Recommended VPN Service Provider?

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by piedad, Nov 19, 2012.

1. piedad

piedad Well-Known Member

Hi. Anyone here using a VPN service with anonymizer and US-based IP to access US-only content? I prefer one which I can setup in the router so all devices are protected.

Thanks

2. Dipp

Dipp Active Member

3. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

Been using StrongVPN on my DD-WRT flashed router for about 2 months now. I can say that it's pretty smooth-sailing and fast so far while streaming Netflix and Spotify content to my devices.

I suggest to go to their site to check if your router is supported.

4. dandelionne

dandelionne Member

May I know what is your ISP and plan? I'm currently on Globe dsl Plan 1299 at 2 mbps, Globe Tatoo 999 on my iPad @ 3 mbps max and my VPN provider is Private Internet Access yet I get this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

StrongVPN seems good but at that price, I HOPE I won't get these kind of crappy receptions. Only in the iPhone do I get good reception.

5. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

I'm using Tattoo Wireless 999 and this is my setup. Now you're wondering about the speed.. Our area is upgraded to HSPA+.

That's pretty crappy service imo. I do not get that blurry/lowres video in my experience with StrongVPN. I'm on their $85/yr OpenVPN Special right now. I've used their $55 PPTP Special about 2 years ago and it was also fine streaming ABC/Hulu shows at that time.

I know it is a bit steep, but the service and support I'm getting is worth the $$$. +DD-WRT support!

6. Tray

Tray Member

I used to subscribe to strong VPN then switched to hide my ass VPN because cheaper rates

7. vikyyy1

vikyyy1 New Member

I am using Kepard, and I am very pleased with it.:D

8. bluedragonph

bluedragonph Active Member

Strong VPN for me for more than a year now. I have great experience with it whether streaming on my apple devices or over apple TV.

9. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

Using unblock-us.com

Cheap and easy to set up.

Works with all devices.

10. poison_ivy

poison_ivy Member

If you just want to browser US websites and not stream content superfreevpn.com works fine. I'm also subscribed to hotspot shield's 1 year service when it was on sale for $9 a year, I think, but I mostly use this to shop on Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, a&f, and other sites that won't allow ip address outside USA. Superfreevpn also works for accessing Google Play store.

11. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

^Watch out for those free VPN service. We do not know the integrity of the entity running those servers. I've used them before (bestfreevpn.com), the service is a hit or miss IMO. But that's what you get for paying zero $$$.

12. ikitub

ikitub Active Member

Im using hidemyass

13. marjoejoejoe

marjoejoejoe Member

I'm stuck choosing between Hide My Ass and Net Shade.....any more tips/comments?

-------------------------------------
    Update:

opted for HMA for a 6 month subscription.....good speeds, easy to use..hope no hiccups in the future...

#13 marjoejoejoe, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  14. dazzler

dazzler New Member

Never had problems with Strong VPN. Prices are quite reasonable too.

15. godivachoc

godivachoc Active Member

Is this what I need to use my Roku 3? :) Just wondering too if it's easy to setup :) Thanks!

16. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

^ Yep. To be honest, setup is not quite straightforward. First off, you'll need to create a US email account, then you also need an international credit card. Finally, on the technical aspect, the Roku 3 can't be configured with a static IP address and gateway. It only wrks with DHCP so you need to set it up in a way that the gateway is set to point to your VPN router. I did this using reserved IP on my DHCP server.

Subscribed to both the PPTP/L2TP and OpenVPN plans ($55 + $85 per year).

Hardly watched local and satellite channels ever since.

17. godivachoc

godivachoc Active Member

sounds complicated sir :( They said i have to set it up with a router since Roku 3 doesn't have a VPN setup. Hassle :(

18. xxadonisxx

xxadonisxx Active Member

i am using astrill vpn and i set it up on my linksys e1200 dd-wrt flashed router, working flawlessly on all my devices, i even get HD streams on netflix, hulu plus and amazon prime

19. godivachoc

godivachoc Active Member

Are you using a Roku3 or similar device sir? :)

20. xxadonisxx

xxadonisxx Active Member

I am currently using xbox360 ang google chromecast, my roku 3 is coming in next week