Refrigerator Recommendations

Discussion in 'General OT' started by Kelvin, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

Got a LG 6 cu ft inverter single door 60 watts this weekend. Got it in Automatic Center warehouse sale at 24 months installment.
    Was surprised that the delivery personnel was able to carry it backpack style straight to the 3rd floor.
    So far it is running ok. Will see and hopefully will be running well.

hitme64 likes this.
  2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

And for the new condo it’s a Panasonic 14.4 cubic ft dual inverter self-cleaning refrigerator with digital readings on its door. How it’ll clean itself is something I want to see. Anyway, this is a bottom freezer ref which is the new craze right now. It makes getting the ice cream gallon easier to snap up.

Sunil_K likes this.
  3. chorizo

chorizo Member

I want to get this too BUT. . . . its 27 inches wide and so is my kitchen door. Trying to figure if i can detach the ref door then re-install after i slide it in the kitchen.

4. hitme64

We moved it in sideways. It fit through just enough.

chorizo likes this.
  5. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

in line with the fridges, do you guys use AVR just in case power fluctuates? any recommendations? thanks!

6. hitme64

^I don’t actually. Mine goes straight to the power outlet. New refrigerator tech are now designed for power interruptions and fluctuations. That’s what I got from people with Panasonic, LG and Samsung.

7. Sabonis

Sabonis Active Member

@guapito, I use a power delay gadget that acts as an avr as well. I think the brand is zebra. If the power goes off, when power comes back , the gadget will delay the supply of power by around 10-15 minutes. Protecting it from the power surge.

8. Ryluv

Ryluv New Member

Hi! Is that the same as the Panasonic NR-BX468XS ? I would love to know how yours is doing in terms of power consumption, its cooling ability especially the freezer and chiller, the noise it makes, whether tolerable or something that can be annoying especially when it's most quiet like at night time. That "self-cleaning" feature is something new and I'd like to know too how it does that :)

Bottom Freezer fridge is really what I want to replace our old LG fridge with . It's still running but since I got home last year, I'd been so annoyed at how small and terrible it is that you have to bend to get the things you need and I always forget that we still have a certain vegetable until it gets bad coz the crisper is down at the bottom where stuff are not visible and like I said, it's just so difficult to bend and reach for what you need (I'm getting old haha). I guess I just got so used to having a bottom freezer in China. When I got there in 2007, the first thing that I really appreciated in the condo where my boss had rented for me to stay at was the bottom freezer fridge. It is so convenient (and rational design) since the top part where the cooler is is what i ( and I'm sure everyone of us here) need to open most of the time. The freezer is only needed when it's time to cook meat or after I come from the supermarket to store the meat. Right then, I wished that we had that kind of fridge in Philippines. In all the condo units my bosses had housed me in in my 11 years of stay in China, I had always used a bottom freezer fridge and so when I finally came home last year, i really had a hard time with our old LG top freezer fridge. So since last year, id been hunting for the best bottom freezer fridge and I'm so glad that we do have that kind now here in Philippines.

I had finally decided to get the Panasonic one which has 450 L capacity (NR-BX468XS) and i've reserved one to buy this Wednesday but I'm really concerned that I might regret it if it breaks down easily or it doesn't function well as the other brands so would really appreciate if you could give me insights about this ASAP.

Thanks in advance!

9. hitme64

^I actually don’t hear it making noise. It’s a smart ref, you swipe up or down cooling features on its door. It’s an inverter type so I will be able to see electric savings maybe by a month or two. It looks great in stainless grey. And the freezer can accommodate 4 ice cream containers. Which is why I love it (y)

10. Ryluv

Ryluv New Member

Thanks for replying :) I guess we're talking about the same fridge then so I'm happy now about choosing that and excited for the first time to have a fridge delivered tomorrow. Can't wait to finally not be bending to get what I need (except for fozen stuff) and to finally have (like you said) a BIG drawer type freezer at the bottom that can accommodate lots of ice cream boxes :)

Just realized though that my nephews are the ones who will probably be happier than I am coz those boys can now reasily reach the freezer. For some reason i don't understand, they love to climb and open the freezer with or without ice cream in it. I guess that's gon'na be the downside of having this type of fridge :(

hitme64 likes this.
  11. fink

fink Member

Here’s my quick review of Samsung side by side 24 cu.ft ref (RS62R5031M9):

Size: 24 cu.ft may seem huge, but coming from a 9.5 cu.ft standard 2 door ref, I feel like the ref side is about the same or a bit slimmer, but the freezer side is a bit too much.

Features: This model ditches the fancy features like ice and water dispenser. It does have a useful feature: power cool/power freeze or quick cool/freeze on demand. Haven’t tried it though as it might mess with the power consumption.

Power Consumption: Power consumption is a little bit less or about the same as our old non-inverter, manual defrost 9.5 cu.ft ref. Same power consumption for about 2.5x the capacity

After sales service: After 2 months of use, the ref broke down! Samsung was able to send an onsite technician on the same day. Our ref was infested by ants! Checking the warranty card, this was not supposed to be covered by the 1 year service and parts warranty, but the service center was kind enough to honor it and replace the damaged parts free of charge.

SRP: 70k, but is usually on sale for 56k + freebies (in my case, I got a Samsung washing machine that I was able to sell for 10k).

12. Joemer

Joemer Member

Hi everyone,

Bought our first inverter ref Panasonic NR-BX418XSPH, This is a 14.4Cu bottom freezer.
    @Ryluv and @hitme64. Any tips? as we all have the same brand but mine seems to be a little shorter the yours. What's your seetings for the freezer, Prime Fresh and Fridge? Mine is currently set to Medium temp on both the freezer and fridge. The Prime Fresh is set to max as it is currenly full.

hitme64 likes this.
  13. hitme64

We have the same model and dimensions (14.4 cu). I set my fridge and freezer at Medium to enhance Eco Mode while Prime Fresh is at Chill for meat and fish ready for cooking. Since it’s an inverter, we will be able to find out in 2-3 months if it somehow economizes our electricity consumption.

14. Joemer

Joemer Member

Thanks alot sir hitme64. Will observe din po in the coming months. BTW when you set to the Prime Fresh to Chill what's the consequences? Mine is set to max as it is full right now, Won't setting it down to chill mode spoils the meat and fish sa Prime Fresh? Just gathering info on how to maximize the ref specially to reduce power consumption. TIA...

15. hitme64

I use the Chill Mode to prep the meat for cooking during the day, but not for overnight cooling. No need for bringing out frozen meat or fish for thawing.

16. Joemer

Joemer Member

This is noted sir. Will keep my prime fresh to medium na lang. actuall all are now set to medium.