Safari 4.0 Beta loses all history!

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by kili-kili power, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kili-kili power

Mods, forgive me for posting a new Safari 4.0 thread... slight emergency lang here...

i have been using Safari 4.0 Beta since it came out...

Actually have found it gettig slower and buggy the last few days and have contemplated reverting back to Safari 3 today...

but just when i had that in mind...i left my mbpro in the room... it ran out of juice... and instead of goign to sleep... it dies..

so i restart... and i open up Safari 4.0 and low and behold... the history is gone!!! i can't click reopen all windows from last session!!! aggghhh!!! i had like a 50 tabs worth of work related stuff!!!

[​IMG]

what can i do? is there a folder i can dig up and find that lost info? heeeelllppp!!!

#1 kili-kili power, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  2. viral_variance

Re: Safari 4.0 Beta losses all history!

i don't think its possible to recover your history, unless you're doing regular backups.

you might want to try viewing your cookies, you might find something to salvage

Go to Safari > Preferences > Security > Show Cookies

3. barre05

barre05 Well-Known Member

I know the feeling.

Last night, when I used Safari to work, I found out that my history, links, etc, from the past few months of school was gone. It's not a life-and-death situation, but it's still a hassle to re-build that history.

I was wondering why, then I realized that maybe the v4.0b of Safari isn't that stable yet. :(

4. pilgrim28

pilgrim28 Active Member

Would the separate bookmark folders be affected by this? or is it just the history? If so how can you create backups of the bookmark folders? TIA

5. viral_variance

mmm i'll try to research some procedures on recovering history. for sure, its just there :)

6. barre05

barre05 Well-Known Member

So far, my old bookmarks (those from version 3 of Safari) are still intact. Other than the more frequent appearance of the colorful pinwheel and the erased history, v4.0 beta's working well.

7. kili-kili power

my bookmarks are still alive... history lang wiped out... really odd... have downgraded na to Safari 3 a few days after my post

8. viral_variance

hey this is quite late, but in the future, you can backup your history list by backing up this file, history.plist

Open Finder, go to <Home>/Library/Safari, there you will find history.plist

if you've deleted it, i have no idea right now how to recover it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.