Running Races

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by rbenzon, Aug 29, 2011.

1. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

well, the chances of raining late in the day are usually higher. but since storm butchoy's coming (although swerving away), it's anybody's guess.

but i can see how rain can dampen your spirit. ;)

2. iCaduceus

iCaduceus Active Member

Ok then, by experience thus your PR change with the rain and wind? As i've said never tried running with a wet gear ...and even with a rain coat on?? LOL. :)

Thus anybody run to PR with the rain on? Is there a such thing. :confused:

3. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Of course, you can PR in the rain! Your core body temperature will be lower, which means you can go faster.

That's assuming, of course, that there isn't any flooding--ala New Balance 25k run last year, which I thankfully missed. :)

4. shonen_red

shonen_red Member

Rain or shine - I always am wet after running 21km :p I overheat so much that I literary pour water all over and in turn I always get soggy feet afterwards. Run safe everyone!

5. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

As I was about to board my car to drive to MOA, it started pouring. Hard. That's when it hit me: No training, no sleep, no reason to go. The pizza pie medal would've been nice, but my Ironman medal has made me a lazy guy. Iron...ically.

I guess this daddy will have to get wet some other way today. ;) Happy Father's Day, y'all.

#365 rbenzon, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  6. iCaduceus

iCaduceus Active Member

Looking at the deep dark sky, wet pavement and an empty street, i'm deciding if still a good day to run for me. Who knows it might rain even harder when i get there and the wind blow hard on me. (is that correct, well anyway). May be i should PR with the rain one of these days but not today. My bed is still dragging with into slumber. Has anyone decided to run still for the run united 2? Need convincing moment here. ;)

For the Dads... and the priests, Happy Father's day also! ;)

7. lsalapare

lsalapare Well-Known Member

Yes you can beat your record by running in wet conditions especially that summer is over. Based on my experience, running during rainy season increases my speed because my body feels cooler as to what sir roland have mentioned. :cool:

8. shonen_red

shonen_red Member

Managed to get a new PR today. Last RU1 I made it in 2:30, now it's 2:25. The rains really gave me that extra boost.

9. kartman

kartman Member

congrats on the PR, shonen_red.

i managed to PR too, based on my Garmin time, 1:42. previous 21k PR was 1:44. yes, the rain showers helped.

the organizers suddenly decided to release the runners in waves but there was no info (on the bib or through announcements) on which wave we belonged to so it was a free-for-all. the corral was full when i got to the starting area so i decided to hang back with some friends and just start with the last wave where most of the beginners were. it was challenging to say the least--weaving through runners in the dark (some were walking before they even got to home depot!). but thank goodness for the showers!

10. shonen_red

shonen_red Member

@kartman, thanks! 1:42? Dayyyuumm! I wish I can go that fast next time. Funny story is that two weeks ago I've joined a 21km (Brooks Run Happy) and it was my worst! Finished in at 2:57. See you 5150!

11. vicicasas

vicicasas Active Member

Mental note: next time I see if I can try and follow you so I can clear the crowds! For the first 3km I spent more time going sideways than forwards grr

12. lsalapare

Ang bilis mo sir!!.. and Congrats to your new PR. That's roughly 4.5 minutes per kilometer.. YOU ALREADY.. hahaha

13. eomasilungan

eomasilungan Member

congrats everybody!

ako naman nag-PR sa expo. bought a pair of asics and earphone both at 20% off.

14. kartman

kartman Member

I thought you guys were behind me until I looked back at the line and saw you guys gesturing at tricia to correct her announcement that adel had a new career as a dentist :p The entire horde was running by this time so I couldn't stop na. Next run, let's pace together.

@shonen_red, see you at subic. i hope i can do a PR on my standard distance time as well. although it's gonna be difficult since there are more climbs now vs. subit. see you!

@lsalapare, haha thanks!

15. shonen_red

shonen_red Member

@kartman, everytime I think about the hills on the bike leg gives chills to my spine. Hope I could tackle the hills in record time.

16. vicicasas

vicicasas Active Member

Hahah! Yeah, it was just too funny dude. Totally lost my focus but the laugh was worth it. Lesson learned.

Oh well. There will be other races to try and PR ... sayang lang because the weather and route yesterday was definitely conducive, I just didn't train for this distance at all and it bit me in the ass. Somewhere after the Buendia flyover I felt the inside of my right foot starting to develop a blister from a wet sock and I basically used it as an excuse to slow down na and give in to the impending bonk.

It's pretty obvious from my data that I took the entire stretch from km 13-16 off to walk, take pictures, text my wife, hahaha :D Then Adel, Bic and Tricia caught up with me at km 16 and I resumed running with Adel til the finish line, a full 17 minutes adrift of my target time :p

[​IMG]

17. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

It was Monica Torres she got a flak from ultra runners after saying that.

For me anyone who takes it upon themselves to improve and challenge themselves whether its a 5K ,100KM ,triathlons adventure racing etc. Should never be belittled.

18. kartman

kartman Member

i remember that quote. diplomacy and tact don't seem to be any of her strong traits.

19. lsalapare

Done registering for the 36th National Milo Marathon. :) I only have 1 month and a week to train myself and my initial plan for the marathon is:

• 12k for the 1st hour
    • 10k for next 3 hrs or 6 mins per kilometer = 42k..

Riovana BGC has only L and XL sizes of singlets so I went to Riovana Katipunan. No queue in registering however I find the registration process redundant because after you fill out the form, you still need to register at the kiosk but not a deal breaker for me.. :redface:

20. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

i guess she doesn't go to umak for a tact workout. ;)