Ricoh GRD III

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by chu, Dec 4, 2009.

1. chu

chu Active Member

Although I've only had it for 2 days, so far I'm loving this little camera, the build quality is incredible and the manual controls and customization on it are extensive. It's definitely something that will take time to learn...

Some Macro shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nix_jetpilot

nix_jetpilot Member

mind sharing what are the differences between this and GX 200? you have both right sir?
    thanks in advance!

3. chu

chu Active Member

nix_jetpilot: I have the GRD III but I was deciding between both cameras. The GRD III comes with a 28mm f1.9 prime lens and has a 10mp 1/1.7 sensor. The GX200 has a zoom lens and a 12mp 1/1.7 sensor. The GRD III is a bit newer in the product lineup so some features are newer such as the 3" 920k screen and size-wise it's a bit smaller. Both cameras are extremely customizable with a pretty intuitive User Interface. It's my first Ricoh and so far I'm very impressed with the build quality and the Image Quality. I've been reading up on the GRD series (I to III) and it's considered a cult classic especially in Japan.

Reposting some photos I posted in the GX200 thread:

Taken with a GRDIII with some minor post processing in iPhoto, ISO 400, f 2.5 Vivid Color Setting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Myles

Myles Member

My wife has the GRD II and I am very impressed with this camera. Excellent 28mm lens. Very user friendly, operation is straightforward, fast and intuitive, and the macro is amazing. I also love the b&w mode. We replaced the lens ring (originally black) with the one with red. I made a red leather strap to match it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before we "customized" it:
    [​IMG]

Here are some sample shots (macro):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#4 Myles, Dec 4, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  5. chu

chu Active Member

Myles: I like the look of your GRDII, it's very cool. Nice pics!

I was reading that in Japan, they have a custom service where they reconfigure your shutter button to the exact weight/stiffness you want. They also can change the markings in front to all black for a super stealth look.

6. danielg

danielg PhilMUG Addict Member

If I didnt already own a GF-1 I would probably get the GRDIII :)

Great images guys :)

7. Myles

Myles Member

Thanks Chu and danielg! I'm planning to order the Voigtlander 28mm viewfinder (pending wife's approval hehe):
    [​IMG]
    and mount it on the GR like this:
    [​IMG]

But if you want a really "guapo" GR, check this out:
    [​IMG]

8. chu

chu Active Member

daniel: Wow, high praise coming from the master! Thanks Daniel!

Myles: I love the look with the voigtlander too, the Ricoh EV-2 isn't bad as well, but at $200 it's too pricey!

9. kentamayo

kentamayo Active Member

Nice cameras guys! I share Daniel's sentiments... if I didn't have the Yashica coming, I'd probably be getting one of these as well. :)

10. nix_jetpilot

nix_jetpilot Member

Thanks Chu for the sharing the photos and Some of the differences of the cam. Took the plunge for the gx200 though. :) got an irresistable package! So hard not to consider it. But I must admit the GRD III is a great cam too! Charging the batt now... And tomorrow my yashica is coming... Getting ready for my trip on Monday! :) starting to forget that it's a business trip! hahaha

11. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

LX3 or this one?

12. danielg

Nix, Grabe GAS mo hahaha :)

Zagu, it all depends. Image quality is more or less the same for the 2 with the slight edge to the GRDIII , if you dont mind shooting with a single focal lenght camera then the GRDIII is the one to get and if you prefer a more versatile lens then LX3 is the one for you either way you can't lose with these 2 beauties :)

13. randyrivera

randyrivera Active Member

definitely this one

14. nix_jetpilot

nix_jetpilot Member

Dan: Nope naman... the package offered was too tempting! :)

15. silie

silie Active Member

wow isa pang camera!! :p ikaw talaga dan palit ka ng palit hahaha lahat tuloy kami na b.i.

16. danielg

Lis, Di naman ako binili ah, wala na akong pambili hahaha

17. _geo_

_geo_ Member

Hahhahaha! Daniel pa ! Get one na ! hehehe

18. danielg

Nope!!:p;) :p

19. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Hmm tempting specs. But I'll wait for the LX4 next year. Rumor has it that it's also a fast prime. :)

20. chu

chu Active Member

There are so many features in this camera, there's something new to learn practically everyday. I'm so amazed by the features. For instance, I just learned about its "Snap Focus" mode, as you set the Snap Focus distance (1meter, 1.5 meter, 2 meter, etc.) the camera will stay focused on anything that is in the vicinity of the range you set, you can just keep snapping away without waiting for the camera to autofocus . Coupled with a fast shutter speed in continuous mode, I could get near DSLR performance taking pictures of my little boy playing under not so bright room lighting. I never expected a P&S to have this kind of performance. Still learning and playing with this camera though, there is still so much to learn!

[​IMG]