Refurbished Mid-2012 MBP 13 Screen Flickering

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Christine M, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Christine M

Christine M New Member

I went to the US last June and took the chance to buy a Macbook ‘cause they’re cheaper there and there are more options. Actually wasn’t really planning on getting one but my current laptop at the time became unusable and my budget only let me get a refurbished mid-2012 13” Macbook Pro.

It has been working just fine for about a month until today when the screen started flickering between the normal color and a green(?) tint but ONLY when watching videos (Netflix/YouTube) fullscreen (so far).

I got it from Amazon and it’s refurbished — can I take it to an authorized repair center or resort to GH?

2. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

have the same issue with my 2012 model. called BTB apple repair. They told me it is vintage and have no more parts. Their Diagnostics is 1500 done in 3 days. fyi

3. Christine M

Christine M New Member

That’s sad. I’m probably just gonna ask my uncle back in the US about this. He said he could help if there were any problems.

And damn, 1500 just for diagnostics?

Thanks!

Macmon likes this.
  4. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

let mw know how it turns out. Does your model come with the dedicated graphics card from nvidia?
    It is a common issue with this model.
    it sad because this year model for me is one of the best in terms of upradable parts

5. Christine M

Christine M New Member

I probably won’t get to this in the near future, but will update when I do.
    No, mine has the Intel HD 4000. IIRC, this one’s integrated with the processor.
    Same thoughts! That’s why I settled for this “old” model compared to the newer ones.

6. Christine M

Christine M New Member

Asked my uncle about this and we troubleshot. From what he gathered, it seems like my Safari is corrupted as there were no flickering when I used Chrome and Firefox for Netflix and YouTube. There also was no problem in using VLC.