Shipping from US to Manila

Discussion in 'General OT' started by theadvocate_ivan, Jan 28, 2014.

1. theadvocate_ivan

I know Philmug has an existing partnership with JAC and I have been using JAC for the longest time. But Iwould like to keep options open. Has anyone tried using LBC? Any other couriers you have tried?

Appreciate all the comments. Thanks!

2. Jim E.

Jim E. Member

3. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

I've started using LBC a year ago. Cheaper, delivers to your doorstep, but no merchant-to-courrier option like JAC and MSB. You'll have to ask a friend or relative to bring it to LBC.

LBC doesn't charge by volumetric weight. At least not yet.

My AJ12 Taxi, in a 6x9x14 which weighed 4.8 lbs, cost $25, and was delivered to my house in 8/9 days. And because LBC allows up to 6lbs for the $25 box, my uncle was able to fit in a couple treats for us.

My 7.0 Free, in the same sized box, weighed 2.2 lbs, cost me 2,141, and in a bizzare roller coaster ride, took 21 days to reach Megamall.

No bias here, just plain truth.

4. ishg

ishg I'm female!
    Staff Member

I used to be an avid JAC customer but have switched to My Shopping Box early last year.

My reasons for the switch:
    - delivers to your doorstep
    - has a tracking system
    - can send multiple shipments at once (consolidated in a way, but still charged per package. They'll just arrive in one shipment.)
    - can pay via credit card (JAC now offers this too.)
    - all-inclusive price (rates are clear, no additional VAT or handling fees)
    - option for sea freight (great for when your package is unexpectedly shipped in an oversized box)

JAC advantages over MSB:
    - shorter shipping time (ave. 7 days vs. 10-12 days)
    - no subscription fee (MSB charges $25/yr.)

5. xtine

xtine Active Member

I've been a happy MSB customer for the last couple of months too.

If you have a BDO card, you get a year's membership free.

6. rowinms

rowinms Member

Question:

Have you guys tried sending electronics e.g phones or computers from other countries to PH?

If yes, how did you deal with taxes?

7. xtine

xtine Active Member

The only electronic items I've sent so far through MSB are a Garmin GPS watch and an LG bluetooth headset. I was charged $8.49/lb for the Garmin (3 lbs though, so $25.47 in all) and $5.99/lb (x 2 lbs) for the bluetooth headset. No other charges. I'm not sure if this would still be the same case for phones and computers though.

8. ishg

ishg I'm female!
    Staff Member

I've shipped electronics (Nexus S and 4, iPhone 5, iPad mini, HTC One) via JAC and recently, MSB. No taxes aside from what the couriers charge you.

9. rowinms

rowinms Member

thanks, so the recipient (in PH) didn't worry about the goods tax? and by mean "worry" is pay tax?

#9 rowinms, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  10. xtine

xtine Active Member

Ordered a Soundlink Mini from Amazon, shipped via MSB. I was charged $24.74 (net of BDO's 3% discount) for shipping. I made sure to order from a different seller though (not Amazon) in hopes that they would listen to my request and pack the speaker in the most compact box possible. They did listen to my request -- the package's volume weight was just equivalent to 1.5 lbs but the speaker itself must have been heavy so they went with the actual weight of 3 lbs. Package just left the US yesterday, hopefully it gets here by end of the week :)

11. benzng

benzng Well-Known Member

12. Jim E.

Jim E. Member

It would likely be here the 1st week of March, since their delivery time is 10-12 days, excluding weekends. But that would be like no time. :)

13. MFD888

MFD888 Member

Yes most likely that. I have a package that departed Feb.13, until now I have not received it. I have another one departed US Feb.18, my ETA is also like yours. I actually find MSB a bit slow because they exclude weekends pa. Isn't airfreight suppose to be just a 14 hour flight to the PH?. I hope they give a little premium for people who actually subscribed to them for one year (25USD) than GCash clients who are either subscribed for free or for several months only, and not only that, they get a discount!

14. glennba27

glennba27 Active Member

I have packages that arrived MSB - California on Feb. 7, 12 and 15. I received all of them earlier. Check the shipping status if it was already dispatched from the MSB office in Manila, it should be delivered to you in 1 to 2 days. :)

15. xtine

xtine Active Member

Same here, my package arrived at their warehouse Feb 14, departed US Feb 17, and is still marked as such. I guess I was a little optimistic in my initial ETA.

16. Jim E.

Jim E. Member

As a GCASH AMEX user/subscriber, apologies for making you feel that way about us. Anyway, we get a measly 3% discount, more or less P8.00 on a $5.99/lb shipping rate.

17. poison_ivy

poison_ivy Member

I'm an MSB convert myself for your reasons stated. I only use JAC if I'm buying something that's tax free in NJ and the savings outweigh the cheaper shipping charges.

I've also used pobox if i want to consolidate multiple small items the downside is communication is slow but they ship faster using ocean cargo compared to MSB.

I also tried manilaforwarders for one time bulky/odd shape item (my daughter's crib) and so far they're okay too.

18. Emotiva

Emotiva Member

Can anyone pls suggest me how I can order something from the states and have it shipped here in the Phil. I want to buy a couple of Lunargrand from amazon and what courier can you suggest? I plan to buy 2-3 pairs of LGs. Thanks

19. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

Do you have relatives or friends in the US? I think LBC will be best for shoes. Volume weight will be a nightmare if they get shipped in one shipment if you use a forwarding service like My Shopping Box or Johnny Air Cargo.

Check the Johnny Air Cargo thread too for members' experiences... Especially @jaijin's

20. Emotiva

Emotiva Member

thanks for the info sir