Share your travel hacks

Discussion in 'Travel' started by eag, Feb 11, 2019.

1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...just to add: we all bring multiple digital devices, some on USB, others like laptops, cameras or drones require a separate DC power supply. Two, many hotel rooms only have one available AC outlet(110 or 220 and with different plugs). Three, available AC outlet is inconveniently located and requires an extension cord. Four, multiply those devices with the number of people in your party. Big problem.

My solution that satisfactorily solves all 4 problems is this all-in-one:

https://www.amazon.com/PRITEK-Portable-Protector-International-Extension/dp/B075164753/ref=sr_1_3?crid=PXZWJLCQ55TO&keywords=pritek&qid=1550894817&s=gateway&sprefix=Pritek,aps,330&sr=8-3

Tested this. Note that although this device is autovolt, it is not a transformer (step-up or step-down).

#41 raypin, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    Juice and hitme64 like this.
  2. macmacoy

macmacoy Active Member

There is what is called tax refund for tourists. Learn in advance if the country you are going to offers this and plan your big purchases. Familiarise yourself with the coverage, the terms and conditions, and on how it is processed. Some process it during purchase (i.e., Japan) and some process it in airport (i.e., Singapore).

hitme64 and imart like this.
  3. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Just to add...If you plan to do this, allocate an hour just for the lines if you plan to do this at the airport. The lines can become really long sometimes.

pandecoco and hitme64 like this.
  4. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Or bring one adaptor and 5-port USB wall brick and achieve the same need with less bulk.

If you are really desperate here is my other charging hacks (for when you are too stingy to buy an adaptor you'll rarely use *ehem* Australia).

1. If your hotel/airbnb room has a HDTV, chances are there is a USB port or two behind it and you can charge your devices/powerbank while the TV is on. Change the channel to a static one or mute (depends on your scenario) to have some peace and quiet.
    2. Airbnbs usually have Wifi as part of their amenities, and behind each router is another USB port (or two) for printers and NAS support, which can be used to charge any device slowly (0.5A output).
    • I use those ports it to charge my powerbank and/or apple watch.
    • This requires careful planning. I usually charge my powerbank when I'm out and about and when I get home, charge my apple watch using the same port. Use my powerbank to refuel my XR. rinse and repeat.
    To echo what P. Pipster said and take it to the next level, it helps that you treat some of your travel details like an exam you are meant to take. I always have my travel details memorized just in case I need to fill it out on some form going to my destination country. This helps you breeze through your flight (& helps with immigration questions) without taking out your passport and travel papers.
    • Passport Number:
    • Expiration Date:
    • Flight #: (and return date)
    • Accom name and address:
    Anecdotally, a Pinay was forced to go to the back of the long line by immigration officers because she didn't fill up her form before arrival.

P.S. The be nice and ask nicely has done it again, got exit row seat on my recent flight.

#44 rdy0329, Mar 16, 2019 at 8:35 AM
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 8:54 AM
    pandecoco and hitme64 like this.
  5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

On a recent visit to Poland, an officemate of mine suffered an allergic reaction to the food. She had NO anti-histamine or anti-allergen meds with her. As a result, she had to be confined at a local hospital without a companion (she was on a tour with a group but was a solo traveler). For 3 days, she didn't know anyone nor had any doctor or nurse at the hospital speaking English. Worse, she had to pay nearly 1000+ euros for the entire ordeal. When she returned to her hotel, after haggling with the hospital to allow her to be brought by ambulance (albeit for another 100 euros), she found out that her tour group checked her out and her luggage were nowhere to be found. By then, they were in Romania and she had no idea or information how to contact them. Apparently, her luggage was with the group all the time they toured the Balkans.

In the end, she had to take a flight back home (after buying a new ticket because the tour operator had their group tickets in tow), still with rashes on her face and arms. She had to hide her ailment because she might be quarantined during boarding or worse, during layover and find herself stranded. Luckily, she was able to arrive in Manila, four days after her release from the Polish hospital while her tour group continued on in their Balkan trip. She had less than 10 US dollars and 45 euros on her when she returned home. She finally got her luggage about a week after the tour group arrived in Manila. Because someone hastily packed her things, some of her "pasalubong" from Poland and a few other personal things were left behind in the hotel concierge.

Moral of the story: BRING your own meds. Anti-allergen, anti-asthma, anti-anything just pack them in your carryon and bring a prescription for them as reference. If you have allergic reactions to food, climate or anything, be sure you know what medicine to use. ALWAYS, always remember how to contact your tour group leader or tour guide if anything happens to you during your trip. They are bound to assist you at all times. BRING extra cash with you in your bag for emergency purposes. Don't trust credit cards, especially in local facilities like hospitals, clinics or pharmacies.

And lastly, ALWAYS have someone with you. Especially when you're actually old and in the border of having memory gaps, please have someone to guide you.

greta87, raypin, Juice and 9 others like this.
  6. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

^^^

As a kidney transplant patient that needs to take medicine on a schedule, I know how important it is to have it while traveling. I keep 3 separate identical stash of medicines while traveling. On the plane I keep one in my carry on, one with my wife's carry on, and one in the check in luggage. When we get to the place where we stay, I keep one with me and the two are separated in the house/hotel, one in the luggage and one in the safe.

greta87, hitme64 and raypin like this.