Shifting to a Macbook Air (Haswell 2013 Edition)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by josefarrugia, Jun 15, 2013.

1. josefarrugia

josefarrugia Member

Greetings All,

I have been seriously considering in using a Macbook for the past month already. I have always been a Windows user since Windows 3.1 up until Windows 7. I have lost trust in Microsoft especially with their latest "innovation", Windows 8. It's time for me to shift despite the fact that I wasn't a Mac fan months ago :rolleyes: Nonetheless, I have fallen in love with Mac OSX and iOS.

I am planning to get the latest MacBook Air 13 inch with the i7 Processor and 8GB of RAM as I mostly do video editing for my blog and YouTube channel.

I have got two questions:

1. When and where can I get the latest Macbook Air 13 inch Haswell edition? I am currently based in Cebu.
    2. How do I get started in using a Mac? I am a total newbie in this world.

Awaiting for all your replies and tips.

Thank you in advance,
    Jose

2. doughn

doughn Active Member

PM Charlie ... tell him u like to buy and to be sent in Digital walker Cebu (SM Cebu). HTH

3. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

4. josefarrugia

josefarrugia Member

Pardon my ignorance but who is Charlie? I am new here ;)

On another note, what about the iStore in SM Cebu and Ayala Cebu? How are they?

5. josefarrugia

josefarrugia Member

Thank you. I have already visited the website, however, it requires Quicktime. Is there anyway to view it on Android or a Windows Phone device? ;)

6. k_e_i_k_u_n_1_7

k_e_i_k_u_n_1_7 New Member

email this person sales@beyondthebox.ph

That's the email add that Charlie posted over the other thread, i got a response immediately but it turns out that the macbook air i wanted is BTO

7. josefarrugia

josefarrugia Member

8. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

The online store is a trusted source, you'll get your delivery on time and with no hassles. Online is a better route for BTO option while it'll be cheaper to get from Charlie of Beyond The Box. If money is no object, go online for BTO option.

9. arvindelacruz

arvindelacruz Member

You can buy a Mac and still use Windows via boot camp or better yet as a virtual machine. I recommend Parallels Desktop.
    That way you can continue using your favorite apps while transitioning (replacing Windows apps with Mac versions) to the Mac.

The cheapest way to get a Mac is through Charlie.
    Just go to and Beyond the Box BTB or Digital Hub outlet and ask for a PhilMUG discount.
    I got my rMBP at BTB Rockwell.

For video editing you can already use iMovie which is bundled for free with the Mac OS, also free.
    For advanced editing you can also buy Final Cut Pro, also exclusive to the Mac.

Having experienced both the MacBook Air 13" and the 15" MacBook Pro with Retina display I would recommend:
    - getting the 13" Air if you frequently travel
    - getting the 15" rMBP if you frequently edit videos or do heavy computing
    - getting the 13" rMBP if you heavily edit videos and travel a lot (other users please validate)

Enjoy and welcome to PhilMUG.

10. josefarrugia

josefarrugia Member

Thank you all for your replies! I really appreciate it. I have installed Quicktime and have began watching the Mac Basics on Apple's website too.

Nonetheless, will there be any issues in regards to ordering the Macbook Air (Haswell) from Apple's online store? I am actually hesitant to get it from there due to the mishandling in the logistics. What are your thoughts and experiences?

11. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

i ordered my BTO Mid-2011 MBA from the Apple Online Store. No problems here. Like stated in the previous posts, if you're going to the BTO route, get it online.

12. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

Were you able to install Quicktime on an Android or a Windows phone? I am still trying to figure out how to enable palyback of embedded Quicktime videos on my Android

13. k_e_i_k_u_n_1_7

k_e_i_k_u_n_1_7 New Member

heya coquiero! how long did it take to reach your doorstep?

14. josefarrugia

josefarrugia Member

I installed it on my Window 7 computer. I am still trying to figure out how to do that too. :/

15. josefarrugia

josefarrugia Member

Who would be the courier delivering it? I am afraid that during transportation they won't be taking good care of the MacBook. You know how cargo is treated sometimes ;)

16. ishg

ishg I'm female!
    Staff Member

Apple uses DHL, sometimes FedEx.

17. josefarrugia

josefarrugia Member

Thank you. I am just hesitant to go forward with an online purchase because of how the product might be treated prior to arriving to my doorstep.

18. ishg

ishg I'm female!
    Staff Member

I understand your concerns. I have yet to hear any horror stories about Macs ordered from the online store, though. That said, you might be better off purchasing one from a brick and mortar store for your piece of mind.

19. josefarrugia

josefarrugia Member

I think I'll give it a shot. ;) Any ideas when the new MacBook Air (Haswell) Laptops will be available? According to the availability on the online store it says around 7-10 days.

20. ishg

ishg I'm female!
    Staff Member

Check the Beyond the Box forum here on PhilMUG. According to them, the stocks will be in stores by Monday. If you're getting a BTO unit, you're looking at a two week wait, at the very least.

Charlie, who owns the Beyond the Box, Digital Hub, and Digital Walker chains, is very accommodating. Perhaps you can request to pick up a unit somewhere near you.