Sites offering "legit" downloads at thousands of dollars off?

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by gdgomez, Sep 24, 2009.

1. gdgomez

gdgomez Member

Hey muggers,

Just wanted your thoughts.

I recently chanced upon a site while googling for original XP / Vista OS buying locations.

I got to some yahoo! answers forums giving links to this site:
    http://www.thesoftonline.com/

They claim the reason for the cheap prices is <s>because their OEM</s> because they buy from autions, overstocks, and companies running out of business which admittedly I don't know much about. They have even mac software and Mac OSX 10.5.4.

Their system of payment/acquisition is through CC online and download-only, no cd shipping.

My question is, is any of this legal? Because if it is, I'm gonna get my software from them. legit and cheap. But then of course there's that feeling its a scam.

Thanks.

#1 gdgomez, Sep 24, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  2. mystavros

mystavros Member

I just read the FAQ and they didn't said that the reason why they are selling it dirt cheap is because its OEM.

3. gdgomez

gdgomez Member

Whoops, sorry, my mistake. It was loosely based on the fact that their header says "OEM soft store."

My apologies.

Still, your thoughts? anyone bought from them by any chance? Of course I'm not an expert at how low prices can get with buying from "auctions, overstocks," etc. (which is why i'm asking) But 2000 dollars off CS4 master collection? Whoa.

4. chu

chu Active Member

If they can't give you an official authentic license then it's not legal for you to install and use it. I would say the deal is too good to be true.

5. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

ahh....the reason why they are called OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) is because they can only be used when bundled with that manufacturer's hardware. It is not supposed to be retailed by anyone. The Vista disks may be genuine (meaning you can activate it through Microsoft's website) but retailing it definitely violates the EULA for the disks. Make your choice.

6. peter_ob

peter_ob Active Member

Bought adobe photoshop 7 cheap online, not from them but from a similar site a few years back. When I tried registering the software with adobe I could not. So it was goodbye $ for me.