Recommended VPN Service Provider?

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by piedad, Nov 19, 2012.

1. jessica558

jessica558 New Member

I've being using ExpressVPN which is a little disconnecting problem so I found FastestVPN on Tanga which is cheapest and speedy VPN maybe this is a new VPN provider that's why.

2. macxchange

macxchange Well-Known Member

Hi. Is there a way, I can install VPN on my wifi router (provided by telco) so that all my devices connected on the network can enjoy virtual private network?

3. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

You're gonna need your own router to do such a thing. Preferable one that can be flashed with custom firmware.

macxchange likes this.
  4. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

What's the experience of users of NordVPN & ExpressVPN?

5. Edelheid

Edelheid PhilMUG Addict Member

I don't have extensive knowledge of NordVPN because I ditched it after comparing it side-by-side with ExpressVPN last month. NordVPN is economical and has plenty of discount deals, but it came out slower than ExpressVPN. ExpressVPN costs more, especially for month-to-month subscribers, but if what you're after is maximising your download speed, you get what you pay for.

My experience with NordVPN also involved frequent disconnections from their servers. They have loads of them, but that's exactly why I wasn't excited at the prospect of hopping from one server to another just to figure out which among them is more reliable. I didn't run into this particular problem with ExpressVPN, though their Mac app could very well use a facelift. NordVPN's Mac app is a bit more friendlier.

Between those two providers, it all sums up to what you're looking for in a VPN. I don't think there's a bad choice between the two, they are very aggressive at marketing but, fortunately, it doesn't come at the cost of both your security and privacy. You only need to weigh in the price, features, policy, etc. to make an informed decision. To use myself as an example, I'd choose ExpressVPN for split-tunnelling alone.

If you want to take ExpressVPN out for a spin, keep in mind they have no free trial. They want you to pay upfront first and then asks you to request a refund if you're not satisfied for any reason. That's their "trial".

EDIT: Speaking of split-tunnelling, there's a known bug with Safari 12. Thought I'd put that out there. Not a big deal to me because my browser will be the last app to get exempted from using my VPN.

There might also be a bug concerning macOS Mojave and ExpressVPN. Both versions 6.7.6 and 7.0.2 have trouble establishing a connection after my Mac wakes up from sleep. The app could tell you it "successfully reconnected", but in truth you're not really connected to the internet at all. I'm currently in touch with ExpressVPN to try and get to the bottom of this.

#125 Edelheid, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    Anmi, VicB and raypin like this.
  6. Edelheid

Yeah, okay, remove NordVPN. They got breached in March 2018 and only knew of it several months ago. That's one month too many before letting the public know about it only today. They "triggered" the infosec community they say.

To me their blog post trying to explain what happened reads mostly like saving face, which is clearly what they excel at first and foremost: marketing. They spend millions on TV commercials and ads, but apparently not enough of the same is poured on keeping their systems on top.

The bottomline here is if you still an ounce of trust in NordVPN. They have cheap 3-year plans (that they won't let you refund even after this shitshow) but it's up to you to weigh whether or not your online activity is worth risking in exchange for some money saved.

7. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

Oooooh... I was planning on signing up with NordVPN, good thing I read this. Thanks!
    In the meantime, what do you think of CyberGhost? I'm mainly interested in them coz:
    [ 1 ] cute logo / company mascot
    [ 2 ] transparency as to the identities of their team members

I know, shallow, but yeah, I'm still interested in them. Your feedback would be very much appreciated. Thanks again!

8. Edelheid

@pochiman I get you, a good logo can get me hooked too. But, unfortunately, I am unable to say anything about CyberGhost since I never really tried it out.

Instead allow me to share you the review of a third-party regarding CyberGhost. It's a relatively long post, but the conclusion is that they're not confident in recommending it for reasons cited there.

Make of that what you will.

If you have free time to spare, I recommend reading this article too: https://restoreprivacy.com/vpn-scams/

9. jologs

jologs Active Member

NordVPN got hacked.

10. jlconferido

jlconferido Active Member

I cancelled my NordVPN subscription. Connection is always an issue.

11. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

For users of ExpressVPN, can you stream 4K? Does the ExpressVPN DNS work fine?

12. cHad

cHad Member

mullvad.net and use their wireguard servers. Connects in 2-4 seconds and stable.

