Singapore Travel Tips

Discussion in 'Travel' started by thekemosabe, Jan 1, 2010.

1. imart

imart Well-Known Member

wishing the best of luck in advance when aiming for the launch date purchase especially walking in. The queue might even start the day/s before and requires careful planning. Most of the people on the line would be foreigners and with a new design coming hopefully next year, the queue could be worse especially when we have truckloads of hangry phone owners already fed up with their outdated bricks, wanting to possess that new thing that no longer looks like an iPhone X. I'm not even referring to the Apple Store where I've seen an unbelievable crowd during the phone release day but also in authorized retailers and telco shops islandwide.

not so sure about the store pick up method if it still in place but if you wouldn't mind foregoing the tax refund for tourists, and die-die own the phone during launch day, then stay glued on your laptop and purchase fast, really fast, once the phone sale floodgates are opened.

Don Pao likes this.
  2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...try nyo mag queue sa Apple, Jewel Changi....far enough from the city to discourage people from camping out. Eh medyo malayo. :p

10 am opening. So, be at T1 really early and camp out. Then run like the wind as soon as Jewel opens. :D

If you are arriving on launch day to purchase the new iPhone....take the earliest flight to Changi then leave your luggage at left luggage......15 sgd for large luggage....then get your iPhone goodness....then lunch sa Shake Shack...all done and travel to the city. No wasted time.

#1562 raypin, Sep 12, 2019 at 7:31 PM
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 7:40 PM
    Sunil_K likes this.
  3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^I actually did that when I got the then iPhone 7 Plus in Changi. Left MNL 430am. Arrived Singapore 3-1/2 hours later. Waited for 8am opening of shops. Then went to Jewel. No lines, no problem or so I thought. Found out there was a queue the night before and the line started at 301, which was me. I waited on the yellow lane that said 300-400 for two hours while those ahead of me arrived to get their iPhones. When my turn came, all that was left were silver gray models with 64gb storage. I think about 50 others left the line when they heard that. Me, I took my iPhone, left Changi, went to my hotel, slept until nighttime. Only then did I open the box and saw my iPhone.

Sunil_K and raypin like this.
  4. imart

imart Well-Known Member

I troop to changi airport / jewel like almost every week and I am always reminded about the many people coming from nearby Tampines, Simei, Pasir Ris, Bedok, Punggol, east coast, the whole of Singapore actually plus touristsssss. With its high accessibility especially thru public transport, the only thing that discourages people going there is the crowd itself quite honestly. it's like avoiding orchard road / lucky plaza on a sunday. With so many foreigners flying in just to purchase the brick on the launch day, and travel only for the sole purpose of this purchase without sightseeing and things like that, they wouldn't even bother leaving the airport compound anymore and aim for the apple orchard store instead.

Sunil_K, hitme64 and raypin like this.
  5. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

do you still need to camp? If I remember correctly, you can pre-order from Apple or your local telco and you also get your device on the launch date...

It's an iPhone... they're not selling Yeezys or that S$54 Huawei :)

Sunil_K and hitme64 like this.
  6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....for walk-ins, from customers on a very short visit??..... oh absolutely. Camp out to maximize chances of scoring the new iPhone. Kalaban mo mga traders from Pinas and other countries. Plus the local walk-ins.

Sa HK naman, kalaban mo mga touts eager to snap up the initial batch to sell across the border. It is a race for them.

I ll wait for AJT. Want the dual nano sim model for China market.

7. hitme64

Those that lineup and buy their iPhones in bulk from the HK Apple Store are likely to hawk them outside among those waiting for their turn to buy. Mga negosyante talaga, konti lang taas ng presyo nila, di ka na kelangan magtagal sa linya. :LOL:

raypin likes this.
  8. imart

imart Well-Known Member

What I have observed during previous launch days here:
    1. Apple Store walk-in customers > take the standard long (kiasu) queue. Be ready with this unpredictably crazy weather. Super hot these days + some haze. Then sudden drench. Then back to super hot again. Perhaps, the store @ jewel offers some weather protection vs Orchard.
    2. Apple Store pick up / online shop > fastest fingers @ online store to snatch the choice phone specs and availability + delivery / pick up time
    3. Telco customers - almost same as #1 (if offered) & #2
    4. Authorized retailers > almost same as #1. Some shout of pre-orders but haven't tried this before.

