Set-up Hotmail in Entourage

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Jericho, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Jericho

Jericho Member

Guys,

Need help... I was able to set-up my Hotmail mailbox using Entourage few months ago. For some reasons, it keeps on prompting this error message:

"Error: Expected data from the Hotmail server is missing.
    Explanation: Could not retrieve mail.
    Error: -17598"

I saw this article in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272573 -

"How to obtain a new Hotmail account to use with Entourage
    You can no longer use Entourage to access your free Hotmail accounts. To obtain access to your accounts from Entourage, you have to purchase a subscription service, such as MSN Hotmail Plus or MSN Premium. For more information about these subscription services, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://join.msn.com"

So I guess I cannot use it now. Luckily, when I click Send & Receive button in Entourage multiple times, it works. I just have to be patient in clicking this button even if it is prompting me an error message.

Anyone experiencing the same problem? Need your advice. I've been using Hotmail for years and I want to keep it.

Thanks!
    Jericho

2. Jericho

Jericho Member

Guys, do you have any feedback? Been going back to this thread to see if anyone replies but none yet :( Need your help!

-Jericho

3. Libra

Libra Member

I've tried setting-up my Hotmail too before and unfortunately I also have the same results. My Gmail has been set-up with no problem. I think Hotmail and Yahoo have the same requirements, Hotmail an Yahoo Plus which means you have to purchase this additional feature. Because of this I check my Hotmail and Yahoo separately and not through Entourage.

4. nursepia

nursepia New Member

Hi jericho,
    We have the same problem in the office setting up our email with entourage, I will be seeing the guy who will configure it AGAIN this week hopefully I can TRY to help you after.

5. red

red Member

@Jericho,

I think you answered your own question. You already quoted the MS article:

"How to obtain a new Hotmail account to use with Entourage
    You can no longer use Entourage to access your free Hotmail accounts. To obtain access to your accounts from Entourage, you have to purchase a subscription service, such as MSN Hotmail Plus or MSN Premium. For more information about these subscription services, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://join.msn.com"

You were only able to send/receive after clicking "Send & Receive" button multiple times. My guess this is still a bug that MS hasn't fixed since updating their Hotmail as part of Windows Live. I think in due time you won't even be able to send/receive even after clicking the "Send & Receive" button multiple times. If you want Entourage to access your Hotmail account, you now have to pay for the subscription.

My wife used to access her Hotmail thru Entourage but ever since they removed the free access via Entourage, my wife just uses the web mail of Hotmail.

Cheers!!!

6. Libra

Libra Member

Well if ever there is a way to set it up in Entourage, I hope you could let us know because I'd like to sync everything through Entourage. Do keep us posted. :)

7. Jericho

Jericho Member

Okay, thanks all!
    I will just use my Gmail then.

8. Jericho

Jericho Member

Guys! For some reasons, everything is working since yesterday. It looks like Microsoft decided to fix it! I can now access Hotmail using Entourage without any problems. Perfect!!!

9. SlackerMd

SlackerMd Member

u got entourage work with hotmail? any special settings? or do u really have to buy an account as stated by red?.... pls help...

10. Jericho

Jericho Member

Sorry, super delayed :)

No special settings, just set-up using the wizard. You do not need to buy an account.