safari plugins

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by raze94, Nov 12, 2009.

1. raze94

raze94 Member

hey peeps! i did a little search today and i just found out that safari has plugins. i just wanted to know what plugins do you use or recommend, and do you encounter any stability issues with the plugins you have installed. im a bit hesitant to start installing plugins cause im afraid it might have a bad effect on the performance of safari. my main concerns are crashes and speed. if you guys have any input it would be greatly appreciated. peace!

miguel ramirez

2. nydge

nydge Member

I use ClickToFlash. So far, no issues encountered for 4 months of usage.

3. rg0nzales

rg0nzales Member

4. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

Guys, just note that some plugins won't work if you're running Safari in Snow Leopard under 64-bit mode.

Safari AdBlock definitely doesn't work in 64-bit mode and you must run Safari in 32-bit mode for it to work.

5. shaft

shaft Well-Known Member

phew, thanks for the warning rafaelc378

6. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@shaft:

No problem. I was wondering why ads were showing up when I upgraded to Snow Leopard and why the AdBlock preferences menu wasn't showing up in Safari Preferences. I tried reinstalling. Didn't work. Then I found out on the web that it only works in 32-bit mode. (Right click Safari in Applications, Get Info, Check 32-bit mode)

Pic c/o http://martinottenwaelter.fr/post/173126110/safari-adblock-on-snow-leopard

[​IMG]

7. savonarola

savonarola Member

Do I need to activate the Plug-in or is it automatically acitvated after a successful installation?

8. raze94

raze94 Member

cool thanks for the info. ill try some of these plugins.

9. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

I use Right Zoom to always zoom Safari window.

10. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

is there a Safari plugin that can refresh/reload the page after a set amount of time?

11. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

rafaelc378, you just made my day.

Since the SL upgrade, I couldn't get Safari to download directly (eg- OS X Update file from Apple). The download popup would not show. Folx , a download manager, wouldn't launch if they were configured to capture download links from Safari either.

Then with your post above, I clicked on Run in 32bit mode in Safari>Get Info. Viola, immediately, Folx would launch and start downloading a link. I then disabled that and restarted the MacBook. This time the Safari download popup launched normally.

This solved my problem that no update could. My question is, why is this 32 bit option not default? My Late 2007 MacBook 2.2ghz isn't 64 bit capable is it?

Anyway, thanks. Another item logged in my knowledge base.

12. rg0nzales

rg0nzales Member

13. raze94

raze94 Member

are there any plugins that let you download videos directly from the browser? thanks!

14. rg0nzales

rg0nzales Member

Not a plugin but works for downloading YouTube videos.

If you're using Safari, there's an easy way to download YouTube videos. Open the page with the movie and press Command-Option-A, which shows the Activity window. If you're also loading other sites, you'll see a list of them: scroll until you find the YouTube page and click on the arrow to show details about what is being loaded.

You will certainly notice an element whose size is over 0.5MB (most of the time, over 5MB). Double-click on it (even if it is still loading), and Safari will download it. When the download is over, navigate to the file in the Finder (which will probably be called get_video) and add the extension .flv to its name. Now you can play it with VLC or with QuickTime (only if you have Perian installed).

15. raze94

raze94 Member

o ya i use this. actually when i learned about this method, this is the only way i download videos online. only thing i dont like about this method is searching for the file in the window to download.

16. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member Supporter

rg0nzales: Does this still work? It hasn't for me in the past few Safari versions.

17. grayminded

grayminded Member

Is there a plugin that works like firebug or web developer tool in firefox?

18. nydge

nydge Member

For downloading videos directly from the browser, I use SafariStand.

This was discussed in this thread.

19. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

It still works on my MacBook 10.6.2. Option+command A. Select huge file. Command c. Click on url box and press command v. HIt return. I guess one can make a script to do this.

20. rg0nzales

rg0nzales Member

With 10.6.2 and the latest Safari, it still works for me.