Sling TV

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by Juice, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Does anybody have this? I was planning to subscribe to the service. I just wanted to know if anybody else is using it.

2. rednaxela

rednaxela Active Member

I'm a Sling subscriber and it runs pretty well on PLDT Fibr. You need a VPN service to make it work here in Manila and Getflix gets the job done. Experience overall is ok except for the time zone difference. Lots of US commercials too so it's kinda annoying. You gotta have patience for those ads. I get to watch primetime shows during breakfast.

You can also cancel anytime and come back whenever you want. Try out the 7 day free trial. Another service for US OTA broadcast is USTVNOW. Its totally free. Check it out.

Juice likes this.
  3. pels_17

pels_17 Well-Known Member

I was a subscriber for 3 months, but I never maximized it-- we have cable, so I had to cancel our subscription. One thing I don't like about Sling is it is difficult to cancel a subscription, but that was 2 years ago, maybe they improved the way you can cancel your subscription now.

Juice likes this.
  4. wem272

wem272 Active Member

I was previously a sling sub. Decided to just mount a slingbox in the location I wanted content from.

Juice likes this.
  5. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...reviving this thread. Very late to the SlingTV party. Anyone using it now from here? What VPN are you using and getting the maximum streaming speed (over 5 mbps) on a consistent basis? Using Getflix (connected to HK server) and am getting subpar speed (as low as 0.6 mbps) resulting in spotty video quality. Using the same connection, I have no problem streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime Video at up to 4K/UHD (around 15.26 mbps).

Any advice appreciated.

6. raypin

Mm...Sling TV is offering 14 days free service. No payment details needed. Load up via your vpn (I use getflix). If you have an expired subscription, create a new account.

Create on iPhone then input credentials on your Apple TV because screen mirroring or airplay is not allowed.

manager likes this.
  7. rednaxela

rednaxela Active Member

I cant seem to cancel my Sling subscription. I always end up in a screen page that says it’s only available in the United States upon pressing the “Cancel” button. I’m on Getflix as well and already tried VPN. Need help on this or I might dial a friend in the US to cancel for me. Thanks!

8. raypin

Mm....update your ip address on the getflix app. Restart your device.

9. wem272

wem272 Active Member

Not with sling for a long time. I’ve tried directtv and a few others. my sling box is busted and wasn’t worth going that route again bec of frequent hang... I had to send someone there just to restart the box. Another reason was streaming services improved to 720 to even 1080p. I am also on a fiber connection and it just streams well.

As the ott services can get pricey, my dream is to load up a recast device in California and just get it from over the air. I’ll connect to it here in Manila. ( not sling box)

just to plug something I hope no one minds... there is this show on epix.. war of the worlds. I’m just on episode 2 but it’s so well done.. stay safe guys.

raypin likes this.
  10. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Is it just me or did the major networks (NBC, CBS, FOX) disappear? Those channels aren’t showing when I use Getflix or ExpressVPN. Can’t use their respective TV app logins as well.

11. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Can anyone please lay down the skinny on why one should pay for SlingTV compared to just getting free content from Pluto TV, Roku TV, etc.?

12. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Live sports. It's also the reason why the price have increased every year. But that doesn't mean anything today because there aren't any live sports available, that's why Sling TV has been giving away free channels.

oj88 likes this.
  13. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I canceled my SlingTV in favor of Hulu add ons. I feel that there's not enough content now that interests me. Maybe they'll up their content in the future.

14. raypin

mmm...canceled sling tv last year. Same reason. Hulu is better.