Refrigerator Recommendations

Discussion in 'General OT' started by Kelvin, Sep 17, 2013.

1. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

Anyone who's had a Samsung digital inverter ref for close to a year now? How is it?

2. s2pid_kid

s2pid_kid Member

Purchased one way back 2014 did have it serviced around April cause it was leaking. Found out that the air outlet has been clogged with ice, after they serviced one side of the ref and still keeps on leaking after a few dfays. I told them that they have to clean them both and after that no leaks anymore.

3. JayShawn

JayShawn Member

have two. a 8.36 cu ft for my room and a side by side 19.6 cu ft for the kitchen. they have been with me for roughly a year and a half. i bought them to replace our yolanda damaged refs which keeps conking out. tired of the hassles of the repairs, i replace them with new inverter units.

coupled with a new inverter aircon, i saved 25% on my monthly electricty bills. that is roughly P5,000 monthly savings for me so more or less in 20 months the inverter units would have paid for itself.

so far i have no issues yet with the refs. keeping my fingers crossed.

4. r_delro

r_delro Member

Don’t get a whirlpool inverter ref...we we’re once a loyal whirlpool customer until this inverter unit...our old ref was a side by side ref made in US. It served us since 1997 until 2014 when it had a series of repairs. We finally decided on getting a new one last 2014, this is the inverter version of their side by side model. Last september 2017,we already replaced it’s inverter board and some sensors which costs us 6+++...and multiple visits by their technician...after the repair, the tech recommended to use an avr. This would help in regulating the electricity which they said was the cause of the malfunction...well, now the ref is acting up again and is due for another diagnosis and repair....

5. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

im not happy with our samsung ref/freezer. Less than 3 years it bogged down :(
    if you see the unit its in VERY GOOD condition but well still a lemon haha

6. imart

imart Well-Known Member

And so I've just received the news that our beloved GE refrigerator, nearly 40 years of age na binili noong ipinanganak daw po ako, has passed away. The brand has already wrapped up its business in the country so I dunno which ones to get. Stick to the Japanese labels or get the ones that can already charge an iPhone? LOL

Appreciate and thanks for your recommendations in advance.

7. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

panasonic inverter

imart, jologs and Aargh like this.
  8. imart

imart Well-Known Member

Thanks Sir. Now looking at panasonic. Kinda noticed that some of the bottom freezers are more expensive than the traditional top. Makes it easier for the kids to access some ice cream.

potpot2 likes this.
  9. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

Agree on Panasonic!

imart and potpot2 like this.
  10. Niceyfemme

Niceyfemme New Member

Hi everyone. I'm looking for an upright freezer and so far my choices has come down between LG 6 cu feet Smart Inverter Upright Freezer and Panasonic 6.5 cu feet upright freezer. Only LG have the inverter upright freezer. Seems like everyones high praises for Panasonic but it is 170 watts while LG inverter is only 85 watts but the reviews I've read are mixed. Some say it's good but some say they hate it.

Anyone can please share your thoughts? I need to make a choice soon we really need to add a freezer. Btw we are using a Panasonic Inverter Fridge with bottom freezer. It's more than 6 years old and so far still working fine. The fridge is not as cold as I'd want it but still ok. I am really drawn to the inverter feature of the LG because I am scared of Meralco.

11. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

What do you plan store in it? If I may share my insight on this, we prefer to use chest freezers at home for our meat/frozen goods 'cos it's more energy efficient in a sense that it's temperature is more stable since it's top loading, hence, less "escape" of cold air every time you open the freezer. Unlike in upright freezers, where all the cool air escapes instantly once you open the doors, prompting the freezer to turn on it's compressor more frequently.

But, then again you might be opting for an upright freezer for easier accessibility of food since it's compartmentalized and that it's more visually appealing than a big white box in the middle of your kitchen. haha!

12. Niceyfemme

Niceyfemme New Member

Plan to store cooked food. Batch cooking then freezing. Yes for accessibility because with our current bottom freezer I find it hard to search for those under the pile. We went to the mall and checked the display models. Can't really decide between the LG 6 cu ft inverter and Panasonic 6.5 cu ft non inverter. Since I really needed to decide already I have settled for the LG. Fear of Meralco bill overpowered me in the end. I hope I didn't make the wrong choice! Will update here my thoughts of this model after I get my first power bill.

13. vtf

vtf Active Member

mine was purchased in 2014 never had issues EXCEPT for some rust in the recessed door handle. i cannot figure out how it got there.

14. sbuckspodium

sbuckspodium Member

Most likely it had a defect from the assembly line... Or maybe the people that installed it scratched it with the gloves/ring they had on.
    Also maybe ice got lodged in...so many possibilities.
    At least it still works!

15. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

GE still has refs for sale!

16. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

as for LG inverter units im not happy also. i have 3 at home. 2 broke down!! so weird. maybe it has something to do with the inverter technology and maybe our electricity?

17. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^if only Smeg had an inverter unit...

18. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Parang they rebranded to Mabe na yata? tama ba?

19. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

nops Mabe is different. they are just one partner of GE (mexico). But GE still has refs for sale. but its the usual ref not like the samsungs/LGs with so many useless features which breaks down easily haha

hitme64 and porkypork like this.
  20. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Three years. Purchased 2016. Has rust on the lower door hinge. Dog pees on it all the time. Beats me why...