Shifting to a Macbook Air (Haswell 2013 Edition)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by josefarrugia, Jun 15, 2013.

1. topaz

topaz Active Member

2. josefarrugia

josefarrugia Member

Looks like a lot of you guys have recommended Beyond the Box. I'll send him an email. :)

3. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

Delivery of BTO units are no different from ones delivered to stores. They are handled by the same people, the same courrier, and arrive in the exact same condition.

It may take at least two weeks if you order online, and even longer if you do it thru Beyond the Box (honestly, they give you an estimate of 4-6 weeks, but it doesn't really take more than a month, they're just being safe), BUT, the price difference from Charlie's "friendly pricing" is worth the extra few days. I recommend getting from BTB over the Apple Online store.

But if you want a BTO unit and can't wait, get in touch with loko_loko. Can't talk pricing here, but he got me my BTO MBA in 11 days.

4. josefarrugia

josefarrugia Member

Thank you for the reply jaijin. You certainly have a point in regards to the courier. Nevertheless, let's say something goes wrong with my MBA and I am based in another country like in the US or in Europe, would they honor my MBA if it's still in the warranty period?

5. suchtambay

suchtambay Member

^Yes. Just bring it to an apple store to get it fixed.

6. josefarrugia

josefarrugia Member

Great! That includes labor and parts, right?

7. ishg

ishg I'm female!
    Staff Member

If the Mac is still under warranty and the problem is a hardware defect not attributable to user mishandling or error, you won't have to shell out a single peso.

8. josefarrugia

josefarrugia Member

Awesome. Thank you for your input too. Can't wait to get myself a MBA 2013. It's powerful enough to edit 1080P 60fps videos, right?

9. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

1) per Charlie (of Beyond the Box / Digital Walker / Digital Hub) - they will have it tomorrow (Monday) - yeah that quick :)
    2) assuming you'll be learning alone, I would say in 1 week - you'll get used to it as if you've been using it for years. - However, there would be some challenges you might encounter (in 3rd party apps, tweaking, trouble shooting) - you got PhilMUG for this.

Switching from Windoze to Mac is one of the best decisions you can ever make in this lifetime.

10. josefarrugia

josefarrugia Member

I definitely have made the right decision to get a MBA. Thank you for all your support guys :)

11. cybersniper

since you said you're getting the 8GB RAM variant, HELL YEAH IT IS!

12. josefarrugia

josefarrugia Member

MBA: 1080P 60fps Playback and Video Editing

Hey Guys,

Will the new MacBook Air 2013 (Haswell) with an i7 Prcessor and 8GB of RAM be enough to edit 1080P videos at 60fps?

Awaiting for your replies,
    Jose

13. cybersniper

btw, the only "challenge" I can see here is the screen real estate. For editing, be it photo or video, - more screen real estate is always better.

But I'm positive you have external monitors lying around :)

and one more thing, welcome to PhilMUG!

14. cybersniper

Re: MBA: 1080P 60fps Playback and Video Editing

this question was already answered in the other thread you started. :)

be warned - mods here keep an eye for "post padding" :)

15. josefarrugia

josefarrugia Member

Re: MBA: 1080P 60fps Playback and Video Editing

I thought it would be more appropriate to create a new thread rather than including it in a thread where the topic was slightly different ;)

16. josefarrugia

josefarrugia Member

I am actually coming from an Acer Timeline M5 Ultrabook with a GT 640M 1GB VRAM and it's a step lower on the MBA 2013 variant with the Intel HD 5000 ;)

17. josefarrugia

josefarrugia Member

I am not a professional video editor, however, I have survived on a 1366x768 resolution for the past three years. I think 1440x900 is a great improvement ;)

18. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

The MBA will come in a shipping box with the actual MBA white box isolated on four corners inside. I have confidence that DHL and FedEX know how to treat their shipments right. For BTO, best to get it from the .ph Apple Store.

19. josefarrugia

josefarrugia Member

Looks like I might be taking that route. My mouth is watering right now for the MBA :D

20. technowar

technowar New Member

I'm on the same boat as you right now. I am looking to upgrade my Mac mini Server Mid 2010 to a 2013 Macbook Air BTO.

I am stopping myself from buying one via Apple Online Store because I've read dreaded screen reviews over the internet. If and only if I buy from Apple Online Store, there's no way I could send it back for replacement.

Similar to the OP, I am also based in Cebu. The only option I have is from iCampus. They also have students discount which is pretty awesome. Though I am not a student anymore, but I still have my school ID. Don't blame me for trying to get that discount. :p

As I was scanning this thread, might as well try Digital Walker at SM Cebu. I'm hoping to get a 'special pricing' from Charlie for being a PhilMUG user. :p

To the OP, hoping you'll share which route you took. Also, do not be wary. OS X is not difficult to use, except for those keyboard shortcuts. Good luck!