Seagate GoFlex Satellite mini-review

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by Adel, Nov 29, 2011.

1. nicled

nicled Member

2. drew_viii

drew_viii Member

hi considering to get the seagate goflex satellite, questions though to the TS if i may :)

the seagate comes with ntfs format right? or fat32? read online that it has a built in drivers for mac to read the ntfs format? is this true? did you format yours before using it?

hows the transfer speed as well if you can help me...

the reason why im asking this is, i use my PC to convert or DL videos, thus most of my files are HD minimum of 4GB single file size, in fat32 this is not possible, as fat32 restricts single file size bigger than 4gb, so its either i go for NTFS or HFS+ that causes me headaches most of the time, as mac doesn't write on ntfs without the proper drivers (does read though) and Win doesn't read/write on HFS+ format without the drivers as well

so i was thinking to get the goflex satellite while doing my research online as this is one perfect solution for me with usb 2.0/3.0 on the pc side and gonna get the firewire adapter on the mac side to take full advantage on both worlds.... its just a question of using HFS+ or retain as the NTFS (default comes with the HD)

care to comment TS? thanks in advance :)

3. bedanmick

bedanmick Member

Would love to have that setup but since it is limited to Apple's restriction re file format, using iTunes Home Sharing Feature would be enough for me I guess since I always bring my MBA with me anyway.

4. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi drew_viii

I don't quite understand your question. Yes, the GoFlex Satellite uses NTFS exclusively, and there is Mac software included in the drive that allows the Mac to access to read and write to it. In fact, Seagate warns you not to reformat the drive to any other system, and if you do, to reformat it back to NTFS and reinstall the drivers to enable you to use it as it was meant to. Also, it uses USB 3.0, which is fine for other systems, but the Mac doesn't support 3.0. It does backward-support 2.0, but it's a bit slow. If you want you can try looking for the Firewire 800 GoFlex Satellite interface, which Seagate sells separately.

I hope this was helpful. BTW, what do you mean by "TS"? Sorry for being clueless, but I was trying to figure it out. :)

5. bedanmick

bedanmick Member

TS = Thread Starter

:cool:

6. shaft

shaft Well-Known Member

Thanks TS, your review was very fair and unbiased. Good Firsthand facts. I definitely wouldn't be buying this now. :)

7. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

Hi Adel,

I'm in the market for an external hard drive for my aging MacBook and I was wondering if this kind of hard drive will work as external storage for my Mac or if it's exclusive for mobile devices only. Thanks in advance! :)

8. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes it will, but not in wireless mode. You'll have to connect it via USB and work from there. The files you put on it will be excluded from the wifi/iPad operation, unless of course it's in proper video or audio format and is placed in one of the "endorsed" folders.

9. cool_breeze

cool_breeze New Member

Adel, if I read it correctly you can't transfer files from like IPad directly to the hard drive itself? Even the photos? And you need it to connect to iTunes before you can transfer it to hdd?

10. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

No you can't. Even photos. And no, you don't need to connect to iTunes. You can transfer to the drive directly via USB on the Mac.

11. cool_breeze

cool_breeze New Member

One more thing, is this the only way to connect an external hdd to an iPhone/iPad?

One more thing, is this the only way to connect an external hdd to an iPhone/iPad?

Thank you very much for the review and answer to my question Adel. This is very helpful.:)