Replacing Retina MBP 15" Mid-2012 Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jam Peñas, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Jam Peñas

Jam Peñas New Member

Happy new year!

Anybody here tried servicing their Retina MBP 15" Mid-2012 batteries? If so, could you share your experience? Where you had it done and for how much?

My device is still fast and smooth as butter in terms of performance (for everything I do at least) so I'm not really looking to upgrade. Battery is a different story though. I'm already at 839 in my battery cycle count and my laptop's battery isn't lasting as much anymore.

#1 Jam Peñas, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  2. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Helped a friend replace his'. I asked him to buy a kit from ifixit.com. He inquired the cost from an apple authorized service center but couldn't afford it. Ifixit tags the procedure as "difficult" with a time estimate of 1 to 2 hours. We followed the procedure and can say that they were wrong about their tag. It was horrendously difficult and took us 3 and 1/2 hours. My hands were shaking before, during and after the procedure and my friend had to regularly pat a towel all over my face as my sweat was pumping hard from fear that I may damage any of the components.

If you can afford it, I suggest having your battery replaced by apple authorized professional. There's this service center specializing in macs in QC whose name slips my mind (signs of the times I guess, hehe) but he is quite popular here. He might help and I think he charges cheaper than most authorized service centers.

I cannot give the cost of materials as I left my friend do all the buying and didn't bother to ask. But he said its way cheaper than having its serviced. If I would have know then I would have charged him more than the merienda provided. :cry:

Qin Zhi likes this.
  3. Jam Peñas

Jam Peñas New Member

Thanks makintosh! I saw that ifixit kit. I think it sells for about $79. I assume you were able to replace the battery successfully since you got the mirienda :p.

I'm aware of the difficulty of DIY so I'm really curious about the people who got it serviced by Apple's authorized service centers. If it's not all that expensive then i might go with this option.

4. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

You're most welcome!

Yes we succeeded in replacing the battery. I was hard but doable. I had to review the instructions repeatedly while working on the unit since many of the parts and connectors are quite fragile. Add to the worry that I might drip some sweat on the logic board which may fry the circuits if left uncleaned when powered on. The procedure took much longer because my friend and I kept arguing how to go about some of the steps. :D

I have an older non-retina MBP and changing its battery only takes around 5 minutes.

5. louie_gudboy

louie_gudboy Member

Hi! Were you able to have your battery replaced yet? I have the same issue as you. Went to an Apple authorized service center to have it quoted, it is really expensive. Planning to go a different route but not comfortable having it done by myself. Haha!

6. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

if you ever find the courage to attempt this on your own - i suggest to take it slow. REAL SLOW. re-read and re-read the steps over and over again, zoom in on the pictures on the iFixIt guide, to avoid any mistakes. you wouldn't want to lose a 100k investment to carelessness. haha.

i just finished replacing my 2013 15" rMBP speakers, but that's a whole level easier than the battery replacement (which is glued to the MacBook's topcase). having it replaced by Apple is really expensive though - as the whole topcase has to be replaced (keyboard/trackpad and battery is all bundled with the topcase assembly).

i know this because i also had my topcase replaced by Apple a few years ago because of a very clicky/noisy spacebar. my service invoice i think cost around 25k if i'm not mistaken, but i didn't pay a cent because i was under extended Apple Care back then. my speakers gave way after AppleCare expired though, so i went the DIY route for that.

7. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

^^where did you source the speaker replacements? :)

8. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member