Now, what happens to the new phone?
    1. personal use. congrats. yung ipon naging iPhone. yung utang naging iPhone. yung iPhone naging utang.
    2. phones without telco subscription > sold to a local mobile shop buyer (low margin)
    3. phones acquired thru telco subscription with high cash outlay > sold to a local mobile shop buyer (low margin)
    4. phones acquired thru telco subscription with low or zero cash outlay > sold to local mobile shop buyer (higher margin). many of those living here who could still bear with their current handphones would consider a subscription recontract to avail the new phone benefits.
    5. resell to other individuals or online selling platform (carousell) for some profit
    6. resell to tourists who flew in just to buy a maleta full of new iPhones
    7. bring home to Vietnam, Myanmar, China, Indonesia, Philippines for reselling to the barangay secretary

Should never be ashamed about being kiasu. At least you have the latest phone mah :D

#1568 imart, Sep 13, 2019 at 12:46 PM
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 1:04 PM
    rbenzon, hitme64 and raypin like this.
  9. hitme64

I had this experience while exiting Changi back to MNL where Customs guy asks me if I had brought with me any electronic device bought in Singapore. Of course I showed him the iPhone 7 Plus. He asked for verification like receipt for the purchase. I asked why, and he says if I had brought more than three, it will be taxable. I asked him what basis are the charges for tax on iPhones for but he remained mum. Then he asks my wife who also had an BNIB iPhone and ask for receipts for it. Then my son who unfortunately didn’t buy an iPhone, but a pair of Marshall headphones. Didn’t ask for any receipt for that. He waved us through after.

Then I realized why some resellers in Manila are selling brand new iPhones OOTB.

raypin likes this.
  10. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Haha, nice take!

Before FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out), there was kiasu!

Beyond queues, there are other manifestations of kiasuness, such as chope, the term for a small plastic bag of tissues placed on an empty food court table to signify "reserved" while the chopepe (my word hehe) looks for food!

Running quickly to stand in a parking lot to reserve it for your driver/BF/husband? Kiasu!

So clearly, there's kiasuness amongst Pinoys too—and then some! Like, you know, those idiots who insist on blocking an intersection, just so no one beats them to it! :mad:

While kiasu competitiveness can be partly credited for Singapore's emergence from being an inconsequential blip on the radar, it is possible to rise to greatness without kiasu—such as the case of Japan, for instance, where the prevalent spirit is wa (和), meaning harmony and preservation thereof. That's why there are no rude or loud train passengers, even in crowded trains; because harmony with others lords over individual freedoms.

I am probably guilty too of kiasu during my younger years. But I have never ever queued up for FOMO—not for a sale, nor a product release. YOLO, so why waste it on a FOMO queue? :) I think I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so... :)

imart, raypin and Sunil_K like this.
  11. hitme64

I have nothing but heaps of praise for Singaporeans; in fact a good friend with the police has been a constant mail pal for years, even before Messenger, MySpace and SMS. So we keep in touch still thru email.

But some of his countrymen are just rude, and arrogant and self-entitled in their perception that they’re the fair haired people of Southeast Asia. I say this as one who experienced the temerity of a Singaporean airport official to berate and verbally abuse Pinoy tourists waiting in line for boarding the plane bound for Manila. He even had this discussion with an old fogey who wanted his wheelchair-bound wife to go ahead but strangely weren’t allowed because First Class/Business Class were boarding. A SAL rep however told them to go ahead, only for the official to berate her too.

When I passed by him along my queue, I gave him my piece of mind, calling him a piece of shit. He answered back Thank you, apparently thinking my Tagalog greeting was a good one. My companions had a good laugh, but heck, I understand Singaporean OCD and discipline but not on the level of thinking you are better than anyone else this side of the globe. Besides we all take the same shit at the crapper everyday, you and I may have different colors or smell but hey, it’s still the same crap.

12. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Hahaha, lodi! And you didn't even pull rank! :D

But yeah, the greatest challenge of the successful is grace. Heck, I struggle with it, and I'm not even successful! Haha.

When it comes to grace, it's hard to beat the Japanese. Although I also like Buddhist (Thai, Cambodia, Myanmar, etc.) and Hindu (Bali, SunilK hehe) hospitality.

Kudos on giving them a dose of their own medicine, @hitme64 ! :D