Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by lamski, Aug 11, 2011.

1. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

hoping to catch this later along with Cowboys vs. Aliens. going solo on a double bill! :p

2. achtungbaby

achtungbaby Member

I appreciated the movie because of it's near-reality scenarios or should I say probability. Nothing slambang and over the hill action sequence. Pacing is well maintained.

Go out and watch!!!

3. reorx

reorx Member

Indeed this movie was very nice and exceeded my expectations, although i AM a fan of the original (and the succeeding original 4 sequels, lol). I especially liked the numerous references to the original movie, like the line "get your dirty paws of me you d*mn dirty ape", bright eyes, and Icarus.

Actually, this "Rise" is a loose remake of the original 1972 3rd sequel "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes", where on modern-day earth, an ultra-smart ape named Caesar is disillusioned at human society, trains his fellow apes, and rises violently against human rule. Sound familiar? ;)

4. anwar

anwar New Member

IMHO one of the best movies this year (so far). There was never a dull moment. I'll definitely recommend watching this one!

5. Jess

Jess PhilMUG Addict Member

a good movie indeed. not over the top but good enough not to feel you got your money's worth.

6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm......fascinating movie, as with the original versions (including the hit TV series from way back). Personally, the theme that resonates the most, unintended as it was in the film, is the use of science to hyper-accelerate evolution. There are some hints of real world experiments - will the human genome project (mapping every single DNA in the human body) eventually lead to supersmart humans? Will tinkering with the human DNA eventually make made-to-order babies (free from hereditary disease or a certain built or height etc.) as common as ordering the right upholstery or the right color for an automobile?

The film is worth the price of admission. Thought-provoking........

7. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

one movie that I could think of is gattaca where you can made-to-order your baby via gene manipulation.. now people are discriminated against their genes.

8. batengteng

batengteng Member

a good movie... with a lot of values...

if dogs is a man bestfriend... in this movie... ape is a man best bodyguard

9. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Surprised myself halfway through the movie, when I started rooting for the apes instead of the humans!

hail Caesar!

10. AthanWylde

AthanWylde Active Member

11. zChris

zChris Active Member

SPOILER ALERT

What I seemed to get, though, was that while Caesar got kinda pissed off at the circumstances of his life (and did what he did as a result), he didnt seem to be in favor of killing humans. At the end of it all, it almost seemed like he just wanted to live the life of a free man, er.., ape, and go home to the forest.

My speculation is that the apes lived in that national park just outside the city for some time, then the more violent, gray skinned ape finds a way to take over leadership at some point then the man-ape war really begins. Perhaps this is what happens in the sequel.

12. michelledsbona

michelledsbona Active Member

I concur with zChris that Caesar does not want to hurt human beings. But my theory is that the apes ruled the planet because of the virus that spread among humans, which does not affect the apes. This is the result of the medicine that was administered on the apes.

13. pochiman

by the way amigos, i'm just curious. why was Koba so mad at Jacobs? i wasn't able to follow that side story. gracias!

14. Godfather

I wondered this as well. Seems like either a plot hole or the bi-product of deleted scenes. I would guess the latter. Probably will be better explained in the DVD or BR release.

Another hole: while in the chopper, Jacobs points Caesar out to the Sheriff in order to shoot the ape, "there, that's the leader!" (or something to that effect)

How does Jacobs know? He has never met Caesar before. He met Caesar's mom when she went apesh*t (literally) in the conference room, but right after that, Rodman took Caesar home, and Jacobs never even saw him. Again, I suspect deleted scenes here again. Most probably during that morning when Jacobs strolled into his office and saw everything in disarray, surrounded by the apes from the upper tiers, then Jacobs made a panicked run for the exit.

The next scene, he was looking a lot more disheveled, talking to the Sheriff on the ground. There must be scenes in between, where Caesar confronts Jacobs for the first time and scares him.

15. memphis

memphis Well-Known Member

^^ becuase when they started experimenting Koba, Jacob was there and he realized how greedy Jacob was. So maybe that's why. A greedy and corrupt owner of the lab? :D
    ^ maybe because of the pants only ceasar is wearing? :D

16. Godfather

Hahaha, thought of this too.

If "in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king," I guess in the planet of the apes, he who wears dockers is king. :p

17. pochiman

haha! good one Godfather! :p

18. memphis

memphis Well-Known Member

Hahaha! :p

But in fairness, this movie is a good one.. It might be that i didn't expect that much before watching. The only thing annoys me is there are too many cut scenes in between that are are not properly done. Klarong-klaro putol! :D

19. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

I haven't seen it yet, but this movie has loosened up this tightly moderated forum. Only in this thread will the mods allow use of POTA. ;)

And considering all the raves here, I am sure many are already looking forward to the sequel, aka "Anak ng POTA" ;)

20. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Just had to share this tee-hee [​IMG]