Robust Grammar Checker

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Deckard, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Can anybody suggest a good third party Grammar Checker?

I dont find the Pages and MS Word checker capable enough.

I have tried Grammarian, but still found it a little wanting, plus the GUI is not so smooth.

I do alot of writing work, and though human editing is still far superior due to the brains capacity to discern "context", still a robust grammar checker helps reduce the chore.

Thanks.

2. Shinrai

Shinrai Guest

Try plugging in your work into paperrater.com, it's free and a quick check for grammar and spelling.

This is what most of us Wordpress addicts use though: After the Deadline.. It checks everything even suggesting simpler words or dropping cliches. Also free.

Nothing beats a real human editor though, as you said.

hitme64 likes this.
  3. blessie15

blessie15 Active Member

I always use the readability statistics of MS Word, and I pay particular attention to the Flesch-Kinkaid Grade Level. Its quite handy without having to install anything.

4. Thomas Cobb

Thomas Cobb New Member

Try checking out reviews on Essaylab for some free editing stuff. I used some once or twice and figured out it's better to combine several editors. Like first you write in Word and get it checked, then upload on two different sources, and if you want it perfect, give someone to read. Different checkers use varied algorithms.

5. caffelatte

caffelatte Active Member

hitme64 likes this.
  6. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

My masters professor is a Grammar Nazi. I hope he creates his own grammar checker someday. He was kind enough to give me a C+ in my thesis.

I wondered if Grammarly were around then I would have gotten a higher grade and less hate.

ronnel0918 likes this.
  7. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

+1 for Grammarly.

hitme64 likes this.
  8. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

Grammarly but bit pricey

hitme64 likes this.