13. kinse_44

kinse_44 Well-Known Member

Yes I can stream 4K on my Android TV box with the VPN and 9 times out of 10 no buffering.

I don’t use the DNS service they provide because it doesn’t unblock all US streaming sites like Sling TV, and other TV apps. It’s also hit or miss with the big 3 streaming sites: Netflix US, Hulu, and Prime Video. That’s why I still have Getflix for my Apple TV.

Juice likes this.
  14. caffelatte

caffelatte Member

off topic. getflix has a free vpn service if you're paying for their service.

15. kinse_44

kinse_44 Well-Known Member

Yeah but it's not that fast and reliable compared to ExpressVPN.

16. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I have a couple of questions strictly for those who use VPN for privacy purposes.

Question 1: Do you use VPN when connecting through a public hotspot? By public hotspot, I mean those WiFi services provided by malls, cafe's, and other commercial establishments whether paid or free.

Question 2: Do you use VPN even when using your own data plan?

17. Edelheid

Yes. That's the bare minimum for owning a VPN for privacy purposes.

Depends if I have even an ounce of trust for my plan provider. For the same reason that I don't use a VPN on my Wi-Fi at home, I don't use a VPN for my cellular plans.

Nowadays be it on Wi-Fi (private or public) or cellular data Guardian Firewall is pretty much my only setup-and-forget solution. It's always on. I'm just waiting for a Mac app to come and I can unsubscribe from Mullvad. It's not that there's anything wrong with them at all, I've been with them for years and WireGuard is stupid fast. But I would rather pay $10 than $15.

18. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

The reason I asked is because, although I have a lifetime VPN subscription with VPN Unlimited, I began to have doubts whether or not they're really more secure. So to alleviate this, I recently started using my own VPN for privacy purposes. What I did was setup OpenVPN on my home firewall and configured two profiles... One is a full tunnel while the other is a split-tunnel.

Connecting using a full tunnel means ALL traffic from the remote device is tunneled to my home network, goes through my home firewall filters, before going out to the internet... wash, rinse, and repeat. I use this for internet privacy as well as having the ability to administer devices at home, as if I was directly connected to my home network.

Split-tunnel means that traffic destined to my home network goes through the tunnel. Internet traffic on the other hand, doesn't pass through the tunnel. This is just for managing my home devices. This also provides the best performance for internet traffic.

I am thinking of setting up full tunnel on my kids' devices whenever they're connected to a foreign network outside my home (ie. hotspot, friend's house, data plan, etc.) That way, even though I have ESET Parental Control installed on them, all my "kids" policies applied on my firewall can still provide a 2nd layer of protection and filtering.

As for the 2nd question... I now realize it doesn't make much sense other than to bypass filtering/censorship that is set by whoever is your mobile phone service provider.

19. Edelheid

I always suggest against buying into those lifetime VPN subscriptions. Majority of them are shady companies that tries to squeeze as much as they possibly can and then when they can't profit from it anymore they shut down and start another VPN service under a new name. Rinse and repeat. That's basically how lifetime really works, it's just the lifetime of the provider.

Personally, if I can't trust them to run a profitable service (which it isn't, it can't be profitable if they sell lifetime licenses in bulk) naturally it's impossible to trust them to store zero logs or keep me in their best interests. Heck, even with trustworthy alternatives it's impossible to guarantee my feeble $5/month will encourage them to fight the subpoena which will easily incur them thousands of lawyer fees just for one or a small subset of individuals.

Buying into unlimited VPN offers is only viable if you don't care about the privacy implications (fair enough) and you only plan to use it to bypass blocked content as you have previously mentioned. IMO it's only a step up from free VPN solutions that have been revealed to sell you out.

And yes, if you trust Globe/PLDT/Converge then it's good enough of a VPN to keep you safe in public networks. All you really need to avoid is potentially malicious users connected to the same Wi-Fi network as you, and a VPN helps against that. It's only a bad idea to set up your own local VPN if you're solemnly up to no good, whether in your own private Wi-Fi or public Wi-Fi. That, and you need to be mindful about your configuration. I used Algo for my own personal setup before.

#139 Edelheid, Nov 12, 2019 at 12:06 PM
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019 at 12:43 PM
  20. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

Although this is a pseudo/hybrid DNS/VPN service, has anyone tried using WARP/1.1.1.1 from cloudflare? Any thoughts about it?