Replacing my iMac with...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by quasar, Aug 6, 2015.

1. quasar

quasar Active Member

My 2007 iMac 20" appears to have suffered a busted logic board. Though Nomer is checking if the Mac can be salvaged, I think there's a strong possibility I'll end up buying a new one. Given the primary users will be my 2 high school kids and some budget constraints, I'm thinking of the following options:

1. A 2.6GHz Mac Mini + a LCD monitor, or
    2. A 21.7" 2.7GHz iMac

Also, considering both kids are beginning to argue about computer time, and that they'll be in college soon, I'm thinking of getting them their own 11" MBAs.

Suggestions and comments are welcome.

2. Sleepdoc

Sleepdoc Well-Known Member

If you do go the 21in iMac route, i would advise waiting a few weeks as I've heard rumors of a 21" retina iMac coming real soon. Although individual notebooks might be the better option...

3. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

Hmmm, i think getting them their own mbas would be the better option. That way no more arguements between them. Everyone's happy :)

4. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

you're forgetting two MBAs aren't enough because the Dad would have to have his own Mac, too :D

if i were in your shoes and my budget is, well, constrained, then may this:

2 iPad Airs for my kids (because other than surfing and gaming, what else would teeners do with them?)
    1 big-assed 27" iMac Retina for me (and they can do whatever else they want outside of gaming with this...)

Sunil_K and zoo101 like this.
  5. zoo101

zoo101 Well-Known Member

im with hitme64 on this one :D

hitme64 likes this.
  6. essay

essay Active Member

I would get them 2 MBAs for each of them. No time sharing quarrel. :)

hitme64 likes this.
  7. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm on the same boat of getting my first iMac in the following weeks, but having read Macrumors lately, i'm holding off my purchase for at least a couple months.

If no upgraded (read: skylake procie) 27" iMac in the following months, I might just get the base 5K Retina one.

8. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

Haha. Didnt forget the dad, was just thinking about his peace of mind. He can have the imac all to himself while kiddos have mbas

hitme64 likes this.
  9. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

You have very lucky kids! Hehe I think giving them their own MBA is a good idea. For me Mac Mini is not a good value right now...also the iMac, even the current none retina one, has a really nice screen.

10. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Hmmm... sort of in the same predicament.

Here's the Apple dominated situation in the house right now: New iMac 20 for the wife. New Mac Mini for me. Two kids are sharing my wife's old 2009 Macbook Pro, and I also have a spare 2009 Macbook Pro (mostly for travel).

Both MBPs are slow ass hell now given their age, but much props to their durability. Wife says kids will need a serious upgrade soon, and I'm not sure whether to get another iMac or a Mac Mini. We've had one old iMac bust out on us (motherboard) after only 3 years of use, so I'm kinda wary of these all-in-ones, so I'm leaning towards another Mac Mini for the kids. But really gotta admit, that iMac is really really sexy.

hitme64 and Sunil_K like this.
  11. quasar

quasar Active Member

An update: We've held off buying a new Mac for the meantime. Nomer diagnosed the problem to most likely be the power supply. I've found a supplier selling the part for around US$46, and I'm just trying to find out from Johnny Air how much it will cost to send it over here.

12. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^my 2010 iMac had the same power supply problem but i had it fixed by DW c/o Charlie...

otoh, if given the chance (and the moolah) i'd also settle for the new iMac because it IS sexy...

13. quasar

quasar Active Member

Update: My 20" iMac is officially dead. I'm having Nomer salvage the 1TB hard drive (which I installed just a couple of weeks before the iMac went bust), the RAM, and the superdrive. The family decided to replace it with a 21.5" iMac, but we haven't decided on whether to get the 2.8GHz, or the 3.1 GHz 4K Retina. The 4K Retina is nice, but the reviews I've read say that its performance is hamstrung by the base 1TB 5600rpm hard drive. To save a bit of money, I'm leaning towards getting the 2.8GHz, and upgrading the storage to a 1TB Fusion drive. What do you guys think?

14. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

Why not just buy a PC?

A Windows 10 PC is half the price of any Mac if you are going to compare it point by point. Sure it isn't that well built and neither does it use premium parts but it is easier on the pocket.

And Widows has come a long way since Windows XP.

15. motoflux

motoflux Lemon Pepper Fan

I'm quite sure TS wants to stick with Mac for certain reasons I don't know.

To quasar, if CPU Power is not that important or needed, 2.8Ghz is sufficient for your needs. You have 1TB storage which is quite enough for your downloads/other stuff, otherwise, we have External HD for that

#15 motoflux, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  16. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

If browsing, word processor, spreadsheet or presentation Google, Microsoft and Mozilla do have Windows versions of their programs.

If it's iMovie, Photos or Garageband then it's worth sticking to a Mac. TS mentioned money was at issue so I mentioned Windows.