Secondary Phones / Phone Numbers

Discussion in 'General OT' started by Hero33, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

I've been thinking of getting, or at least maintaining a second phone number just for private use (among family).

I've seen many peers who get along fine with just one cell number and some others with two either for privacy or for coverage (smart gets better signal in the province).

I'd like to get your opinion on this. I'm sure there are many philmuggers with multiple businessss and just use one phone number and live with it.

I've got a client who is in office who uses just one number and has almost a thousand unread SMS messages from constituents.

Should I get another globe postpaid? Or a smart? I'm not into prepaid as it's a hassle to reload and there are cheaper plans on postpaid.

For those with two numbers, why do you have two?

Pros? Cons?

2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Two numbers are okay. Just be sure which one you use for Family and the other for Others.

Godfather, bacchus_3 and Sunil_K like this.
  3. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

When I was still in Manila, I used 2 numbers, globe and smart. My globe number was the very first number i got (90's when the nokia 2110i came out) and since that was widely circulated, I got the smart line just for family and close friends. That way I could switch off my globe by 7pm and have peace of mind that my family can still get in touch with me.

When I left, I had my smart line disconnected and still maintain my globe line till date. I aint surrendering that number up whichever part of the world I am in.

potpot2 and Godfather like this.
  4. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I have two phones, smart and globe. I use my globe for business and smart for friends and family. But, through the years my own friends and family gave away my number to future or potential clients. Now they're mixed, and I have to maintain two numbers. In my case, it became useless.

5. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Dual-sim phone with Globe and Smart.

Globe is my primary post-paid account for everything (voice, sms, and data). I maintain a Smart pre-paid as my burner sim for anonymity (ie. Txting/calling online sellers or buyers).

I also discovered that in certain remote parts of the Philippines, Smart data is faster. Case in point, when we went to Pico de Loro, Globe's H+ data was slower than Edge to practically unusable. Comparatively, Smart's H+ was almost as fast as Globe's LTE. They have a promo of P100 per 3GB for 24hrs.

6. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

A couple of years ago... I had an office and personal line...

HR was such a pain that I had to mark the personal calls everytime the bill arrives... Having a personal phone makes life easier since it allows me to make the entire bill as "office line"

Now, HR no longer asks me to declare company calls so it doesn't make sense to hold a personal number...

7. isaak

isaak Active Member

For me it's the other way around. Our HR is now charging us for personal calls so I decided to get another line. I told them - since the phone you issued to me is now strictly for business, I will only turn it on from 8am to 6pm..hehe..

There are prepaid promos/combos that you need to register only once a month so it's not so much of a hassle. Comes out cheaper, too. Please see this link:

http://www.philmug.ph/community/threads/please-share-your-combo-promos-on-prepaid.98347/

potpot2 and raypin like this.
  8. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

In my case the office phone was in "Do Not Disturb" when it's time to sleep.

9. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

I have two phones. My main line is Globe especially now that I have shifted all my family members to Globe I can take advantage of the unli calls to Globe without having to worry about over spending.
    I got a prepaid SUN just in case I need to call any SUN or Smart numbers. The Pre-Paid of sun 200 is not bad good for 30 days 5 hours of talk time and 1000 text to all networks. if you dont use up all the allocation it can be carried over to the next month. Just be sure to load before your expiry date

jesusluison likes this.
  10. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

My primarily line is Globe but I maintain a smart line for those instances when Globe is down or does not have coverage.

11. jesusluison

jesusluison Active Member

Hello. I have maintained this plan from SUN Cellular For quite some time...

PLAN ELITE 1500 ( already discontinued)
    - UNLI DATA without any CAPPING
    - UNLI Landline Calls
    - UNLI Sun to Sun Calls

The plan is very useful for my daily WAZE & otheronline work. I've already finished my mandatory lock-in back in late 2016 (unsure what month). But SUN has not given any RETENTION / LOYALTY phone because they ALREADY DISCONTINUED the plan.

If I insist on getting a retention phone, my EXISTING PLAN WILL BE MODIFIED --- I loose my UNLI DATA benefits.

I CONTINUE to pay and update my PLAN regularly. About 1.5k - 1.8k every month. For this amount that I pay, I should getting A PREMIUM smart phone from the Parent company - SMART COMMUNICATIONS. I feel I'm not getting my LOYALTY BENEFITS with SUN CELLULAR.

Any recommendations what to do?

Thanks PHILMUG.

12. gpo74

gpo74 Well-Known Member

i think that is the common practice of all carriers. shift to a new plan if your current plan has been discontinued to avail of a new phone. For 1,800 a month you should have gotten a good phone for that plan already. sayang lang unli data if you shift especially if you use it regularly.

jesusluison likes this.