Refrigerator Recommendations

Discussion in 'General OT' started by Kelvin, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Kelvin

Kelvin Active Member

Haha good thing I do CrossFit!

Saw the 4k TV displayed in Anson's, I think I made a puddle of drool because I was staring so long. But for 1.6M??!! I-pang IMAX ko na lang yun haha

Thanks for the input everyone! :)

2. Kelvin

Kelvin Active Member

Here it is guys! :)

[​IMG]

3. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Hi Kelvin, are you aware if the marketing term "digital inverter" is a real inverter? I'm also in the market for a ref, but a smaller one and is choosing between samsung and panasonic. I like the samsung more because of its sleek design but is having doubts about its durability.

4. Kelvin

Kelvin Active Member

It's really an inverter, I guess the digital aspect has something to do with how it's controlled or is just a marketing thing. The model I got has a 10 year warranty on the inverter so I should be fine unless another major part gives first. Got a really good deal so I'm happy with my purchase. Will let you know how much my electricity bill is after my first month of operation :)

5. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Thanks! Meanwhile, Panasonic's offering 12 year warranty on their ref units. But their design's a bit too lame as compared to Samsung's.

6. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

@Kelvin
    I saw your unit at S&R Fort
    Price is slightly marked down during the sale at 67.4k
    I like the Pigeon hole design, so you dont have to open the entire right door to reach for some items

7. slrseeker

slrseeker Member

+ one for Samsung since it's what we are using and it has no issues so far very comfortable to delt with especially in freezer where your water turns out of stone in just 5-10 minutes with a minimal calibration.

8. randyrivera

randyrivera Active Member

Believe me, you don't have to be. It's a lot more affordable. See my sig below. :)

But seriously, the market today showcases their kitchen more than say, their living room. So they tend to spend more now on kitchen stuff. It used to be that people invest in their home theaters or entertainment stuff, but today most new homes invest 5 times as much on ranges, ovens, refs, etc. for their 'open kitchens'.

9. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

The Samsung bought by Kelvin has a child-proof door, you have to hold the handle 3 seconds before you can open the door :)

10. Kelvin

Kelvin Active Member

Got my ref for 59,990 with a free 28" LED TV :)

Growing up, we were the type of family that had a dirty kitchen and a super nice kitchen that no one used. It didn't make sense to me, so with my house I'm not setting up a dirty kitchen and making the kitchen functional and really nice for everyone to use.

Reserving the Viking and Sub-Zero for the future rest house, fingers crossed haha :)

11. alikishi

alikishi Well-Known Member

That's what I plan when I get my own house :) invest a lot in the kitchen :)

12. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

How about freezers? any suggestions & tips for chest type freezers? any recommended brands? or upright freezers are still preferred?

13. crazy_boy

crazy_boy Member

sir, nice offer you got there. can you share where you got your unit? we're also in the market for a fridge.

Thanks!

14. Kelvin

Kelvin Active Member

Contact Joey Alva 0 9 1 7 5 1 1 7 1 1 3

Got all my other items from him as well. Great service, he would even reply and pickup my call on Sundays if I had any inquiry about the appliances I was interested in.

Please tell him I referred him to you :)

15. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

Fr. Allen, get the chest type if you can spare the footprint. The cold air doesn't spill out whenever you open the door.

16. crazy_boy

crazy_boy Member

thanks sir. will contact him :)

17. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

Which brand for a budget model is better? Which lasts longer?

For chest freezers, Haier or Condura?

For refrigerators, LG inverter or Panasonic?

18. Kelvin

Kelvin Active Member

Hi macdrive007 :) from my own research I you will always find one or two things negatively said about all ref brands on the internet. For my case, although some people complain about the Samsung refs emitting a weird sound after a few months of use, I still ended up getting it because it fit into my specific requirements (price, inverter, SBS doors, size requirement). I've heard a lot of good things about the Panasonic inverter but unfortunately they didn't have any model that fit into all my requirements.

19. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Well, my 2 week-old top freezer Samsung ref just conked out on me after a week of operating it. Good thing SM Appliances was kind enough to replace it with a new one after their service center cannot figure out what happened to the unit. I'm hoping that this is an isolated case since several relatives of mine are fine with their SBS.

How I wish it was compensated with a 40-inch LCD TV though :p

20. Time

Time Member

Be careful with Samsung. I had a side by side which broke down. They said they could no longer repair it. Good thing it was still under warranty. Otherwise it would have really hurt.

I am going to buy a new one from Fisher and Paykel.