Saving quicktime streams

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Jumbo, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Jumbo

Jumbo Member

Hello,
    I'm trying to save a movie trailer from a site but it only does streaming. I tried saving the file using quicktime but when i use the file, it tries to connect to the source again. Is it possible to download the entire trailer and view it even without a net connection? TIA

2. red

red Member

Hi Jumbo,

You'll need QuickTime Pro. If you already have QuickTime Pro, let the streaming finish then you can 'ctrl+click' the Movie, then click "Save as QuickTime Movie..." If the streaming is not yet done, the "Save as QuickTime Movie..." will be greyed out.

3. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Some streaming Quicktime movies, like the MWSF 2005 Keynote, won't allow saving, even with Quicktime Pro.

4. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

5. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

In firefox, you can play around with the values in the preferences/downloads/download actions and set .mov file types to be downloaded to your computer when they are encountered. I don't know if this would work though...

Just reset the values after you're finished.

6. ryanfelipe

ryanfelipe Member

Record Streaming Quick Time video

I thought I saw a thread before where it discusses how to record streaming video. For some reason I can't find it. Anyhow, do you know any good apps where I can save streaming video? Thanks! :)

7. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

Re: Record Streaming Quick Time video

You're probably looking for the Saving quicktime streams thread. I'll go ahead and merge the two.

Basically, there are no good apps for saving Quicktime videos that stream using RTSP (Real-Time Streaming Protocol). An example of videos using this streaming protocol are the Apple events. If anyone finds an effective way of saving Quicktime RTSP streams, please give us a heads up over here.