Sleep or Shutdown?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by gadgetmonger, Oct 27, 2009.

1. iJav

iJav Active Member

Sleep for my mbp but I find myself restarting once a week. For the iMac, it's on 24x7 except for weekly refresh.

2. mjjm

mjjm Member

not sure if its asked already... is it ok to put the mac to sleep and put it inside the pouch? thanks

3. abr2nd

abr2nd Member

shutdown always... don't know if its good for the system or bad...

4. memphis

memphis Well-Known Member

That's my practice for a while now.. Though I shut it down if I know I'll not be using my MBP for a long travel. But for just home to office or vice-versa, I just put it to sleep.

5. stadaenko

stadaenko Member

same here, on both shutting down always and in being in the dark as to whether this is good or not.

is there a recommended 'rest' for the mbp? or are both sleeping and shutting down ok and it is all a matter of user preference?

6. jacekwaps

jacekwaps Member

i always put my mac on shutdown mostly on travel because i need every battery percentage on it.

7. jimboyc

jimboyc Member

since i got the mbp last 2009, it was always on sleep unless i won't be using it for more than 3 days which rarely happened. so far i have not had any problems with it.

8. bmsantillan

bmsantillan Active Member

Same here! :)

9. panis

panis Well-Known Member

For a macbook or MBP? Yup it's ok to do that. Just make sure that the white light that indicates that the unit is on sleep mode is already blinking – indicating that the HD has been properly parked – before moving your mac.

It is a matter of user preference. Some just do not want to wait for their mac to boot up so they just put it on sleep mode always. But as i mentioned earlier I experienced some instability in my operating system when I don't shut it down for weeks. Others don't.

10. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

It is no secret that an electronic device that is turned on, sleep or otherwise, may sustain electrical damage from severe impacts or liquid exposure. I turn off my Mac during transport. A few seconds isn't to much to ask.

11. goateneo

goateneo Member

^agree on this one!

12. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

I put my MacBook Pro on Hibernate mode so that I'll get the best of both Sleep and Shutdown mode. :)

I just ran the terminal command - sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 25

When I close the lid, it will go to hibernate mode faster than the normal sleep mode. When resuming from hiberante, it takes less than 10 secs.

13. panis

panis Well-Known Member

14. goateneo

goateneo Member

So, vs. Sleep, it is faster to hibernate but it's a lot slower when waking it up? Kasi, with Sleep mode, when you open the lid, it wakes up instantly

15. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

Yes you are correct. :)

16. goateneo

goateneo Member

^okay, thanks for the clarification!

17. jerminix

jerminix New Member

I rather put my Mac to sleep, or you can adjust the "Power Save" option in the settings for you preference

18. bea_bat

bea_bat Member

I think my mba consumes battery power when on sleep. So when my laptop is left idle for around 6 or more hours, i shut it down. It doesn't make such a difference in time when you sleep.

19. iJav

iJav Active Member

@natsgo, I tried this but for some reason, it does not work consistently. One time, my mbp did not wake up at all and just kept on beeping. Another time, it stayed black with only the arrow showing. I have set the hibernate mode back to 3 for now.

Anything I might have missed in settings?

20. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

sleep, but when you transport your macbook, shut it down.