society. Of all the industries affected by the pandemic, telcos are the ones least affected. I mean they were able to get big time Korean pop&drama stars and an A-list celebrity to endorse for them, right? :p

19. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Apparently Smart’s Magic Data is all magic since it has vanished from the Giga Life App. Smart’s back to offering All Data instead.

Of all the days they could take it off the app they chose it on a payday.

20. Invisigoth

Invisigoth Member

If Senate wants cheaper rates then they should copy paste SG & TH's govt red tape concerning their telcos.

One aspect that I noticed in TH's red tape is revamping it to remove their equivalence of a Congressional Franchise. All a TH telco/ISP needs to comply with are the tech specs set by TH's NTC/DICT and capital. So any Pinoy-majority owned telco/ISP with the billions of $ to spend capex on can enter the business.

Bayanihan law's provision on reducing permits required for building up fiber networks and cellular towers from dozens to less than handful help speed up deployment. National govt & LGU loves pilling these onto most businesses like telcos because they think it's a forever source of money. What they do not make a connection with is that it impacts the productivity of their constituents in the new economy. That's one factor why the Thais and Singaporeans are more economically productive.

Lowering barriers to entry will lower down cost. Think of it as a sari-sari store. Do they need congressional franchise? If they did then there would be only 2 brands of sari-sari store rather than the millions owned by mom & pop operators.

They will never do that because of lobbying money and there is no law forbidding members of congress, senate, judiciary and executive branch of govt from owning telco stocks directly or indirectly.

Telcos can offer unlimited calls/text from mobile phones for 200-400/month provided that it is linked with how many GB of data is bought with it. The iPhone created a platform to get around SMS & cellular voice minute tariffs through VoIP and messaging apps.

Ultimately the cheaper SMS & cellular voice minutes benefits keypad phone users who spend about 50 per month on their 500 phone.

Going back to no expiry of data it would be cool for it to be valid up to 365 days after being activated. I'm not down with the unused credits being converted to something else after a year. For the reasons that it's subscriber's neglect for keeping so much credits on their phone after a year.

#300 Invisigoth, Mar 15, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021