Recommended VPN Service Provider?

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by piedad, Nov 19, 2012.

1. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

Re: vpn/proxy recommendations please

I'm in the same situation with you. Got purevpn plus static ip. Was getting 200k from 20k. Am on 3mbps plan with pldt.

Tried LTE and getting 2mbps on torrent.

Lousy pldt dsl now.

2. balikpinoy

balikpinoy Member

3. Reepicheep

Reepicheep Member

Also having issues with PLDT, appreciate recommendations for an affordable VPN might get 1 month subscription.

Edit: Got privateinternetaccess @ $6.95. Monitoring if there will be speed improvement.

#43 Reepicheep, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  4. alvinrayyu

alvinrayyu Active Member

try StrongVPN

StrongVPN have $55/year or $21/3 months packages

My siblings in the Philippines are subscribed to both PLDT DSL and StrongVPN

5. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

6. PatrickU

PatrickU New Member

Hi,

I have used PureVPN and it works well. The speeds are good too. I have did a detailed video review about it (and doing speeds tests too) on YouTube over here. Have also written a detailed article/review about it which you can check here.

Also recently did HideMyAss review too (a bit long one) which if you want can watch here. However seeing the speed being a factor for you, HMA does not have as good speeds as PureVPN but it does have it's own pros and cons. You can read in depth HideMyAss Review post of mine too which I just ended up writing a couple of hours ago.

I do detailed VPN reviews about various companies and do plan to do and cover majority of the providers so I can know which sucks and which works and thereby readers like you have someone you can count on for honest reviews. :)

If you have any questions or doubts, feel free to ask. I'm subscribing to this topic.

PinkHunny likes this.
  7. joging

joging Member

Ok this info is all very helpful. Now does anyone have experience setting this up on a network powered by Airport Extremes? I know you can't run openvpn for example on an airport, but I heard there are other ways (L2TP for example). I would really like it where my entire network is running on vpn (including apple tv) so if there is a way to set this up at the router that would be ideal. Also, kids can't understand that when their favorite youtube video doesn't load it's a pldt issue and they just get upset. So something that "just works" is what I'm desperate for...

FWIW I have been using this for about a week:

Smart DNS Proxy | Unblock Web Sites & Digital Media

It's really easy to setup and actually works pretty good as well since it's just dns. But it does route things like youtube/google/etc. via US and I don't have the typical loading issues when using pldt dns (or even open/google dns). Latency is a bit higher sure and it messes up some iTunes downloads (since I'm sure it thinks I'm in the US) but overall it's not bad and free atm. Not sure how using a VPN would compare I guess I would have to make some tests...

8. PatrickU

PatrickU New Member

Hey,

Good day again.

I do still think PureVPN would be best choice to make. The reason is HMA having poor speeds as I can see it is very concern here like I said in my previous post. PureVPN has I think second best good number of IP pool (numbers) after HMA. And Out of all the reviews and VPNs I tested so far, PureVPN beat the speed if you have seen my PureVPN video review.

Airport Extreme - Hmm. I've not used it but is it anything like DD-WRT? I see it much similar to like those normal routers so I think there is no reason why it wouldn't work. They have guides for setting it up on various routers so you can take that as a baseline and go from there configuring it. It is quite easy and isn't as hard as it looks. You can watch some VPN configuration tutorial for routers on YouTube and you'd definitely get the catch. It's simple stuff like entering credentials, selecting protocols and that's it.

Hope that helps.

9. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

MOD NOTE: Merged this thread with existing VPN discussion thread.

10. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Anyone on Strongvpn? What server are you using? My 20mbps is just 7mbps when connected.

11. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm on one of the Miami servers.

Which VPN server are you connected to and what Speedtest server do you gauge your speed with?

12. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I'm on the SF-66 server. I used the speedtest but tested it using PLDT Makati server. Instead of the 20MBPs, i'm getting 7MBPs. Is it normal cause I'm using a VPN?

13. balikpinoy

balikpinoy Member

I'm having the same issue after having my modem switched to bridge mode. The speed is about 9mbps regardless of DNS used.

Under monitoring daw...

14. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I wouldn't say it's normal but it is expected that you're unlikely to see 20mbps when doing speedtests to PLDT routed through the VPN.

Speedtest to PLDT through a non-VPN connection:
    The test packets goes directly from your home to PLDT

Speedtest to PLDT through a VPN connection (US VPN server):
    The test packets goes through the tunnel and out the US server, then doubles back to PLDT

Probably a more accurate speedtest measurement is to use a speedtest server that is nearest your VPN server.

15. lordzden

lordzden New Member

16. blackpolice

blackpolice New Member

I am using cyberghost and ZenVPN. I prefer using ZenVPN.

17. zero.

zero. Active Member

I'm using 2 VPN's. Astrill (main VPN, renewed every 6 months) and VPNUnlimited (backup, bought a 3 year subscription on promo for only $19.)

Astrill is very stable and technical support is very reliable. You can also order from them a router flashed with their VPN settings and all your wireless devices are on it (ideal for multiple devices at home, i.e. desktop/laptop, tablets, smartphones and game consoles like PS4/XBOX). Works great with torrents too.

VPN Unlimited is cheap, and great for torrents. However a lot complain about frequent disconnections with it. It's affected by a code in OSX that limits connection to it's VPN service to around 30-45 minutes every time you connect. So I only use it as a backup. My subscription with it runs until 2017.

18. lennon0131

lennon0131 Member

I use Astrill VPN for 3 years now since the great Chinese firewall blocks all websites that most expats living in the mainland use. It's not perfect but it's reliable.

19. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

I also grabbed the $19 for 3 years. I was able to torrent for the first few weeks but now I can't torrent anymore with VPN Unlimited.

20. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

any battery drain if I turn my VPN is "Always On" on my iPhone ?