Safari 3 Public Beta (merged threads)

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by doblezeta, Jun 12, 2007.

1. doblezeta

doblezeta Well-Known Member

just a quick heads up to everyone planning to download the just released public beta version of safari... it overwrites the old safari on your system and it breaks some 3rd party apps, such as saft or 1password. everyone be aware of this. and it crashes like crazy on my sytem. :(

2. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

Safari 3 Public Beta

[​IMG]

Safari 3 Public Beta is now available for download for both Mac and Windows here.

What do you think about it?

Do you think that making Safari available to Windows users is a good idea?

#2 booblanco, Jun 12, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  3. lockheed

lockheed Member

Re: Safari 3 Public Beta

transferred to my windows machine thats finished downloading safari. yey! it has a better inline find CTRL-F than firefox. the searched text is really easy to locate. i was using firefox to do this until now since IE in windows and safari/camino's inline find function really sucked.

the CTRL+Enter and the Shift+Enter functions, my most accessed shortcuts after F5 and CTRL+F are gone. replaced by .com as the default. well there arent that many .net sites i frequent so no biggie.

4. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

I can't live without the SafariButtons plugin that used to be available here. It adds a very useful OPEN NEW TAB button in Safari (ala Firefox). It's now incompatible with Safari 3 and when installed, causes Safari to crash when launched. Actually, you won't be able to launch Safari at all.

[​IMG]

If only for this reason alone, I'm inclined to uninstall Safari 3.

5. quietcynic

quietcynic Member

Re: SAFARI 3.0 Public Beta (caveat: breaks plug-ins)

Safari Stand still works great! :) I love the new draggable tabs.

6. lockheed

lockheed Member

back on my ibook. Safari for Windows modifies the appearance of the philmug webpage. links like "Today's Posts" and "iSpy" have been replace by "Unread Posts" and "Mark Forums Read" which take you to different pages that the former 2 did. will wait for the final release for OSX before i install it.

7. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Already installed it but everything looks and feels the same. Anything new with this?

8. zChris

zChris Active Member

I was about to say the same thing. In "About" it says that Safari is version 3. However, I still have the same old brushed metal skin. Application startup seems significantly faster though and web page loading seems to be faster as well. Dont know though if its because its 4 AM and I have tons of bandwidth at my disposal.

What do you all see?

9. macmike

macmike New Member

well, already installed a while ago, it seems okay naman, much faster web page loading. no problem here.

10. quietcynic

quietcynic Member

I wrote a quick impression post on my blog (my user name dot com), but to summarize things, I love the draggable tabs. And Safari 3.0 is blazing fast. My benchmark was digg.com . Go find a news article with hundreds of comments, and play with the AJAX. Safari 2.0 would have balked or simply died in that situation; Safari 3.0 handles it like a breeze.

EDIT: The new search feature is excellent. Try it out.. :)

#10 quietcynic, Jun 12, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  11. berniej

berniej Active Member

I'd rather wait it out. Safari for Windows (understandably) crashes like a pilot-less plane too!

12. monsalvador

monsalvador Member

This is great, been waiting for Apple to port this into Windows (I'll be switching soon) Safari definitely much more faster than IE.

13. Odysseus

Odysseus Active Member

Amazing! Safari runs fast on Windows XP.

14. psymd1

psymd1 Active Member

yup wait muna...crashes like crazy.

15. lockheed

lockheed Member

my safari for windows didnt crash at all and i used it for about an hour and a half. after testing with different sites, i dragged it to my quick launch bar since the installer only placed it in the start menu and made a desktop shortcut. it will now be my main browser if i need to search a word or part of a word within the page. IE search tool was almost useless. firefox was good but safari is way better in highlighting text to make it easier for the eyes.

i am tempted to install it on the ibook since safari 2 and camino is about the same as IE for windows where command+F is concerned. i'll put it off for now.

16. berniej

berniej Active Member

I don't think Safari for Windows is ready for primetime. A simple act of adding bookmarks makes it crash!

I love the draggable tabs and the pop-out search though...

Can't wait to see its actual/final release. In the meantime, I'll stick it out with FireFox.

17. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

with the way Safari 3's been crashing on us and not so much in Windows, why do I get the feeling that this public beta release was really intended for them and not us? for one thing, on the Mac, it's still the brushed metal look.

18. elbert

elbert Active Member

Looks like I'll be reverting back to previous version. I lost Sogudi, which has been an indispensable part of my surfing. I expected it wouldn't work, but I now realize I can't surf without it.

I like the Firefox features though like inline search and warn before quitting. The moveable tab feature is cool, but pretty useless to me. They should've allowed the pulling out of the tab to move or open it in a new Safari window. At least one can now right click the tab to get more options.

I also like the new Reset Safari options. Now it's possible to do a reset without losing saved passwords, etc.

19. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

I wonder what's on Steve Jobs' mind. First its Quicktime for Windows, then it's iTunes for Windows, and now it's Safari for Windows. Will this mean it's possible to see an OS X for Windows soon?

20. Maverick

Maverick Active Member

iTunes for Windows was created to cater to the iPod crowd that uses windows... the same thing goes for Safari for windows. iPhone applications would be created with the help of Safari for Windows (No SDK needed. Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing really...).