Shifting to a Macbook Air (Haswell 2013 Edition)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by josefarrugia, Jun 15, 2013.

1. josefarrugia

josefarrugia Member

Hi There! :) Nice to see a fellow Cebuano here. I have done my research and I found out that if you receive a damaged or dead on arrival (DOA) unit from the Apple Online Store PH, you'll be immediately sent a brand new unit within 24 hours after reporting the DOA unit.

And I have communicated with Beyond the Box via email and they offered a tempting cash price. A massive discount compared to the selling price found on the Apple Online Store PH. The only issue is that it will take much longer compared to getting it from the online store.

2. 11Finger

11Finger Member

hi guys, I've been using a MBA 11" for about a year now and have just recently ordered a BTO MBA (i7, 8GB, 512GB Flash) and more importantly will be going full blown OS X just like the OP. Anyway while waiting for my MBA I'm trying to plan for my eventual move to OS X.

There are a couple of Windows Apps which I will be retaining but I'm looking at purchasing Parallels for that (I was going to get VMWare Fusion since it's cheaper and multi license but I read that it doesn't do as well for games). Anybody else got to try both solutions ? Aside from games support what does Parallels have over VMWare ?

I'll be moving my iTunes library from Windows to OS X, is there a migration assistant for this ? Or do I have to do it manually ?

One annoying thing I found with OS X is that when you copy/move a file it creates another "control"(?) file with same filename except for a "." before the name. I found this annoying as it messes up my NAS fie structure where I stream my movies. If I use a explorer on a Windows VM to organize my files will it still make the same "control" file ?

3. piedad

piedad Well-Known Member

Not too happy with the wireless performance. The wifi-AC (vs. Wifi-N and BG) adapter is future ready, but for older Wifi routers, it does not work consistently. I have a Linksys WRT54G on DDWRT and I cannot get a stable connection. Now I have to tether to my iPhone to get to an internet connection. Good thing the office has a newer wifi router - no issues.
    Apple should fix this soon... lots of people not happy.

4. technowar

technowar New Member

Just a quick follow up question though, where will you send your DOA unit? Are you responsible for its shipping fees?

What apps do you intend to run on your VM? Maybe, just maybe, they have OS X counterparts.

I have used both Parallels and VMware, and both are great apps. Though I ended up using VMware. Just pick one and they'll do the job, there's no need to confuse yourself.

Give this a try, Move Your iTunes Library to Another Hard Drive in Three Simple Steps

Which file are you talking about?

This always happens whenever Apple releases new notebooks. The only thing you could do is wait until they gave out patches. By the way, do you happen to encounter the Haswell's USB3.0 bug?

#44 technowar, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  5. piedad

piedad Well-Known Member

Hmmm... I was using a CDR-King usb external drive case and it would shut down after a long while. I thought it was due to poor quality of the external drive electronics.... maybe this is related?

6. technowar

technowar New Member

It only happens when your machine goes to sleep while the USB external drive/flash drive is still connected. When you wake your computer, the drive will not be recognized hence you need to reconnect it.

7. josefarrugia

josefarrugia Member

The Apple Online Store will probably inform you to drop the DOA unit at a local authorized reseller. They take care of all the shipping fees. Check out the Sales Policy here - Sales Policies - Apple Store (Philippines)

8. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

Apple allegedly looking into MacBook Air WiFi issue, replacing machines

9. technowar

technowar New Member

Ahh thanks for the link.

10. gdelacerna

gdelacerna Active Member

I'm thinking of upgrading my mac to the 2013 MBA, I'm originally coming from the 2011 MBP... What MBA model should I get?

I'm basically using it for surfing the net, watching videos, mails and work and a couple of photo and video editing using Adobe and iMovie.

The price of the 13" MBA is very attractive but I'm worried about the specs of it, it seems so limited.

How about the 256GB SSD? Is it any good? Is the 4GB ram any good?

Any 2013 MBA users here? And how's the overall performance?

All your inputs will be appreciated.

Thanks!

:)

11. rowinms

rowinms Member

Im using a 13" macbook air core i7 late 2013 edition. 256GB HDD and 8GB ram. This is a fast processing machine. I think for your usage, this is more than enough.

12. J316

J316 Member

Can a memory of MBA be upgraded?

13. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

Technically, it can be upgraded yeah...

But MBA's mems are NOT "user-upgradeable" - they're soldered into the logicboard.