Shall I upgrade to Leopard or wait for Snow Leopard instead?

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by keyboardstyli, Feb 23, 2009.

  1. keyboardstyli

    keyboardstyli Active Member

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2005
    Messages:
    170
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Q.C.
    Shall I upgrade to Leopard or wait for Snow Leopard instead? :slanted:

    Any heads-up ideas/updates about the Pro's & Cons of either Mac OS X versions?

    Of course, I know that Snow Leopard hasn't been released yet, but I just want to know & discuss the issues (as we speak) re: upgrade pro's & con's you've experienced (going to Leopard) and the possibilities (based on current news/updates) about how & what Snow Leopard would eventually become, when it's finally released! :eek:

    I'm what you could say a low-end Mac user nowadays (at least I'm using Tiger on all my Macs now), still using PPC's basically & haven't taken the plunge yet to Intel processors, and doing a very incremental upgrade of the OS once it's fully mainstream (and when the budget permits as well). :cool:

    But I'm weighing my options for this year, before I finally do that BIG (brand new) Mac Hardware investment again (towards Intel finally), when the budget (hopefully) permits later this year. :redface:

    Or maybe I should just settle for a Mac OS X upgrade instead to Leopard or Snow Leopard (when it eventually comes out), since software is cheaper than hardware (but that's only going to be possible if my current PPC's are still going to support it though). :eek:

    Just pour your thoughts out in the open, if you will! ;)

    TIA :rolleyes:
     
    #1 keyboardstyli, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  2. arelcee

    arelcee Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2007
    Messages:
    215
    Likes Received:
    1
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Philippines
    It really depends on you. As mentioned in another thread, I've just upgraded to Leopard. It took me two years before upgrading. The primary reason that I didn't upgrade was budget constraints. Getting a Family Pack of Leopard was a bit expensive considering that I also wanted to upgrade from iLife '06 to iLife '08, and I also wanted to purchase iWork '07. Then new versions of iLife and iWork came out. Fortunately, Apple released the Mac Bundle, which made the upgrade cost effective.

    You can always wait for the next big OS release, but then you may end up waiting a long time since *the* next big OS release will always be around the corner. I know that Snow Leopard is coming out soon, but I figure that it'll take me another year or two (after it is released) before I upgrade from Leopard.

    With those things in mind, I went for the Leopard upgrade and I'm glad I did.
     
  3. rdy0329

    rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2007
    Messages:
    3,392
    Likes Received:
    967
    Gender:
    Male
    I think the support for PPCs are dropped on Snow Leopard, so it's really the best time to upgrade now. With a stable 10.5.6 and cost effective Mac Bundle. why not?
     
  4. keyboardstyli

    keyboardstyli Active Member

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2005
    Messages:
    170
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Q.C.
    @reivi400 & rdy0329: Yeah, I'm thinking about buying that Leopard Bundle also (it's definitely a good deal already for my PPC's that could be upgraded) & I've heard about that possibility indeed that PPC support might be dropped as well.

    But if it's possible, I'm contemplating skipping Leopard altogether & going straight to Snow Leopard instead (since it's a minor update apart from the full 64-bit support) if compared to other OS X releases, that's why I'm still on the "weighing/waiting game" for now. :redface:

    Anybody could provide any links perhaps, if Apple had indeed confirmed already that PPC's are definitely "not going to be supported" by Snow Leopard? :slanted:

    @reivi400: But of course (w/all those things aside) re: waiting for the next OS release.. it's a given already (upgrades are inevitable but the timing of purchasing would be crucial, to maximize the budget & value of the upgrade decision), but I'm trying to determine those small things/details in my decision making later on whether going for a BIG new Mac Hardware upgrade (w/c would have Snow Leopard pre-installed already) or just an OS X upgrade instead (to Leopard or Snow Leopard) eventually! :redface:
     
    #4 keyboardstyli, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  5. rdy0329

    rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2007
    Messages:
    3,392
    Likes Received:
    967
    Gender:
    Male
    AFAIK, recent builds and betas of Snow Leopard fails to install on PPC Macs, lemme find some link for you....

