Replacing my MacBook Pro with MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by robbiembp, Nov 24, 2014.

1. robbiembp

robbiembp Member

Hi Guys,

I've had my MacBook Pro for almost 2 years now, but my unit is still in a very good condition. I'm thinking of replacing it with a MacBook Air just because it's lighter (I often travel out of the country) and probably more appropriate for my use (I basically use my laptop for basic Microsoft Office tasks and some internet browsing).

My question is… Is it a good idea to switch into a MacBook Air? Is it considered a downgrade (which I don't really mind)? If ever I decide to push through, can I easily swap this to a 2nd hand Air? Or am I better off with a brand new unit?

Thanks in advance for your input! :)

...:)

2. arvindelacruz

arvindelacruz Member

There is nothing a Macbook Pro can do that the Macbook Air can't. On a Pro you can just do it faster.

For your needs get the new Macbook Air with 13 hour battery life. You won't regret it.

3. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

air gets my vote too. but if you have the budget, try to get a brand new unit so you're sure that the battery hasn't started to wear down yet.

4. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

If I were in your shoes, I'd also get the Air with 256GB and max out to 8GB :D

5. redticket

redticket Member

I vote for the MacBook Air.

I have my old late 2008 MBP still running good up to now (knock on wood). But I'll probably wait for the next generation of MBA (12" Retina maybe?) before replacing this 5 year old machine.

6. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

i made this switch six years ago (i had the first MBA in the country, AFAIK) and never looked back. the only major difference then was the absence of an optical drive and the smaller HD, but these days hardly anyone uses a CD/DVD anymore and SSD drives have expanded. go for it.

7. Sabonis

Sabonis Active Member

@robbiembp,

like you you I had to make this decision around 3 years ago. I travel a lot and need my Mac with me all the time. It does all the things my Mbp is capable of running. I never check it in for security purposes so I literally would carry this for hours during layovers. I am coming from a 13 Mbp, then a 13 MBA and now down to an 11 MBA. I try to be redundant when traveling and always bring with me my iPad just in case something happens to my laptop. This adds to the weight of my hand carry luggage.

so my long answer to your short question is yes, both my shoulders agree that shifting to an MBA will be the best decision you will ever make. Hehe.

Just don't forget, the 11 incher doesn't have the sd card slot the MBA has. Also, the MBA in general doesn't have a LAN port and optical drive.

8. twelve22

twelve22 Member

I just recently switched. I have been using the MBP 13", and was never really convinced with the MBA but always did fancy it whenever I would see one on display. Finally took the leap and purchased the MBA 11" from Beyond The Box. I am never going back. I am absolutely loving this machine. It suits me perfectly. It is the best notebook I have ever purchased. Initially I reserved the 13" and went to BTB Rockwell to pick it up. After spending time with the 11" though, I just had to get it.

You could do the SSD and RAM upgrade like the others mentioned but it is not necessary especially if you are working on a budget. I am only using the 128gb and 4gb ram, and I still have 92.73GB left and never have trouble with my RAM. But that is just me and the way I use my notebook. I mostly use it for writing, reading, and surfing. :)

And yes, brand new unit gets my vote as well.

9. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

Next Macbook Air may come out as early as April 2015.

To lengthen the life of your Air max out RAM & SSD.

If you need more space you can put in a PNY StorEDGE or Transcend JetDrive Lite. They are half-height SD cards that stay flush to the 13-inch Macbook Air's built-in SD card reader. As of this writing they max out at 128GB.

Almost forgot to mention that next year's model may have a retina display.

That is the last Apple device without a retina display.

10. twelve22

twelve22 Member

Thanks for the idea regarding the SD cards, would you happen to know if there are similar lightweight, high capacity USB drives available? Around 128gb or 256gb? I'm looking for something more portable to replace my external hdd since I do not have a lot of media anyway. Thanks!

Apologies for the OT.

11. yoh_hectic

12. yoh_hectic

13. twelve22

twelve22 Member

14. joelsky

joelsky Member

I also changed from MacBook Pro to MacBook Air. Apart from being light and handy since I also use it for work while travelling, the Air is snappy and boots really fast. The downside though is the storage since I have to transfer media files to the HD once in awhile. but other than that you are good to go with the Air :)

15. ogie_gall

ogie_gall Member

92.73 free space?? wow!

16. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

If you were to compare the new MBP 13inch Retina model and the MBA 13inch, I'd go for the MBP since they've already slimmed down the unit (no optical drive anymore) and weight is not really that big a difference compared with the MBA 13inch (11inch MBA is another story) plus you get the HDMI port on the rMBP.

17. tidus1203

tidus1203 Member

+1 on this the new Pros are just slightly heavier and just slightly thicker. You get more CPU, RAM and better GPU. And you get retina display to boot. So my pick is the 13" Retina Pro (current model without optical drive and SSD already). Weight difference is negligible...

18. vgsison

vgsison Well-Known Member

I beg to disagree about negligible weight between RMBP and MBA. That weight becomes very substantial in long travels where you put your laptop in your backpack or man bag. Its better to have MBA pa din.

Hence, MBA still gets my vote.

19. tidus1203

tidus1203 Member

Checking the specs of 13" MBP (3.46lbs) and 13" MBA (2.38lbs) the difference is 1.08lbs so I think negligible... Worth the price for that retina display and extra power.

I also wanna add that the black border of the screen of the MBP is more pleasurable to look at when typing and doing work than the grey border of the MBA. Must be the color contrast...

20. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

There is a difference in quality and performance between an MBP and an MBA, but the 1.08 lbs is NOT negligible. :) You'll definitely feel the difference.

Leo