Siri Rising: The Inside Story of Siri's Origins

Discussion in 'General iOS' started by courtside3, Jan 25, 2013.

1. courtside3

courtside3 PhilMUG Addict Member

2. fteoOpty64

fteoOpty64 Member

Thanks, good article. It is strange that Google did not pursue voice-assistant type services as they have a lot of the research data and resources to do something great. Only recently was Google Now being released and it was really good considering it was a rush patchy job just to address Siri's advantage as a service that Android lacks.

One thing I would like to see is the service showing users how to perform functions on the phone and doing this performing in realtime for the user. Allow for Stop, Step, Backwards, retry, undo commands as it steps thru the process. This will enable users to quickly learn about the menu system of a new phone. Also in education purposes to focus on particular subjects and answering questions on the subject matter. Makes it a great teaching assistant. Yeah. lots of applications other than booking tickets or tables .....

3. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member

Thread re-homed to a more-appropriate board.

4. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Resurrecting an old thread!

If Siri was your Mom... featuring the real Siri!!!

[video=youtube;xfk4iX-epQA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfk4iX-epQA[/video]

Leo

5. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

Unsure if I'm on the wrong thread but anyways, here's what might be a bit of wakeup call for some people who have lax security on their iPhones.

This you might not know but Siri knows

I personally tried it since I knowingly left "Siri > Access when locked" turned ON and it's interesting what can she tell anyone who asks the right questions.
    • Siri showed full detail of My Card in Contacts - including Notes!
    • Siri again showed the last 20 calls I made
    • Siri knows where I parked my car
    So now, I'm a bit on the fence of turning this back on, even though there's going to be less than 1% chance that I'd leave my iPhone lying anywhere and for somebody to ask Siri for these type of questions. But you'll never know right?

Down side would be I can't ask Siri anymore to "FaceTime Wife" when I already placed my phone into the car cradle as I shift and starting to drive.

Or I'm shouting across the room "Hey Siri, what's the windchill today?" when I'm putting socks to my son and would like to know how cold it is outside.

What's your take on this?:cautious:

6. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 Well-Known Member

I think you already answered the risk-reward value of turning it on. You have 1% risk of leaving your iPhone and you reap the rewards of using Siri.

Besides when you realized you lost your iPhone you can do remote wipe when you don't want anyone who get hold of it to extract data from it.

7. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

8. Sir iAco

Sir iAco Well-Known Member

Why is Siri struggling? Report cites infighting and lack of vision

fastcompany.com

leninmac likes this.
  9. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

10. ice

I know... I read the article because the "headline" was so interesting... then after reading, I found it strange that the headline changed.

suavecito likes this.
  11. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Interesting article. The key to AI is to continuously feed the software more information for it to learn, hence the term Machine Learning. IBM Watson, SAP's Leonardo, Salesforce's Einstein, Amazon's Alexa, or Google's DeepMind. All these companies/ AI platforms are into Machine Learning because Apple started the trend. It seems strange that Apple which made IPA popular is lagging behind the competition. Heck even Bixby's more intuitive than Siri.

12. ice

13. ice