    System Requirements:
    • An Intel Processor
    • An internal, external, or shared DVD drive
    • At least 512 MB of RAM (more is recommended for development)
    • A built-in display or display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer
    • At least 9GB of disk space available, or 12GB of disk space if you install the developer tools
    source: http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/11/snow-leopard-to-drop-powerpc-support/

    This post may contradict the post above: http://gizmodo.com/5014251/source-os-x-106-snow-leopard-will-support-powerpc-chips

    That was half a year ago, things may change.. You can wait for Snow Leopard, but if the support is indeed dropped, then you can run to the nearest Apple Store to grab a copy of Leopard before the stocks go out....

    Or save up for a new Mac...
     
    #5 rdy0329, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  6. keyboardstyli

    keyboardstyli Active Member

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2005
    Messages:
    170
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Q.C.
    @rdy0329: Thanks for the link, I'm perusing as we speak.. and yes, I've encountered this link already beforehand (since I'm an engadget.com fan) as well.

    But sadly, no new updates recently.. that's why I've started this thread for others inclined (on the same boat like myself about this) also.
     
  7. rdy0329

    rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2007
    Messages:
    3,392
    Likes Received:
    967
    Gender:
    Male
    Well the safest solution is to wait for snow leopard's announcement and see if your PPC processor is indeed supported, if not, you still have 2-4 weeks to buy a copy of Leopard :D
     
  8. keyboardstyli

    keyboardstyli Active Member

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2005
    Messages:
    170
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Q.C.
    Hehe.. You read my mind! :cool: Because that's actually the back-up plan I'm thinking right now, while waiting for updates.

    Guys, just update this thread or share any valid info if there's any "new/confirmed details" about this alright, thanks again. ;)
     
  9. johannes

    johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2006
    Messages:
    5,255
    Likes Received:
    1,328
    If you have budget concerns and you're still happy with Tiger, then you can opt to wait for Snow Leopard. However, there is a distinct possibility that PPC's will be "left out" when Snow Leopard comes out.

    Nobody knows for sure when Snow Leopard will finally come out. If you're really "eager" to move on from Tiger, then go for Leopard now. Worry about Snow Leopard later. ;)

    If your machines are still working perfectly and you're still very happy with Tiger, then just wait for Snow Leopard AND the new Macs.
     
  10. keyboardstyli

    keyboardstyli Active Member

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2005
    Messages:
    170
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Q.C.
    @johannes: No wonder, that's why I'm always an upgrade away from the last OS X upgrade (whenever it happens), before finally deciding to upgrade the OS X again (it's always a last minute decision for me re: software or hardware upgrade), once a new Mac OS X version is eventually released! ;)

    Hehe.. does it makes sense, am I alone on this one?! :cool:

    But naturally, it's mostly due to budget concerns (since I buy used nowadays) & the last time I've purchased brand new was way back 2000 (as my sig below implies), w/c helps me to avoid upgrading too quickly (an understatement for me perhaps), but that's good thing (in a way) somewhat because it at least saves me from an impulse buy. :eek:

    Nevertheless, (software & hardware limitiations aside) I usually upgrade the Mac OS when installed software (regularly being used) would require an upgrade (again) to be able to enjoy new features. And when this happens, it's certainly now required (long overdue) & it's really obvious that it now outweighs the benefit of "waiting/holding-off."
     
    #10 keyboardstyli, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2009

Share This Page

  • About PhilMUG

    Since the mid-1990s, PhilMUG (formerly the Philippine Macintosh Users Group) has grown to become not just the Philippines’ but one of the world’s foremost Apple user groups. Our online community brings together thousands of members from the Philippines and around the world for the latest news and discussions covering all Apple products and related hardware and software. Anyone can join PhilMUG, from newbies to experts, subject to our membership rules and guidelines.
  • Like us on Facebook

  • Buy us a beer!

    The staff works very hard to make sure that PhilMUG is running 24/7. Care to buy us a beer or help out with our hosting fees? We'd really appreciate it!

    Donate to us!