Replacing my MacBook Pro with MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by robbiembp, Nov 24, 2014.

1. chetiboy

chetiboy Active Member

I've been a MacBook Pro user since 2010 and myself I'd like a MacBook Air too. A 13" MBA is perfect.
    But I've been holding out for nothing as it seems it's not going to be upgraded to a retina display one yet.
    Sana by 2015 retina na macbook air, then the wait is over. :)

Hope you have a nice transition from the heavy pro to the light air! I'm so inggit!

2. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

we're forgetting one thing where the MBA has a big upper hand - and that's the battery life.

so if portability becomes a consideration, MBA wins hands down. on the other hand, it goes without saying that the rMBP's power and gorgeous screen (albeit smaller resolution at retina) comes at the cost of portability (shorter battery and more weight).

3. Sabonis

Sabonis Active Member

When you really travel and are mobile like some really are then you will understand what we mean. I came from a 13 Mbp to a 13 MBA and finally to an 11 MBA. And when I say travel, I am not talking about bringing your mac from home (drive in your car) to the office. I am talking about traveling overseas, going to meetings around the city the whole morning or the whole day in some cases.

4. twelve22

twelve22 Member

Definitely understand this and couldn't agree more. And for me, the weight difference does matter. Same thing with the iPad air and iPad mini 2, from using originally the iPad air cellular, I switched to the iPad mini 2 wifi and I do notice the weight difference regardless of how minimal it is, 1.05 pounds (478 g) vs. 0.73 pound (331 g). :)

5. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

Concerning the notebooks' weight, not to be mean or tackless but it's good for your cardiovascular system to exert a bit of effort in our daily lives. Our society does not get much exercise as it is.

Yes, setting aside time to workout is good but our biology is designed to be "working out" during all our waking hours.

6. yoh_hectic

For the audiophiles reading this should know that the MBA does not have optical out unlike MBP. Probably done for cost/weight/power/size reasons. It has a good DAC but just no optical out.

7. renelou

renelou New Member

The 13 rMBP might be an option as well if OP cannot decide.

I got the late 2012 8GB RAM version and I found the compromise between the heavier MBP and the slight lighter MBA to be acceptable. In this case, I do not have the optical drive and/or the discrete video of the heavier MBP. I also don't have the great battery life of an MBA. It seems that mine sits nicely somewhere in the middle. (And it fits a 13 MBA notebook sleeve :D)

8. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

yeah the 13 rMBP might be a nice option too since the RAM for the base model was already bumped up to 8gb.

9. robbiembp

robbiembp Member

Hi Yoh, sorry for asking, but what does "optical out" mean?

10. yoh_hectic

It is a connectivity standard to carry digital audio streams from components such as CD and DVD players, DAT recorders, computers, and modern video game consoles, to an AV receiver that can decode two channels of uncompressed lossless PCM audio or compressed 5.1/7.1 surround sound such as Dolby Digital Plus or DTS-HD High Resolution Audio. Unlike HDMI, TOSLINK does not have the capacity to carry the lossless versions of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Alternatively you can use any Mac's USB to send out audio to any DAC. I've been immersing into High-resolution audio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11. yoh_hectic

That is why I brought it up.

AFAIK the Mac is the defacto standard for audio recording in the TV, movie and audio industries.

12. gumball

gumball Member

Will be making the switch this December from a 13" MBP to a 13" MBA. When travelling, the weight of the MBP is really significant. Also, the battery life looks very promising.

I actually was pondering this initially when I bought the MBP. The primary reason before was the upgradability. Now's a different story since I would bring it to future classes and travels.

13. mtl_ph

mtl_ph Member

14. bennette

bennette Member

i just changed to MBA 13" from a MBP 15". i've been loving the MBA and its not a hassle to bring it anywhere since its very light. plus, the battery just lasts me enough the whole day! :) storage wise, just get the nifty drive or the jet drive for MBA.. :)

go buy the MBA!