Selectively restore after reinstall?

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Bem, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Bem

Bem Member

I want to reinstall my Mac OS X and I was wondering if it's possible to selectively restore some files? I have a Time Machine backup and the last time I reinstalled I know I can restore from the backup, but this time I would just like to copy over some applications. I don't want to transfer my old documents, pictures etc to the new install, just the applications because I'll still use them and they take a while to install.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks :)

2. panis

panis Well-Known Member

If you use your time machine directly to restore, you could just go to the last back up and choose the file you want then press restore. But you have to do it one by one if you want to selectively restore files.

You could also restore through migration assistant (utilities) . When asked to choose what to restore, remove the check on users, settings, and files so it would restore only the applications.