safari Unexpectedly quits

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by johnj2803, Jun 30, 2007.

1. johnj2803

johnj2803 Active Member

i also noticed that my safari quits while browsing thru multiply and/or downloading something from multiply...

will reserve the archive and install for later. i treid deleting safari.plist but still crashes too...

2. TaNya

TaNya Member

ok how do you reinstall safari if you've already trashed it? sorry...my still learning all of this. it's kinda technical kase....

My mom's ibook has been quitting since saturday. She's a new convert so she doesn't know what's happening and so do i. HELP HELP HELP...

3. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Might as well do an Archive and Install of OS X. Which version of OS X is your mom using on her iBook?

4. TaNya

TaNya Member

i trashed and reinstalled safari na and it still quits :( i don't get it....what could be wrong with it? :( i've trashed certain folders already and it still quits... what are my other options?

5. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

How did you reinstall Safari?

6. foxdie200x

foxdie200x Member

To trash limewire, trash the application in application folder, go to /library/receipts and remove limewire.pkg something.

7. foxdie200x

foxdie200x Member

To trash safari, remove that from the application folder, samething as my previous post. remove that pkg file in /library/receipts... that should remove all info about the application.
    to reinstall, if you have the OS X install disk. mount it, on the install disk open /system/installation/packages/safari.pkg this should install safari alone, instead of going through archive and install...

8. foxdie200x

foxdie200x Member

if its 10.4 install disk follow instructions above.
    if 10.3, try bundled application on the install disk and just select the application that you want to install in the window that comes up...

i don't have 10.3 here, i can't see on which path should you go to install safari. but look for install bundled software in 10.3 disk if it has. Follow that procedure...

9. johnj2803

johnj2803 Active Member

after observing my safari for a few days, it still quits unfortunately... especially when browsing thru multiply. not all the time tho but whenever i visit my multiply page or any multiple site this is the only time that it quits!

i'm going to try archive and install now!

i'm also experiencing slow downs after the 10.4.10 update, thats why i'm doing an archive and install

#29 johnj2803, Jul 10, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  10. johnj2803

johnj2803 Active Member

update:

just finished archive and install... it seemed to do the trick :D

really don't understand what happened or why i had to do an archive or install...

oh well at least all is well just had some bumps along the way

11. foxdie200x

foxdie200x Member

Yah, archive and install would be the last resort...
    glad to hear that your mac is working fine now...

12. johnj2803

johnj2803 Active Member

thanks to you and the other guys :D

13. TaNya

TaNya Member

i copied the application from my macbook using my flash drive and copied it to my mom's ibook. Haaaay...still quits. Startpage doesn't even load and it's already quitting. Made my mom use nalang firefox. I have no idea what to do anymore...

14. wasabi2me

wasabi2me Member

Happened to me recently too. Only archive and install worked. Thanks to this thread I was spared from fretting too much about it. Try it.

15. foxdie200x

foxdie200x Member

you have to trash the safari app first. then go to HD/library/receipts and remove safari.pkg there.

then reinstall safari.. not copy safari from another computer. iF that still fails, last resort is to archive and install.

16. koppee1

koppee1 Active Member

actually, my safari also quits (crashes) now and then...all of them while I'm using gmail. :/

17. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

Simply copying the Safari.app program from another Mac (especially from a PowerPC iBook to an Intel MacBook) will not work, as you've discovered. Just do an Archive and Install and save yourself more aggravation.

18. gracegal

gracegal Member

Thank you for this info foxdie. I was able to reinstall my Safari from my OS X install disc in an instant. :D

19. foxdie200x

foxdie200x Member

Glad i can help.

20. TaNya

TaNya Member

ok got it. I obviously don't know what i'm doing. Thanks patrick! :) i'll try it that way. Someone kase told me i can use the safari in my macbook and just copy it to my mom's ibook.

any way thank you :)