Recommend a UPS

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by Leon21, Nov 20, 2013.

1. berniedd

berniedd Member

About UPS batteries dying, expect 2-3 years from a new one. That's because most UPS continue to give their batteries charging current even when they are fully charged. That's just the way they were designed. A smarter UPS design that does not cook batteries is simply more expensive to design and construct. I have solved this problem by replacing the standard gel cell batteries in all my UPS with motorcycle lead acid flooded units. Not only are the motorcycle batteries cheaper than the gel cells, they last longer. I am on their 7th year already and they are still fine. Just a few caveats: I can't install the wet cell batts inside the UPS housing so I drilled 2 holes in the back panel and connected thick "extension cord wires of around gauge 10 stranded wire" to bring out the + and - battery leads outside the unit to connect to the batteries. Wet cell batteries contain liquid acid, so there's the danger of tipping the battery over and spilling the acid on your floor. Wet cells release explosive hydrogen when charging and discharging, so you must have good exhaust ventilation in your room. Last, electrolysis depletes the water in them, so I have to add distilled water once a year to them. I use a medical syringe and Wilkins or Absolute bottled water.

Another plus for wet cell batteries: Most gell cell batteries in UPS of around 650 VA are rated 7 AHrs. You get around 15 minutes of reserve power with this. Install a bigger wet cell battery, and you increase its capacity to keep your computer rig going during power interruption. Heck, you can use a car battery of 33 AHr capacity, and it can keep you powered up for as long as an hour on battery power. Just be aware that, unless it has a cooling fan inside, your UPS electronics may overheat if you go this route.

2. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

^ That's nice. I've been playing around with that idea for a long time. In fact, I did something similar to an old Tripp Lite (I'll post pics later) wherein, originally, it required two (2) 6V 12AH batteries. What I did was replace it with just one 12V 12AH battery (because the 6V batteries were out of stock). But it had to sit outside the case so I hacked up holes for the wires to go through.

What's stopping me from moving to a wet cell battery are two things:

1. Safety - Like you said, acid spillage is one possibility. Though, it can be somewhat mitigated by securing the battery to the floor or put it in a spill-proof enclosure. What bothers me is the gas it produces. It's probably ok if its installed outdoors but most domestic UPS installations are indoors (offices, living rooms, bedrooms, study, etc). The risk of fire or at the least, indoor pollution is just too great to ignore
    2. Requires a deep-cycle battery - I would think that the typical car or motorcycle battery would die prematurely when drained past a certain threshold, which is usually the case when you run the UPS on backup mode for long lengths of time. For that reason, a deep-cycle battery is usually preferred.

I am impressed about the fact that you kept the motorcycle battery working for 7 years. Have you really drained it long enough that the low-battery warning came up? How much capacity has been lost since new?

3. berniedd

berniedd Member

Good call on using deep cycle batts. They are usually for marine applications (and much bigger than what I need), are harder to find, and tend to be more expensive than the regular stuff. I use the UPS with the wet cell batts in my house for ordinary use for my desktop computers. The electricity supply has been very consistent and it may have been only twice in the 7 years that the battery kicked in while in use, and only for a few minutes. So I can't say how much battery endurance remains.

4. Netskipper

Netskipper Well-Known Member

@oj88 may I ask for the name of that company that services APC units? I have a few dead APC UPS in the office that I'd like to recondition. Thanks a lot!

Also learning a lot from this thread. Keep it up!

5. oj88

Clixlogic - Small Unit Repair | CLIX Logic, Inc.

Let me just say that I am not connected with this company.

6. lordzden

lordzden New Member

Most people I know use the APC brand. You can just plug the cable into your mac which enables the built-in UPS controls.

7. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

How do you guys like the CyberPower UPS?

8. oj88

They're good. Read good reviews about them and I almost bought one. In the US, the PFC sinewave series is particularly popular. Too bad it wasn't available locally when I was in the market for it last year. Not sure now tho. I went for an APC SmartUPS (sinewave) instead.

9. onnyt

onnyt New Member

Where can I find a reseller for APC products? I live in White Beach, Puerto Galera so I'm traveling from Batangas Port to Manila.

10. oj88

I mostly buy them used online. The one time I bought new, I got it from a store in Cyberzone a long time ago.

Anyway, I think this link might help: Reseller/Partner Locator

11. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Can anyone recommend a rack mount UPS? Specifically for network switches?

12. macfrancis

macfrancis Member

SOCOMEC UPS is much better than APC. This product is made from France.

NPE-B600-U Netys / PE B600-U (no comms) / 600 va / PhP2,750
    NPE-B600 Netys / PE B600 (no comms) / 600 va / PhP3,500
    NPE-0650 Netys / PE 650VA USB 650 / 650va / PhP3,950
    NPE-0850 Netys / PE 850 VA USB 850 / 850va / PhP5,950
    NPE-1000-LCD / Netys PE 1000 USB / 1000 va / PhP8,500
    NPE-1500-LCD / Netys PE 1500 USB / 1500 va / PhP11,500
    NPE-2000-LCD / Netys PE 2000 USB / 2000 va / PhP13,550

The Distributor is
    TRICOM DYNAMICS INC.
    3F Metrohouse Bldg. Sen Gil Puyat Avenue Makati City

Contact Person: Don Serrano
    M