Recommended VPN Service Provider?

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by piedad, Nov 19, 2012.

1. jessica558

jessica558 New Member

I've being using ExpressVPN which is a little disconnecting problem so I found FastestVPN on Tanga which is cheapest and speedy VPN maybe this is a new VPN provider that's why.

2. macxchange

macxchange Well-Known Member

Hi. Is there a way, I can install VPN on my wifi router (provided by telco) so that all my devices connected on the network can enjoy virtual private network?

3. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

You're gonna need your own router to do such a thing. Preferable one that can be flashed with custom firmware.

macxchange likes this.
  4. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

What's the experience of users of NordVPN & ExpressVPN?

5. Edelheid

Edelheid PhilMUG Addict Member

I don't have extensive knowledge of NordVPN because I ditched it after comparing it side-by-side with ExpressVPN last month. NordVPN is economical and has plenty of discount deals, but it came out slower than ExpressVPN. ExpressVPN costs more, especially for month-to-month subscribers, but if what you're after is maximising your download speed, you get what you pay for.

My experience with NordVPN also involved frequent disconnections from their servers. They have loads of them, but that's exactly why I wasn't excited at the prospect of hopping from one server to another just to figure out which among them is more reliable. I didn't run into this particular problem with ExpressVPN, though their Mac app could very well use a facelift. NordVPN's Mac app is a bit more friendlier.

Between those two providers, it all sums up to what you're looking for in a VPN. I don't think there's a bad choice between the two, they are very aggressive at marketing but, fortunately, it doesn't come at the cost of both your security and privacy. You only need to weigh in the price, features, policy, etc. to make an informed decision. To use myself as an example, I'd choose ExpressVPN for split-tunnelling alone.

If you want to take ExpressVPN out for a spin, keep in mind they have no free trial. They want you to pay upfront first and then asks you to request a refund if you're not satisfied for any reason. That's their "trial".

EDIT: Speaking of split-tunnelling, there's a known bug with Safari 12. Thought I'd put that out there. Not a big deal to me because my browser will be the last app to get exempted from using my VPN.

There might also be a bug concerning macOS Mojave and ExpressVPN. Both versions 6.7.6 and 7.0.2 have trouble establishing a connection after my Mac wakes up from sleep. The app could tell you it "successfully reconnected", but in truth you're not really connected to the internet at all. I'm currently in touch with ExpressVPN to try and get to the bottom of this.

#125 Edelheid, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    Anmi, VicB and raypin like this.