Refrigerator Recommendations

Discussion in 'General OT' started by Kelvin, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Kelvin

Kelvin Active Member

I was considering a Fisher and Paykel but they still don't have inverter tech models. Hopefully if my Samsung breaks down, it will within the warranty period.

2. Time

Time Member

Im not so confident about the inverters. My experience with Samsung worried me.

3. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Well, their warranty is 10 years on the compressor, I'm not sure how long for the board. Are you using an AVR for your unit?

4. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Mind if I ask what part broke down?

5. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

been using samsung refrigerator inverter for almost 3 months, yes, 10 years warranty on compressor, an average of 800 pesos off on my electricity bills :cool:

6. crazy_boy

crazy_boy Member

Just received a delivery for a Samsung inverter ref. Waiting for 5 hours to let the compressor oil settle before we plug it in.

7. randyrivera

randyrivera Active Member

It is just a matter of terminology. For all we know, our refs are already just like an 'inverter' type. Samsung used the term 'inverter' which means the conversion from AC to DC. That way they control the speed of the compressors. In simple terms, if the ref needs a little cooling only, it only spins the compressors in a slower speed. No need to go full speed all the time, unlike our old refs it's just on either the on/off state (FULL SPEED/OFF). This consumes more energy. Remember those ticking sounds in our refs before? Tapos sabay fluctuate ng kuryente? Imagine the current draw.

They (Fisher and Paykel) has what they call 'ActiveSmart', and as you may guess, the counterpart of Samsung's Inverter type. For my products (Viking), we call them 'ProChill™ Temperature Management System with variable speed DC Overdrive™ compressor. Subzero doesn't have a term for it, but theirs work the same way. My 20-year old Whirlpool has already been the 'inverter' type already.

Anyway, that's how we save electricity. If we go scouting for refs, we may never find the word 'inverter' in other brands ever.

Funny, while I was in the Viking factory, I asked our top engineer. "Do we have inverter refs?" He said,"What's that? Haven't heard of inverter refs..." But of course, when I checked the compressors in the assembly line, it's clearly written there - DC power and runs 53.33–150HZ. So yes, it's an 'inverter' type, it's just they don't call it that way.

Note: the next time we go ref shopping, ask the salesman if the compressor is a Variable Speed DC Compressor, haha.

#47 randyrivera, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
    Ryluv likes this.
  8. minggoy

minggoy Active Member

whatever ref you buy ... never ever use a knife in the freezer!!!

9. Kelvin

Kelvin Active Member

Hi Randy, thanks for the useful info. Hopefully someone else who's in the market for a ref will be able to read it. Talked to the Anson's salesman and I asked him if F&P had an inverter model, he said that they didn't. Sayang, nakabenta sana sila if they were able to explain it to me the way that you did.

10. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Just received my replacement unit this afternoon. Hope that this one lasts longer than the last one.

11. Kritiker

Kritiker Member

Our parents' ref is an Electrolux - survived 2 floods around half-leg deep (ondoy and 2012 habagat). It's still working till now.

Mine, i also got an Electrolux ( reason I got is because it's the exact fit for our kitchen at the time). 2 years working till now.

12. coffeelover

coffeelover Member

Hi, we are currently looking for a refrigerator to replace our existing one. We're currently using an LG 20.5 cu. ft. inverter ref which is working very well, and quite energy efficient. However, it is definitely not enough for our use. We're looking for a bigger one instead of just adding another one. We saw some large inverter ref from Samsung and LG up to 28 cu. ft., but we're afraid it might still not be large enough. I noticed that larger (and higher end) refs usually have a water or ice dispenser which eats up internal space.

We saw a matching Fisher Paykel E450RXFD (fridge) and E388LXFD (freezer) which totals 30.9 cu. ft. However, we're concerned about its energy efficiency. I think it does not have an inverter compressor. Does anybody own this pair or have any experience with them?

Are there other refrigerators (around 30 cu. ft, budget of around P100k) I should consider?

Thanks!

13. RAC

RAC Member

Haier does not produce good products.

Fisher and Paykel is very good but pricy.

Elux is pretty good.

Frigidaire has the biggest side by side in the market. I think its about 34 cuft.

14. cookies

cookies Member

i wont recommend ge our ref freezer door breaks after 6 months

15. m4r14n

m4r14n Active Member

I love our Samsung Fridge. I have saved roughly 800 or more per month :)

16. GTdiver

GTdiver Member

Reviving this thread cause i'm about to purchase a new ref.

I'm currently using a 7cu ft Single door LG ref and it SUCKS big time. Freezer won't be able to freeze things if the item is not beside the edges or sides. It's been a problem since day 1, i think i got a lemon. After 3 years, i think it's time to change it, with the heat nowadays all it's giving me is medicore cold temperatures plus the gaskets look like they're about to go.

I just want the smallest 2 door inverter ref, maybe 7.2cu. I've been researching and looks like only samsung has. Read a lot of samsung horror stories ergo i might cross thata out of my choices soon. A lot good Panasonic reviews, but i don't think they have small sized 2 door inverter refs. Should i just get the conventional panasonic? Any input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks guys

17. zarghee

zarghee Member

I got a 7.2 cu Samsung inverter ref and it just consumes around .77 kW per day that's around P10 to P11.

18. GTdiver

GTdiver Member

How's the performance? How long have you had it? I've read reviews that it takes almost 3 days before it reaches proper temperature?

19. zarghee

zarghee Member

I got it October last year and never turned it off ever since. I think I never experienced the 3 days before it properly achieved the desired temperature. I've got ice cubes from the first hour we used it.

20. coolpix32

coolpix32 Active Member

I can vouch for Panasonic inverter ref. Five years and counting. I remembered seeing a smaller version but not as small as a 7cu ft..