Seagate wireless plus/ WD mypassport wireless

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by shootertwist, Jun 14, 2015.

1. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

Any feedback on these two items ? anybody tried to use them? how was it when streaming 4gb+ movie files? thanks in advance. Saw the seagate being sold for 7.5k for the 1tb, while the WD sells for 9.5k. The WD has a built-in sd card slot. The seagate seems to have better after sales support good for 3 years warranty while the WD goes for 2 years. But i'm primarily concerned if it streams large files, will be a great solution if it is to my iphone 6+ and ipad.

2. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I haven't used these two specific products yet but I can vouch for the reliability of my WD hard drives. Over a decade I have literally several dozens of these used a backup and they have been very reliable. Even my oldest one which was 10 GB I bought a decade ago still works perfectly. I did get 2 lemons, one came DOA and the other stopped working after my cousin accidentally dropped it.

3. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

Instead of buying the hard drives with wireless function, I highly recommend buying wireless powerbank drive instead. Bought Hotoo and Photive brands at Amazon.

4. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't really have experience with Seagate Wireless Plus drives, but I do have an old 500GB Seagate GoFlex Satellite, bought way back when it was still in its introductory phase. It isn't that much different from a Wireless Plus, I think.

Its battery lasts for around six to seven hours and connects quite well to my iPhone and iPad now (before I had to give up getting wifi while the Satellite was connected, but now it lets me do both, which is nice). No problems at all streaming 4GB or bigger movies.

5. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

hi thanks for your replies guys, got the item already and it's been great so far, here are some of my observations that might help some eyeing this one too.

1. Seagate app on iphone/ipad/android to access the files has vastly improved, but any media manager that has network functions can access the seagate wireless plus. I've tried infuse, Nplayer etc and they all work great on iphone 6+ and ipad. The seagate app only plays video files that the native ios player can play but there's an option to open it in other players like infuse etc that could handle mkvs and even files with dolby digital, dts, etc. Plus you can ditch the app altogether and use other file managers too.

2. Having 1TB of storage on the fly is a big plus, aside from movies and tv shows, i can also stream my lossless (ALAC) music files to capable apps on my iPhone, no lag experienced at all. As for movies, after doing some testing, the maximum that it can stream without any hitch or lag is 10gb-11gb mkv file with dts audio. It can stream these files no prob using infuse, vlc and nplayer based on my tests. Anything more than that file size it stutters a bit before resuming.

3. Only downside is the battery, it's rated at 10 hours but that is very generous and is using the seagate app's "download while streaming" option and playing native mp4 files. I'd say 5-6 hours is the norm using hd files and even less if multiple users are accessing it. Of course plugging it to the socket is also an option, but having it on the go is of course it's primary function.

Overall very happy with it, huge storage 1TB readily accessible is very convenient, Using infuse even adds metadata on my movies and tv shows, it's like having plex on the go :)

slater likes this.
  6. slater

slater Member

I have been eyeing on the WD, primarily for its SD card support. But, I guess I don't need that option considering the after sales support of Seagate you mentioned. We'll just see if I can get a good price deal between the two.