restoring computer hardware

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by imabs, Oct 3, 2009.

1. imabs

imabs Active Member

the Ondoy floods were devastating. especially for us with computers (desktops both Mac and Windows PC) that are being used for work.

is it possible for harddisks, video cards, RAM and DVD burners can still be used after it was soaked in water and filled with mud? i have 2 500 Gb HDD, 2 160 gb HDD, 2 video cards and 2 DVD burners. so far, i have not yet tested the RAMs.

so, i need your suggestions here before i decide to get a new unit (desktop computer). thanks.

2. Clarice

Clarice Member

I highly doubt if the hard drives and the burners will still work after being filled with mud, but you can try. I am more positive with the RAMs though.

3. edricdude

edricdude Active Member

try drying everything and if you are SURE it is dry inside and out, maybe it'll work, maybe it wont

4. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

sorry for your tech losses:

ram - highly possible. Dry it really well. Use a soft paint brush or similar to wipe off any residual dirt. Blow dry (cool setting only) or apply a can of compressed air or go to your local car wash. Better if you they have those industrial type blowers (Makita brand or similar). Make sure the gold connectors wiped clean till it is shiny.

Video cards - highly possible. Same procedure.

DVD burners - maybe....if you can take it apart and apply the same procedure.

Hard Disks - very dim chances. Although it is tightly sealed it is not water proof. Lots of sensitive parts inside including the platters. Hope you have back ups for the HDD data.

Mobos - iffy. same procedure.

Power supply - not bloody likely.

Casings - of course.

Cables - forget it. Get new ones.

Don't be in a hurry to plug those. Give it time.

Good luck.

#4 raypin, Oct 4, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  5. b3nn3tt

b3nn3tt Member

#5 b3nn3tt, Oct 4, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  6. RC

RC Active Member

@imabs
    if you haven't touched your HDs yet (still dirty not been cleaned/wiped etc) it'd take them for P200

7. nydge

nydge Member

For your HDs, you can have it 'replaced'.

Check this link.

8. imabs

imabs Active Member

i have dried the Intel Processor, the Intel mobo, my nvidia pci-e video card, my creative sound card and the ram. i have not yet opened the harddisk. i only cleaned the outer part of it. yesterday, i plugged in the 40Gb HDD onto my external case and there is a hole underneath of the diskdrive and water came out. i'm afraid it's not useable now.

9. suavegabe

suavegabe Member

we have 3 laptops (my mbp uni, 2 HP DV laptops of my parents) submerged in mud courtesy of ondoy.

brought all the laptops to a shop in gilmore and they were able to make the HDD of one the HP DV to work again (this was the priority since it contained my mom's very important documents). don't know the status of the other equipments yet. hopefully they'll be able to repair them.