Remote Install into Non-MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by mindless, Sep 5, 2009.

1. mindless

mindless Member

Has anyone successfully tried this?

I need to install Snow Leopard into my GF's white macbook but her dvd drive is busted so I thought this would automatically work. Turns out you need to do a hack it a little bit to enable remote install and I found this http://www.jasonevangelho.com/2008/...remote-disc-dvd-drive-sharing-non-air-macbook

It works so far as long as you don't need to reboot (meaning I can see the remote disc in finder) unfortunately Snow Leopard says that it needs to reboot. When I reboot and hold the option key at the boot screen there are no options for me to boot from the remote installer.

I'm hoping someone here has had some luck doing this.

2. mindless

mindless Member

Is there any local store that can help me install SL into my gf's laptop? all i need an external dvd drive or something...

3. poleng

poleng Member

#3 poleng, Sep 5, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  4. RC

RC Active Member

Just bring it in to where you purchased your macbook...
    Or any computer store should be able to help you out.

They should be able to "lend" you a dvd drive

5. eberhart

eberhart Guest

Hi guys!

mindless
    I have same problem that you described.

I don't have any ideas how to solve this problem. May be you have any solutions of it.

Thanks.

Kind regards, Eberhart.

6. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

i can help you install SL into your macbook even with a busted optical drive... PM or text me at 09167918924.

7. eberhart

eberhart Guest

Thanks for the answer, but I'm from Kyrgyzstan. :) If you have any solutions of this problem, pls, share.

8. alistair

alistair Member

I was able to install Leopard (not sure about Snow Leopard) before into another laptop by using Target disk mode (on a Firewire connection). Not sure if that's any help for you, though...

9. eberhart

eberhart Guest

I have Ethernet connection through switch. One computer is PC under Windows XP. Ping between computers is Okay.

#9 eberhart, Sep 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2010
  10. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Buy or borrow an external usb dvd drive. Boot into OS X dvd by pressing option key.

You can also create a USB stick installer. Just google it up.

11. eberhart

eberhart Guest

Have no friends who can help me with it. And have no money to buy. :(

Yeap, I know this method, but here I also have one little trouble. The trouble is that my USB stick is 7.49Gb and the mac os x install image is 7.54.
    Is there any ways to reduce the image?

12. alistair

alistair Member

I remember now—I was also able to install Snow Leopard using an image of the disc written on to a USB stick (didn't want to lug around and use the physical disc). In my case, though, an 8GB USB stick was more than enough to carry the image.

13. eberhart

eberhart Guest

You are lucky! ;) I have another .dmg image made from MBP native DVD and it fits to my 8Gb USB stick. But I had no success with installing it on my MB. And now I have Mac OS X 10.6.3 Retail .dmg image that is bigger than previous.

14. bachoyboi

bachoyboi New Member

-i have been in this exact situation before! what i did is this: downloaded a livecd fron the internet , i used a kubuntu livecd i think it could have been just regular ubuntu you have to make sure it can "dd" unix command.
    -I removed the mac book hard drive and mounted it on the PC using an external sled
    -booted to kbuntu livecd and partitioned the drive into two partitions 10gib and 50gig
    -imaged using dd onto macbook drive
    -put hard drive back into macbook
    -booted off 10gig partition of macbook drive to install leopard
    -your done.
    so umm if you don't want to buy an external dvd drive or a usb stick or get your drive fix or get another mac and do target disk mode install. You should try my method. I recommend trying any of the other methods first though, as learning to use a livecd unix installation to image an installer into a drive just so you can perform an install probably isn't worth it.
    -yes i am being a smarty pants.

15. paparazzi

paparazzi Well-Known Member

If you are using an Intel Mac then the solution is fairly simple:

1) Buy an 8GB USB stick and then restore an image of Snow Leopard DVD into it using Disk Utility. Use a machine with a working DVD drive for this.

2) Plug the stick into the machine where you want to install SL. Boot the machine and when you see the Apple logo, hold the Option key

3) You will be given a choice of where to boot from, choose the USB stick and install SL from there.

All done.

16. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Eberhart, please list all of your equipment. Include all pcs, macs, their drives, hdd, usb sticks, etc. We need to know the details by which we can plan a course of action.

Example:

-pc with 1 hdd and dvd rom
    -1 usb stick 7.56gb
    -1 external usb hard disk 160gb
    -MacBook with broken drive
    -OS X dvd installer 10.6

17. eberhart

eberhart Guest

2 all

I have equipment, that you can see below:

1. 2.16GHz MacBook (black) (DVD Drive is busted, with out any Operationg System, clear HDD) Description
    2. (PC) Sony VGN-S4HRP (with installed Windows XP, DL DVD is not supported, HDD 80 GB)
    3. Ethernet network connected through switch
    4. USB memory stick 1 (capacity is 7.51 GB (8 065 642 496 bytes)
    5. USB memory stick 2 (capacity is 3.75 GB (4 035 375 104 bytes)
    6. Mac OS X 10.6.3 Retail .dmg image 7.54 GB (8 101 199 872 bytes)
    7. Hands :)

My idea is that I can use Remote Install. But there is no dialog where I can choose network boot.
    I've tried to hold down "N" when rebooting. But nothing happened.

Any questions?

18. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I have gotten Remote Disc to work on my MacBook and netbook. It allows reading and writing (using Toast 7 on both machines). It will not be able to install OS X remotely like a MacBook Air because that boot option is not loaded by the firmware. You will not be able to install OS X using Remote Disc.

OS X 10.6.3 when mounted is only 7.25gb. Format your usb disk and try restoring the OS X .dmg.

Other than the usb stick I see no other option but to:

a) buy a bigger usb disk
    b) buy an external usb dvd drive
    c) buy an external hard disk
    d) have the MacBook's dvd drive replaced
    e) find a shop that will install OS X for you.
    f) commission someone to buy you an 8gb usb disk and restore OS X
    g) restore an older version of OS X that will fit your usb disk

19. eberhart

eberhart Guest

Thanks for you advices. I'll try to find bigger USB stick. It's easiest way for me.

20. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

On a pc you need an OS X .iso. You also need a Windows based tool to create a usb boot disk. The usb disk needs to be formatted MacOS Journaled with GUID partition scheme.