Refrigerator Recommendations

Discussion in 'General OT' started by Kelvin, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Kelvin

Kelvin Active Member

Hi guys, need your opinion on what brand of refrigerator to buy. Basically here are my parameters:

1. I've always wanted a side-by-side type so I'm set on that. (Planning to use this ref for the next 10 years so I want the size big enough for a family).
    2. Inverter (I don't mind paying a bit more if it's going to save me more money in the long run)
    3. Energy Efficiency
    4. Budget is 40k to 75k

The cheapest I've seen so far is a Haier that only costs P37,000 (cash), but from my research there seems to be a lot of horror stories about dependability and after sales service for that brand. Although in fairness most of those reviews are from the US.

Although both brands look really great, I've read some bad review about Samsung and LG breaking down after two to three years of use so I'm starting to think that it might be a good idea to stick with the more traditional brands such as GE and Whirlpool (I haven't seen any side-by-side Kelvinator refrigerators so that's out). I'm also considering Fisher and Paykel, they feel really well built and I've read a lot of good reviews.

Don't really care much for built-in dispensers and ice makers, besides most of the refs that have that are way beyond my budget.

TIA guys :)

2. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

OT: There is poetic beauty in a ref referral thread started by a Kelvin. :D

3. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

^ I am trying to resist it myself :)

Kelvin, I've seen good looking ones at S&R but I can't recommend any particular model. My ref (traditional brand Whirlpool) is about 18 years old and still ok. Whirlpool is a brand I am willing to lay my money on again when the time to upgrade comes.

4. Kelvin

Kelvin Active Member

If only Kelvinator made side by side refs haha :)

5. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

My personal choice is the Panasonic Inverter NR-BY602XS in 21 cu.ft but it's not side-by-side. Rather, it sports the French-drawer type of freezer that in itself, makes sense. Since the ref section is on top, it's more convenient to access since it's at eye- and shoulder-level for the stuff that one usually gets from the ref. The freezer is at the bottom for the less often times (at most twice or thrice a day) that you need anything from the freezer.

Our Whirlpool 19-cube in stainless is more than ten years old and has no signs of quitting anytime soon. I wish it would or somebody would offer to take it off my hands so I can buy the Panasonic. Inverters make a lot of sense in refs because they're on 24x7.

If I were as rich as Napoles, I'd be sure to get a Sub-Zero, a Miele, a Viking or why not, a bespoke Meneghini.

6. Kelvin

Kelvin Active Member

That looks really practical Chito, definitely worth considering. Panasonic Inverter is superior ba to the way other manufacturer's implemented this tech? Seems like a lot of people prefer Panasonic's inverter products compared to others.

7. v8designstudio

Kitchen turf and SBS.... i like this thread already.

Ok, here's from experience.

Side by sides are great because they have large storage! I have not used anything else.

Built in dispensers and what have yous that allow you external access are good. not great. just good. If you want more internal space, dont get these models if you dont have chest type freezers, they eat internal space, especially those models that have water-ice dispensers. Besides, if you have children below 18 years old, this becomes a mess - unless you have househelps.

Let me take you off the negativities, Samsung ang LG are good brands for side by sides, although yes, LG did have issues with compressor fans of old (just the fans), but those have been remodelled already. the new ones, especially the inverter models would do you fine - and they have bigger after sales service networks especially in the metro. The problem with LG is their magnetic rubber seals around the doors which, to my fascination, twirls on the same location. Lower right side. (on the 3 different models i have used).

What you would want to stay away from would be westinghouse and electrolux (which i think are one and the same oem) because their doors fall off on the hinges within 2-4 years.

The Sharp Plasmacluster french doors SBS is a winner, but costs upwards of 100k. its a wow really.

Ten years for a ref-freezer is a long time, they do work longer than that, but energy-saving technologies that break through the cost-vs-benefit line and becomes consumer cheap after a time is also a plus, so you may want to take advantage of those features.

In the end, you really just need to focus on a few items. Storage capacity, energy efficiency and after sales service. If you got that covered, make wifey smile with a really big box delivery. Im sure she'll give you a big hug too.

PS : Stay away from high end signature series of most brands. They are really picky on voltage and wattages and frequency stuffs - you wont get much life from them if your electrical system is not sophisticated (steady) enough.

Go get it!

8. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Panasonic appears to have an impressive record vis-à-vis cooling compressors (refs, aircons, consumer and industrial) so I'd trust them with my hard-earned money. One other thing I like about modern refs is that their interior lights are LED and they're near the outer edge (by the door) so the light shines IN toward the contents. Old-fashioned refs have bulbs at the back where they don't do squat when they get obscured by bottles, cartons and what have you.

BTW, the model I suggested is within your budget. LGs are more expensive, so are Samsungs.

9. Kelvin

Kelvin Active Member

I'm actually setting up the nest for the future family haha :) I let my girlfriend pick the oven (she got an Elba with a cast iron grill and gas convection oven) and the washer + dryer (Whirlpool) so the decision on the ref is completely up to me!

So v8designstudio (sorry, your real name isn't indicated), should I still consider Samsungs and LGs? How about Haier? The sales guy from Haier told me that the reason they're cheap is because they don't advertise.

Just checked Chito, the Panasonic refs you recommended won't fit, it's too deep and will stick out beyond the counter top. Maximum size for the ref would be HxWxD 194x93x65 cm.

Really appreciate the input guys!

10. v8designstudio

Boss Chito's Sub-Zero pref is of course ... to die for on a kitchen.

Going back to you Kel... Samsung and LG are brands that fight to death for customers. They almost always have the same tech. just different call signs. Its ALMOST one and the same. When you buy their SBS line today for their price tags today, you would be disappointed that they will cost almost half its price in 6 months time. The key is not the price, its the benefit you will get after buying. Haier and fisher paykel (which i really drool because of its monolith design) are like exotics and are manufactured in the same stringent quality controls so you can't go wrong deciding to go that way, but really, you end up the winner on the cut throat competition for better performance of other brands, whether they advertise or not. After sales do not forget.

Also, anti-odor feature will do you good. To rid your ref of stink from frozen blood, especially meat and fish.

The price you will soon forget, the technology you will soon take advantage.

To trim your choices. Only get inverter-motor models. LED lighting. Odor-removal feature. Variable temp bins. Real stainless doors.
    Then trim the list on those items that give you the storage you need.
    Then trim that list that will get you to the preferred budget allocation.
    Then trim that list to what look good on the outside.
    and thats it.

If it was me. It'll be the french doors Plasmacluster. Hihihihi...

11. Kelvin

Kelvin Active Member

I'll check out that Sharp Plasmacluster later, kaya lang that'll eat up on my LED TV budget haha :)

12. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

Just stay away from GE Refs.

13. Kelvin

Kelvin Active Member

Bad experience with GE David?

14. alikishi

alikishi Well-Known Member

15. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

GE Refs aren't like what they used to be. Bought a SBS GE Ref and just after a year the compressor konks out. Turns out that GE Refs are actually Daewoo Refs... same ones who brought us the Daewoo Racers / Espero and now under new badge Spark Optra Trailblazer et al. Googled on the GE Ref model and apparently 8 out of 10 who bought them had defective compressors just after a year of use.

16. Kelvin

Kelvin Active Member

Noted on the GEs David, thanks for the heads up.

Hi Alyson, 100k is too steep, less money for my LED TV haha :) Your ref looks awesome though! :)

17. minggoy

minggoy Active Member

can 75k buy a SMEG refrigerator? i just love their retro style refs

18. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

So GEs aren't the way they used to be huh?

We have a GE ref that we sent to the province and it still chugging along, never had any freon issues whatsoever. My mom said they bought it in 1973.

19. Kelvin

Kelvin Active Member

Due to size considerations I think we're set on the Samsung RS554NRUASL:
    - SBS Layout
    - Fits the ref provision of my kitchen perfectly H 178.9 x W 91.2 x D 61.2 cm
    - Deodorizing Filter (I'm sure not as good as the Plasma Cluster tech of Sharp but heck, it's better than nothing)
    - 2 Minutes door open alarm
    - and it looks great :)

Will post pictures once it's installed :)

20. v8designstudio

Yey! isn't that something! Someone's got a new addition to the house.

Great choice. 65 inch LED tv next. 1080p HD for now. then Ultra HD. Then 4k. Upgrade fever wont stop biting.

Now all you have to do, is to keep the food binge alive only on weekends or else you end up the same size as that ref AND tv in no time. hihihi...

Cheers Kel.