Refrigerator Recommendations

Discussion in 'General OT' started by Kelvin, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Bennie, that's not true. When we changed our Whirlpool 17 cu.ft. conventional ref to the same size inverter LG, I realised a monthly savings of P3,500 to P4,000 from my electrical bill. In the 12 months that I amortised it (0% plan), the ref practically paid for itself. The Western rep doesn't know what he's talking about.

Just know that LG and Panasonic have true inverter motors in their refs. Samsung achieves this effect via software, and uses the conventional linear motor compressor.

panis likes this.
  2. panis

panis Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information Chito. So it's an inverter ref then for me. I did some searching and I found the Panasonic manual defrosting inverter refrigerator. I won't be needing a big ref since I also use a chest type freezer.

3. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Both LG and Panasonic have ref models with large bottom freezers. Maybe you can consider them and get rid of your chest freezer. Unless you really need a large one for business, or for stuffing a drug lord inside one, hehe!

hitme64, panis and Sunil_K like this.
  4. panis

panis Well-Known Member

Ha ha ha. I would offer the freezer for rent to those whose job is to eliminate drug lords, and I'm sure there are plenty right now.

My daughter and I make our own tomato sauce and cook it in big batches for storing. We don't use store bought tomato sauce anymore. Her office mates have been asking us to sell them some. I also use it when I bake a lot of pizzas or when my daughter bakes cheesecakes or sans rival, especially during December or during birthdays.

5. Sabonis

Sabonis Active Member

Hi @Chito Limson , I am in the market as well for a new ref. I am looking at side-by-side type of refrigerators. Am choosing between Samsung and LG.

Any opinions or experiences from these brands? Currently have my eyes on LG.

6. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

i have the side by side, 6 door LG ref last year and am so happy with it.

my old LG is already 16 years old and still working.

Weddingsingr and Sabonis like this.
  7. Sabonis

Sabonis Active Member

Thanks for this feedback and affirmation. Will go LG then.

8. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

LG, without any doubt. I base this reco on personal experience with three actual units running at home and two condos.

macdrive007 and Sabonis like this.
  9. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

am really confused now, is Samsung a true inverter ref?
    only Panasonic claimed that they have true inverter compressor, other brands neither deny nor proved they have true inverter compressor and most listed or ads their ref as digital inverter, etc etc.

why our govt allows such ads unlike other countries ads should be clear and straight to the point. we still allow something like "upto 100% saving", WTF

10. Sabonis

Sabonis Active Member

@Chito Limson and @trigo , thanks for the feedback. I ordered an LG side-by-side today and will be delivered to me within the week. The missus is happy so that technically makes me happy. As they say : "Happy wife - Happy life's". Hehe!

trigo and Chito Limson like this.
  11. Sabonis

Sabonis Active Member

Damn these auto correct - what I meant was happy wife = happy life. Hehe.

12. panis

panis Well-Known Member

Just an update: when I have already reserved a Panasonic inverter ref, the ref mechanic I called came, looked at my old ref, said " wow Philacor made, changed the relay and gave a new lease on life to my old ref.

Chito Limson likes this.
  13. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

IMG_2885.jpg

I too have an old White Westinghouse 8 cu.ft. ref that I haven't disposed of. It's been reconditioned (motor overhaul, new door gaskets), though it still needs a little aesthetic makeover, especially the yellowed internal freezer door. I keep it unplugged in the lanai, festooned with scores of ref magnets, and goes into service when we're entertaining — y'know, loading it with beer and soda, boxes of cake and other food trays that must kept cold.

#93 Chito Limson, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    ronjet likes this.
  14. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

will just settle for a Panasonic Inverter ref to avoid all those technical ads words, inverter technology, smart inverter, etc etc, at least Panasonic ads theirs straight to the point Inverter Compressor, that’s what worth the upgrade to surely saves on Meralco bill, its our main purpose to change the old ref not bec it has problem.

any review on Panasonic Inverter ref? are they good? never tried one, only use their conventional aircon and satisfy naman

15. Weddingsingr

Weddingsingr Member

Also in the market for a side-by-side ref. I like the LG but have some hesitations due to negative feedback I also read before. My wife is not favorable of the LG brand for the same reason. Very disappointed with Whirlpool that my sister bought for my parents. After a few years, the plastic parts on the drawers in the ref area started cracking. According to service center, my parents have to buy a set of the shelves to replace them (plastic and glass).

16. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

we had an imported whirlpool that we were using, it was okay until the ref side isn't maintaining the coldness. i figured it was the magnetic strip that needed to be replaced. the local whirlpool service center cannot provide for it, even if for the part number they cannot. i'd rather purchase something that can be serviced locally that buy a cheap imported one that nobody can service.

17. manager

manager Active Member

Anyone have an Electrolux inverter ref? How's the performance?

Interested because they have reversible handles :)

18. Sheryl.

Sheryl. Well-Known Member

Went around this weekend looking for a new inverter ref... all sales people recommended Samsung.

Based on price, LG seems to have the best pricing. But these sales people kept saying go for Samsung.
    Maybe they get more commission from Samsung.

19. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^@Chito Limson I'm in the market for that freezer for a favorite drug lord to stuff in...I mean favorite bags of lard to stuff in...

Ok, so the LG inverter is the right one, right?

Chito Limson likes this.
  20. MariVilla2016

MariVilla2016 New Member

Hi... Pls avoid Samsung top freezer 2-dr even with 10 yr warranty. Bought mine in 2013 and compressor needs to be replaced now. Just placed order for a new one which is still under warranty but I still have to pay 5K+ for a bunch of other stuff. I'm so pissed right now that I took the time to sign up for this forum to warn others. Samsung cannot offer any explanation as to why I have to pay the extra 5K which I shouldn't have to pay in the first place if their freeeegiiiing compressor didn't give up in less than 4 years of proper use!

Calling on Samsung to explain what their 10yr warranty really means -- is it because they're proud of their apparently inverter technology or they already know that it will conk out under 10yrs but they still want to squeeze a few bucks from their unsuspecting customers in exchange for a freeeegiiiing free compressor?